PDA

View Full Version : EP3 CV axles same as DC5-base?

usedep3
08-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey guys. Im having trouble finding a definitive answer. I know that the RSX type s CV axles are different from oem ep3 CV axles but is it the same case for the dc5 base CV axles? I've read that all dc5 CV axles are slightly longer than those that come in the ep3.

2002-2005 USDM OEM axles = rsx base axles?

usedep3
08-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Bumpp

Ba82Ep3
08-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Supposedly there is a slight length difference... but i as well as others have used base RSX axles with no issues (both OEM and aftermarket). Side by side, if there is a difference, its miniscule. The RSX-S axles are definitely wrong, both in length and spline size at the hub.

usedep3
08-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Supposedly there is a slight length difference... but i as well as others have used base RSX axles with no issues (both OEM and aftermarket). Side by side, if there is a difference, its miniscule. The RSX-S axles are definitely wrong, both in length and spline size at the hub.

yeah, i think it's about a 1/4-1/2" difference in length. just wanted to see if anyone's used base DC5 axles. thanks for the reply dude. sorry to hear that you sold your ep. i admired the fact that you still had an ep even after you bought a FG. can't wait to see what you do with the civic coupe.

japarossa
08-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Rsx Base axles are exactly the same as ep3 axles, I just installed a set yesterday and side by side they were identical

Ba82Ep3
08-17-2010, 06:03 AM
yeah, i think it's about a 1/4-1/2" difference in length. just wanted to see if anyone's used base DC5 axles. thanks for the reply dude. sorry to hear that you sold your ep. i admired the fact that you still had an ep even after you bought a FG. can't wait to see what you do with the civic coupe.

No worries man. The base axles will work for ya... if you buy them from a place like Advance Auto... buy the new ones (blue box)... not the remanufactured ones. Not that the new axles are awesome or anything, but they are that much better than the remans and the price difference is minimal.

I love the EP. I hated to see it go. I grew to hate the FG. The older it got, the more issues it had that the EP never gave me. The EJ will serve its purpose, and the more i think about it... i want to paint it TW to remind me of the EP everyday i wheel it. :mcry:

usedep3
08-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Rsx Base axles are exactly the same as ep3 axles, I just installed a set yesterday and side by side they were identical

thanks dude for confirming

No worries man. The base axles will work for ya... if you buy them from a place like Advance Auto... buy the new ones (blue box)... not the remanufactured ones. Not that the new axles are awesome or anything, but they are that much better than the remans and the price difference is minimal.

I love the EP. I hated to see it go. I grew to hate the FG. The older it got, the more issues it had that the EP never gave me. The EJ will serve its purpose, and the more i think about it... i want to paint it TW to remind me of the EP everyday i wheel it. :mcry:

lol, so i'm guessing advance auto sells new axles in a blue box. at 69.99, they seem like a great bargain. i bought a pair of axles from pepboys and they were totally the wrong ones.

are these the ones?
right (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_New-CV-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-GSP_20870336-P_945_R|GRP60007_524507966___)
left (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_New-CV-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-GSP_20870335-P_945_R|GRP60007_524496904___)

wow, i'm surprised that you're having problems with the FG, i didnt know they were that problematic

Ba82Ep3
08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Yep, the GSP axles. Advance's online web page sux, so i wouldnt say that is them by either the picture or the part number. Your best bet is to write those part numbers down off the webpage, call your local store and ask for axles for an 04 Acura RSX. Specify its NOT the Type S. Compare the part numbers they give you. If they are right then youre good to go. Most stores carry them in stock (but not the EP axles... go figure), especially if its a 'hub' store. If you know a mechanic friend that works at a shop with an Advance Commercial account, he can get you the GSP axles for $49 each.

Pep Boys will try and sell you axles for the 1.7L Civic. Their computer program for parts is garbage. lol

Tougeep3
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
i as well as others have used base RSX axles with no issues (both OEM and aftermarket).

I just installed a set yesterday and side by side they were identical

2004 right??

What year are your guys' cars?

Ba82Ep3
08-17-2010, 11:19 AM
My EP was an 05, but the base RSX axles have been in use on a friends 02 EP as well.

thisisagame24
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
i have an 04 and my passanger axle is a base RSX one. so yes they fit

usedep3
08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Yep, the GSP axles. Advance's online web page sux, so i wouldnt say that is them by either the picture or the part number. Your best bet is to write those part numbers down off the webpage, call your local store and ask for axles for an 04 Acura RSX. Specify its NOT the Type S. Compare the part numbers they give you. If they are right then youre good to go. Most stores carry them in stock (but not the EP axles... go figure), especially if its a 'hub' store. If you know a mechanic friend that works at a shop with an Advance Commercial account, he can get you the GSP axles for $49 each.

Pep Boys will try and sell you axles for the 1.7L Civic. Their computer program for parts is garbage. lol

yea, i think that's what happened. i should've known better after they asked me if i had a manual or auto civic si. i picked up the GSP driver's side axle. the passenger side is suppose to come in tomm. the out CV joints dont seem to rotate as freely as i would have thought. did you have to pack some extra grease in them

mine is an 04

i have an 04 and my passanger axle is a base RSX one. so yes they fit

thank mike for confirming. i misses youz =(

Ba82Ep3
08-17-2010, 05:36 PM
yea, i think that's what happened. i should've known better after they asked me if i had a manual or auto civic si. i picked up the GSP driver's side axle. the passenger side is suppose to come in tomm. the out CV joints dont seem to rotate as freely as i would have thought. did you have to pack some extra grease in them

Nay on the extra grease. The boots do feel stiff when new, so the ends wont rotate as easily as your old ones. Its ok though... they are a better boot than whats on the reman'd axles.

Be sure you get your axle nut in the box. Its usually screwed onto the threads. If the straps that hold the box closed are cut or missing, DEFINITELY check for the nut. Matter of fact, check the box even if the straps arent cut (just to be safe). I remember some of them coming without the nut and the boxes never being opened at the time of sale.

usedep3
08-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Nay on the extra grease. The boots do feel stiff when new, so the ends wont rotate as easily as your old ones. Its ok though... they are a better boot than whats on the reman'd axles.

Be sure you get your axle nut in the box. Its usually screwed onto the threads. If the straps that hold the box closed are cut or missing, DEFINITELY check for the nut. Matter of fact, check the box even if the straps arent cut (just to be safe). I remember some of them coming without the nut and the boxes never being opened at the time of sale.

that makes sense. my driver's side axle didnt come with the straps but thankfully there was an axle nut. hey, thanks for all your help and the quick responses. i appreciate it. good luck on the new coupe. i can't wait to see it painted TW.

Ba82Ep3
08-17-2010, 07:28 PM
:mwink: Anytime...

japarossa
08-17-2010, 09:42 PM