PDA

View Full Version : P0171 code

classiccelica
08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Hello all. I had a code come on today p0171 which is what has been discussed before as a running to lean condition. I did some research and found that it may be a primary o2 sensor taking a dump. Problem with that is I just replaced it, it was a bosch unit but I was hoping I didn't need the oem dealer 350 dollar one. Please help here. I have a scanner but don't want to risk running to lean for to long.

superchargedk20
08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I had a running lean code when i put my BCRH. I think i switched it with a NGK from corsport. I think it was 200 if i recall. Try the one from corsport , it hasnt failed on me yet. Fixed my code. Do u have a wideband gauge? best way to tell if ur running lean without pluggin in the labtop. WHen i had the code i figured it was just from the header but then my wideband would be in lean unless at WOT. Might have saved my motor.

Also this came to my mind. While i was waiting for the sensor from corsport i would rested the ecu by takin out the fuse. The code would go away from a good week or so while the ecu went the relearn phase or whatever u want to call it. During that i would get no cels and my air fuels would be fine. But then after 3-4 days or so the code would come back on and the car would be in lean again. So try ressettin the ecu , see if ur code goes away and that ur air fuels are back to normal. If that happens definately a faulty sensor

classiccelica
08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I have a scan tool so I already reset the code. Just hoping it doesn't come back on. I also read a thread that it could be the fuel filter being clogged. It is nearing 100k with what I believe to be the orginial filter as I have had it since 32k miles. I really do need a wide band I just can't afford one. I do have a narrow band I can hook up to get a rough estimate of what is going on.

classiccelica
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
So can anybody on here tell me what this is actually needing me to repair. I know that it could be the fuel filter or the primary o2. I put the new o2 in and it started throwing the p0171 code. I just can't afford right now to be a parts changer until it fixes the problem. I am a technician not a parts changer any how. So please somebody help me with this before I really consider selling the car sooner than I had planned on.

classiccelica
08-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Ok so nobody wants to help with this huh? I just don't want to spend 200+ dollars on something that isn't going to fix my problem