PDA

View Full Version : TEST PIPE vs. STOCK.... WORTH THE LEGAL PROBLEMS?

SUSHI_NE1
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
So.... I just got a P0420 code today. From what I have read, I may have to get a new Cat. Seeing as a new honda Cat is like $900.... I'm not gonna go that rout. I know there are some other after market ones, but they don't last very long... SO THATS OUT TO!... Unless anyone can tell me what a good Cat company's that will sell one for like $200-$300 OR CHEAPER! :mbiggrin:

BUT... The thought crossed my mind about getting a Test Pipe. A Megan Racing Test Pipe is only $115 Shipped from CoreSport, and all I would need is the o2 Sim.... So... Now comes the questions about police. How many people have had their Cat checked by a cop and then fined or towed? I live in Cali. so thats why I ask.

I currently have a DC Shorty Header, RSX-S Midpipe and Stock Axle-Back.

WHAT SHOULD I DO EPHATCH?

EPSU3
08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
I'd keep an eye on clubrsx for a used cat header combo. You're in socal so it shouldn't be hard since you already have the type s mid. Or EP3 spec rh with a hi flow welded in. Someone might want to correct me if I'm wrong but that may also be a bad secondary o2 sensor.

superstocksi
08-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I can't comment on what the enforcement of running catless might be in CA, but I'm sure that the fines that they could issue you are huge. You may also run into problems with having an aftermarket cat in CA, as most of the aftermarket cats are not legal in your state.
If you do decide to go with a megan racing test pipe, they can be found much cheaper than $110. I'll post an ebay link at the bottom to an ebay auction. It doesn't say that it is an MR test pipe, but I have ordered one from the same seller in the past along with a shorty header, and they are in fact MR. Make an offer for about $50 shipped and I bet that they will accecpt it. One good thing about the MR test pipe is that to the untrained eye, the resonator can pass for a cat, and you could even put the oem heat shielding on it to make it appear this way even more.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Test-Pipe-Resonator-Honda-Civic-SI-02-03-04-05-2-0L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ310177996246QQptZRaceQ5fCa rQ5fParts

superchargedk20
08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
high flow cat from magnaflow. I used it with my Dc shorty header and apexi exhaust forever ago. No codes, its 50 bucks. Its a universal cat but ANY exhaust shop can weld it on. Simple

johnkimble
08-11-2010, 09:41 PM
except magnaflow doesn't make a california legal cat.

dude just roll around with your CEL and keep an eye out for a cat popping up on here. I got a used cat on here for less than 150 shipped!

johnkimble
08-11-2010, 09:45 PM
ps I had a pm in my inbox from a dude asking if I was still looking for a cat... I told him no a month ago, but have asked him if he still has it for you

classiccelica
08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I do know that if your stock catalytic converter is bad and a repair or smog shop confirms it that you can get a replacement from summit or jegs that are 50 state legal and not get in trouble over it. Your stock one must fail a test first to confirm it is bad then you can go from there. Test pipes are worth it if you have kpro to tune for the added air flow. I picked up a full car length from mine when I had kpro and the test pipe. See if you can get the type-s catalytic converter as I believe from messing with my buddies 06 type-s before selling it, it was a little bigger than ours.

dear adamantium
08-12-2010, 03:19 PM
i have a race header/test pipe/oem exhaust, and it isnt loud at all. So you wont get hassled for that, IDK about inspections. If you are interested i still have my stock one.

eurosteez
08-14-2010, 05:36 PM
i put a test pipe in with a 2.25" midpipe, megan shorty header with stock muffler....sounded wayyy too rice crackly. I'm looking into these...http://www.modacar.com/bolt-on/products/Random_Technology_High_Flow_Catalyatic_Converter_f or_2002_2005_Honda_Civic_Si_1_7L_2_0L_P_N_142_2200 3-39315-4715.html

wish they had a high flow cat w/ 2.5" outlet for the a3

btw might have been the jrsc that made that exhaust setup ricey

eurosteez
08-14-2010, 05:50 PM
See if you can get the type-s catalytic converter as I believe from messing with my buddies 06 type-s before selling it, it was a little bigger than ours.

Do you know if the type-s cat bolts on the a3 without choppping and welding?

SHG_EasyE
08-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Do you know if the type-s cat bolts on the a3 without choppping and welding?

You will need the RSX manifold, cat/downpipe, and midpipe for it to all work without cutting and welding.