PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing clutch

BlueEP3
08-08-2010, 05:06 PM
ok i ran through the problem of my car not being able to get in gear while its on and when its off i can. i read a little bit but i can't seem to find the info im lookin for. can someone help me out on some pointers i have a plan but its really not a for sure thing and my car is on stands.

basically i have 100 to spend on a clutch and from what ive read its only the clutch disc thats a problem. i was wondering if i can replace it with an act 4 puck clutch. thing is what the hell is the difference between sprung and unsprung as far as driving the car? i loved how it drove OE wise. like i said i only got 100 if anyone knows of anything that would be good.

can i use a 4 puck with my stock flywheel and pressure plate?

Any feedback on ACT clutch 4 pucks?

sprung or unsprung? shed some info please.

my mods is im boosted but i don't race my car. it is very unoften i will get on it.

appreciate everything guys! sorry im a newb at the tranny part.

usedep3
08-08-2010, 07:47 PM
i think you're $100 budget is gonna be a major limitting factor...

BlueEP3
08-08-2010, 08:25 PM
well without labor and installation and what not do you think the whole clutch needs rebuilding or just the disc? if anything i might just go oe which is 120 of course being it is only the clutch disc

BlownSi05
08-09-2010, 05:20 AM
IS your EP a DD? If so, just go with the Exedy OEM disc. There is no reason to go with a 4 or 6 puck disc unless you are running fairly high amounts of torque and are tracking the car often. You need to select the clutch you get based on the amount of torque you are putting out. A 4 or 6 puck disc, which I am positive will require the paired Heavy Duty Pressure Plate to work properly, are going to be for the 300-400 wtq range. As you go down in contact surface, as in full face to 6-puck to 4-puck, the clutch engagement also becomes more aggressive and more difficult to drive, especially in stop-and-go traffic. Trust me, I have a 6-puck w/ heavy duty pressure plate in my JRSC-R ep3 and it is a pain in the ass. I ran my stock clutch for 80K+ miles with the JRSC-R @ 220whp/168wtq, and when I pulled it out, it still looked really good. I am pretty sure you would be extremely satisfied with the Exedy OE replacement.

BeaterEP
08-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah, OEM all the way for DD. Unless you're putting down a lot of extra power, really no need for anything else. :thumbu: