PDA

View Full Version : Question on all kinds of suspension stuff

hondaguy92129
08-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey guys (and gals) I was just wondering what the benefit of using a spherical bearing over a regular poly bushing was? I'm still working on my suspension and I am wondering if it would be better to go with the spherical bearings or the energy suspension bushing kit. So far my upgrades are:

Progress Coilovers
DC5 type-s front calipers
SPC camber kit front and rear (no alignment yet, waiting to get the coilovers on)
ITR 22mm rear sway bar
Hotchkis rear endlinks

I have read that spherical bearings are wear items and are best left on track-only cars as they wear out fairly quickly and are also very noisy. I don't mind noise but does anyone here have any info on their longevity?

Also I'm planning on dropping the car about 1.5" front and rear, do you guys suggest getting the BC roll center adjusters? The description on them says they are necessary for cars dropped more than 2" but I'm wondering if they will help at all? With the way our suspension is designed I figure that anything that can correct the suspension geometry would help.

Last thing but is it worth it to upgrade to a LSD? The car is going to be daily driven but I'm hoping to hit the track in the future when I have more time. Specifically the one I'm looking at is the Quaife LSD as I have been reading that mechanical types are better for a DD than a clutch type.

sooo then lol any help would be appreciated, lots of questions I know :mwink:

thanks!

Tougeep3
08-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Hey guys (and gals) I was just wondering what the benefit of using a spherical bearing over a regular poly bushing was? The bearings have less deflection in them. I'm still working on my suspension and I am wondering if it would be better to go with the spherical bearings or the energy suspension bushing kit. DD, go with the bushings, even some of the Koni challenge cars run bushings over bearings. So far my upgrades are:

Progress Coilovers
DC5 type-s front calipers
SPC camber kit front and rear (no alignment yet, waiting to get the coilovers on)
ITR 22mm rear sway bar
Hotchkis rear endlinks

I have read that spherical bearings are wear items and are best left on track-only cars as they wear out fairly quickly and are also very noisy. I don't mind noise but does anyone here have any info on their longevity?

Also I'm planning on dropping the car about 1.5" front and rear, do you guys suggest getting the BC roll center adjusters? Can't hurt, but not NEEDED.. The description on them says they are necessary for cars dropped more than 2" but I'm wondering if they will help at all? With the way our suspension is designed I figure that anything that can correct the suspension geometry would help.

Last thing but is it worth it to upgrade to a LSD? YES, YES, YES.... The car is going to be daily driven but I'm hoping to hit the track in the future when I have more time. Specifically the one I'm looking at is the Quaife LSD as I have been reading that mechanical types are better for a DD than a clutch type.

sooo then lol any help would be appreciated, lots of questions I know :mwink:

thanks!

answers in bold..

hondaguy92129
08-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Alrighty then thanks a lot! I guess I will be getting the energy suspension bushing kit then :) and it also looks like a huge yes to the LSD lol time to start saving my pennies, those things arent cheap...

ep3egg
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
at the moment i have a spherical rear camber kit on my car made by D2. i also too read recently that spherical bearing upper control arms are best suitable for track driven cars i can tell u that they r noisy but it's tolerable. if i were u i would go with a poly rear camber i know i will soon.

hondaguy92129
08-12-2010, 09:23 PM
at the moment i have a spherical rear camber kit on my car made by D2. i also too read recently that spherical bearing upper control arms are best suitable for track driven cars i can tell u that they r noisy but it's tolerable. if i were u i would go with a poly rear camber i know i will soon.

Yeah thats the plan! On another note does anybody know WHY the mechanical LSD's are better than the clutch types?

Lucid Moments
08-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah thats the plan! On another note does anybody know WHY the mechanical LSD's are better than the clutch types?

The fact that they are better is arguable. The reason that people say they are better is that a clutch type LSD has clutch disks in it and they are subject to wear. So a clutch type LSD requires periodic rebuilding. I don't know how frequently that may happen though. The upside to a clutch type is that they are capable of transmittiong 100% of the engines torque to one wheel and a Torsen type differential is not. Also a Clutch type LSD functions under both acceleration and braking (depending on how it is set up) where a Torsen type works only under acceleration.