PDA

View Full Version : Ground Control worth it?

HK_EP3
12-10-2002, 03:31 PM
how come most of u just get springs? for $150 more, u can get GC. Is there anything about GC that is worst than Eibach springs? ride comfort and stuff like that? thanks.

ssvr6
12-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Because the GC's kinda suck IMO. Springs are created to fit the Si at a certain ride height. When you start to change that (IE GC's) you first, change the nature of the spring. Second, you add more stress to the stock shocks.

Get a spring/shock combo or real coilovers (H&R, Tein, etc..).

Steve

IceD out N CALI
12-10-2002, 04:26 PM
yeah that about sums it up, also GC's (from what i have seen not through personal experience) have other problems like noises and rubbing and stuff that might be able to remedied but why go through the headache when for cheaper u can get sportlines, or race springs, :)

chunky
12-10-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Si_Dra6NStyL
how come most of u just get springs? for $150 more, u can get GC. Is there anything about GC that is worst than Eibach springs? ride comfort and stuff like that? thanks.

i don't like coilover sleeves.

a) they use a shorter spring which means there are fewer coils, which translates into a less smooth ride as compared to regular springs. ground control uses eibach springs so it's a pretty good ride still, but the conventional drop springs would work better.

b) if your car ever becomes airborne, the ground control springs will come unseated. they will re-seat by themselves when the car hits the ground again, but it's just unsettling.

just pick the drop that you want, and get regular lowering springs. if you want a good ride, get progressive rate springs.

fishboy
12-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Si_Dra6NStyL

gcs are cool. very soft ride, the ones i have anyway. too soft sometimes. i like it because it is adjustable. i just raised my car back up this past weekend because i was getting sick of all the scraping i was doing when i had it dropped. and when i feel like dropping the car again i will, so in that way it is very cool, but they also kinda suck for the reasons mentioned above and i can vouch for the noise. i'm getting some teins later, the stock shocks i have are about to give. i say if you want them get them. i like them better than skunks, even though i have never had the skunks on my si, because the threads don't get damaged as easily as the skunk threads do. i have seen a couple skunk sets that had fucked up threads and it was really hard to adjust the height.

tkm
12-11-2002, 11:55 AM
You guys need to stop spreading rumors.

The GCs are superior in every way to the typical lowering springs and Tein SS setup.

Why?

--You can run any rate spring you like on the GCs. If you need to go stiffer, just buy a higher rated Eiback standard spring.

--height adjustability. Lower for summer, raise for winter, etc. You get the point.

--Any shock you want to run (and shocks will be made--just give it time). The shocks on the Tein SS setup is crap. tein valves them to have a soft "street" ride. You start autoxing or doing HPDE's, you quaickly learn they are not stiff enough.

--No noise if installed correctly. yes, you may need to use some rubber donuts to stop the sleeve from clanking around, but this is no big deal. GC should include these, but they don't.

--"unseated springs" can be stopped by using zipties. Old roadracer trick. And who becomes airborne on a city street anyways? if you do, you're driving stupid and noise should be the least of your concerns.

Lowering springs do one thing, and that's lower the car. They are not good for racing because the springrates are funky to promote a good street ride. if this is your cup of tea, then normal lowering springs is the way to go. However, if you want to have room for unlimited future possibilities, then the GC setup is the way to go.

The Tein SS is street suspension, period. Don't think it will be good anywhere else, because it won't. Go with a better setup if you want to persue that.

BTW--the word "coilover" is a description of a shock inside of a spring style of suspension. by definition, every setup we have talked about here is a coilover style of suspension. No one is more 'real' than the other.