PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be New Owner

rgGolf4
12-10-2002, 07:12 AM
I posted last week about pricing new Si's and I am glad to say that I will be getting one in the near future. I am meeting the salesman today for our second set of negotiations, but things are working out well. I just need to hammer down a a couple things and I should be good to go.

I have never owned a manual, but always wanted one. I have driven a couple for short amounts of time, but never in busy traffic. What is the best way to learn? The salesman let me try on the Civic and I was able to get it going and what not (only stalled once) and drive around an empty lot. I think I just need practice, but I want to be able to drive it home. Any pointers?

atl-si
12-10-2002, 07:22 AM
Slowly ease off clutch(don't let go of it all the way), watch rpm to not stall, step on accelerator to go and let off clutch. Well, I guess some folks can explain it better than this.

ssvr6
12-10-2002, 08:24 AM
The best way to learn is just get out there and go.

Crappy moments in my "stick driving" adventures

After practicing for 30 mins the first day I had my truck, me and 3 friends decide to go out. I drive and stall in the middle of major intersection. After everyone but my passenger was yelling at me to go I finally got moving before on coming traffic hit me. :p

After driving for a week, I was stuck in 2 hours of traffic the first day I drive my manual to work. Damn did my leg hurt. :mad:

After 2 weeks, catching the light ON A HILL so when it turned green I was trying not to roll back to much and ended up peeling out like a mad man. :D

Good luck, it's not that bad.

Steve

I_VTEC
12-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Major Tip: Give it PLENTY of gas. I learned about a year ago, pretty fun shit once you figure it all out. Use the e-brake on hills, it really helps. I stalled sooooo many times when I first learned. Just remember, you don't have to get a manual, you choose to.

rgGolf4
12-10-2002, 09:33 AM
I am choosing a manual. No one can just pick it up the first time. I am confident that I can learn quickly...just need to practice.

ssvr6
12-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by rgGolf4
I am confident that I can learn quickly...just need to practice.

Exactly

Steve

IceD out N CALI
12-10-2002, 10:17 AM
good place to learn/practice is in an empty parking lot. first gear is the worst gear. so all u need is to get that down and once u get that down then the rest are easier. of course after 5th its like an automatic on the open highway :)

Gibhunter
12-10-2002, 11:29 AM
On hills, let out the clutch till you almost stall, then let go of the brakes and the car will not roll backwards. Then just apply some gas and slowly let out the rest of the clutch. Easy as pie man. It will take you some time to get used to where the stall point of the clutch is, but once you know where it is, driving a stick is really no problem.