PDA

View Full Version : k24a1 Type-S Head - Questions - header - oil filter

ImportCustomx
08-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Hey guys,

I have a k24a1 type-s swap (k24a2?). here are the specs
http://www.skunk2.com/Project%20Cars/project_rr.php

Yes i bought the skunk2 ep3. before i start taking care of her i want to be sure of my ways.

stock ep3's with minor add on's..no problem..full swaps, ehhhh im kinda weary.

So, my question is :

With the k24a1 with a type -s head what header can i use? what are my options? do i have to use a certain test pipe or a cat? give me options. i love the custom skunk2 header and exhuast, but its old and had its toll taken on it. so i am going to stick with the skunk2 exhuast and id like the skunk header but its on back order.
in short : what are my header options

How much oil is expected to be burning? right now its got a k&n gold filter..i personally do not like them, i like oem honda. So i am going to get a honda filter. should i look at a k24a1 (i believe thats a 04 crv block) should i use that filter? or an ep3 filter? or mister Hamp filter.
i used to run a hamp oil filters on my ep.
in short : what year make model oil filter do i look for...or what honda filter can i get ( honda only makes 4 filters or something i thought)

yes i could go to skunk2 and pester them...and i will, but they are a very busy company and with jack gone...ehhhhhh. But i will be building relationships with the sales force over there.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Answers

What oil filter to use with a k24a1 block and an rsx type s head :
2002 and Up - CRV, TSX, Or s2000

What header to use with this swap :
RSX type S- DC Sports Race Header (no sway or clearence issues, reguires modification to oem body cat heat shield)
Skunk2 K series Race header ( Double checking)
there are others but i am waiting for confirmed answers before posting.

Heitzke
08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Wrongs wrong with the existing header? It's not exactly a wear item and may be more trouble than it's worth to get another. Most any EP3 RH will fit this motor, it's more of an issue of height and clearance between the bottom of the car (and also the front sway). Since the K24 block height is 19mm taller, that sucks up most of the clearance of your average header.

Ba82Ep3
08-17-2010, 05:25 PM
You can use a filter off the 2002 and up CRV, the TSX, the RSX, the EP, or even the s2000. The s2000 filter has a smaller filter body, but the same base and thread dimensions. Filter brand is your choice. Just dont use the cheap shit you get with a $15 oil special at your local auto parts store.

If i were you, and bought the Skunk2 EP, i would say use what filter they used... or at least ask if there was a reason WHY they used it. Maybe they chose it for a logical build reason other than they get a break on buying them in bulk. You wont know unless you contact them.

As far as the header goes... is it broken? Leaking? Why the need to replace it?

ImportCustomx
08-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Ive spoke with them on oil filter choice, build specs etc, i just forgot to ask which filter... thanks for that. i just wanted to verify.

As far the header, its a custom one off that they made in 04.

The recent accident (i got rearended) i am hoping it did not bend the header or anything of the sort. if it did, insurance is covering it, then i would need to get the new header, cat/test pipe and exhuast. i was thinking of rsx race header/test/type r exhuast from skunk2. either way.i was thinking of rsx race header/test/type r exhaust from skunk2. either way.the exhaust is out of round anyway on the exhaust tip, so fitting a silencer in is difficult without using some heat and a rubber mallet. Plus i want something thats shiny and nice under there...preferably something skunk2 but i might have to wait due to backorders.

So does anyone with a similiar setup have a header, if so which one.

when i get the car back ill show you pictures of why. Im no stranger to builds, ive done 3 crx's, 2 hatchs, a prelude, my old ep3..plus other friends cars etc.
i just want to make sure my dusty k knowledge is still okay. dam d series and random b and h knowledge took over after 07 when i got rid of my original ep

Heitzke
08-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm using a JRRH on my K24, and I also did a K24A2 swap a few weeks back in another EP and we ended up using the factory manifold/cat. Clearance was so tight on mine, the exhaust was tucked up into the bottom of the car and would beat on the underside.

I'd be very surprised if your header was damaged at all from the accident. If you already have plenty of clearance between the header and the bottom of your car & sway, I'd just leave it. I really don't think you'll find that type of clearance with an off-the-shelf header.

ImportCustomx
08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
clearence is tight on mine also.

ill show pics. mine does sometime vibrate against car

jblanco325
08-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm using a JRRH on my K24, and I also did a K24A2 swap a few weeks back in another EP and we ended up using the factory manifold/cat. Clearance was so tight on mine, the exhaust was tucked up into the bottom of the car and would beat on the underside.

I'd be very surprised if your header was damaged at all from the accident. If you already have plenty of clearance between the header and the bottom of your car & sway, I'd just leave it. I really don't think you'll find that type of clearance with an off-the-shelf header.

what sway bar do you use with ur JRRH/k24 setup? i just did a k24a2 swap into my ep with a JRRH and we ended up just removing the frond sway all together because of the clearance issues and that shit still hits, especially during idle and hard pulls :P

but ImportCustomx there are 4 headers that are suppose to clear without modification of sway or exhaust system. dcrh, is one of then, maybe someone knows the other 3?

also side note someone on (k20a or here?) used a crv sway bar that runs underneath the header instead of over it; idk maybe an different opion for you?

Heitzke
08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Ha, I wish I had a front sway. I had to remove mine as well. Apparently the progress front sway has a very large loop in it, and should clear, but I can't verify that. I have also heard that the EM2 sway will work too. Nothing but second-hand knowledge though, I would like to get a front sway back on there...

Ba82Ep3
08-18-2010, 05:34 PM
I couldnt get a swaybar to work with the JRRH/k24 swap. I tried the EM bar too... there was just NO room (not to mention the EM bar interfered with the shift cables/bracket in its stock location). That JRRH was right on the exhaust tunnel, and it actually held my DCSC exhaust up so high that the midpipe resonator sat on the chassis under tension.

The only off the shelf RH i got to fit the stock EP front swaybar with a k24 swap was the DCRH for the RSX-S. I STILL had to remove the catalytic converter chassis heat shielding to make room for everything though... and if i hit the gas too hard in reverse the header hit the sway. Under regular and spirited driving though, it never hit.

The Skunk2 RH looks like its designed with long enough and properly angled runners to clear any swaybar on a k24 swap. Is the Skunk header you have now a preproduction prototype of that header?

ep-unit
08-19-2010, 04:27 AM
what year sway we need

ImportCustomx
08-19-2010, 05:35 AM
I couldnt get a swaybar to work with the JRRH/k24 swap. I tried the EM bar too... there was just NO room (not to mention the EM bar interfered with the shift cables/bracket in its stock location). That JRRH was right on the exhaust tunnel, and it actually held my DCSC exhaust up so high that the midpipe resonator sat on the chassis under tension.

The only off the shelf RH i got to fit the stock EP front swaybar with a k24 swap was the DCRH for the RSX-S. I STILL had to remove the catalytic converter chassis heat shielding to make room for everything though... and if i hit the gas too hard in reverse the header hit the sway. Under regular and spirited driving though, it never hit.

The Skunk2 RH looks like its designed with long enough and properly angled runners to clear any swaybar on a k24 swap. Is the Skunk header you have now a preproduction prototype of that header?

the header i have was constructed way before they released their header..it was used for prototypes, and just to get this ep on the track etc. so the fitment is good. i want a new skunk2 header but they are on back order from skunk. so i can wait, but in my case..insurance may not want to.