PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket steering wheel

MyBoa>YourDog
08-18-2010, 01:05 PM
How many people have aftermarket steering wheels with quick release hubs?

I was thinking about getting one but I wanted to ask people who have them if they're worth it. And is it a pain to install?

I'm not that afraid of my ep getting stolen to the point where I'm going to go and get a new alarm system but I wouldn't mind the extra security of having a removable steering wheel. Plus it looks pretty fresh :)

I tried searching for a diy on the install but didn't find anything.

Andieldiablo
12-25-2010, 01:41 PM
bump i jsut got a quick realease and steering wheeling, but im looking for a do it your self. i have a nrg steering wheel and quick release, but am i missing anything? i read something about a hub

RedSiBaron
12-25-2010, 02:18 PM
the quick release should attach to the steering wheel...

this shouldnt be a hard DIY, on the old hondas you just undid a lock nut and pulled the wheel off the steering column...ive been told that with the new hondas, you will need a steering wheel puller that you can rent from any autoparts store. make sure you are careful around the airbag, they can be rather dangerous

Andieldiablo
12-25-2010, 03:00 PM

this shouldnt be a hard DIY, on the old hondas you just undid a lock nut and pulled the wheel off the steering column...ive been told that with the new hondas, you will need a steering wheel puller that you can rent from any autoparts store. make sure you are careful around the airbag, they can be rather dangerous

dont mean to sound like im beating a dead horse with a stick but i jsut wanna make sure, on some of the images ive seen, theres a aftermarket hub, a quick realse and then the steering wheel....but i have a quick realse hub gen 2.0. do i still need a diffrent hub, or will it bolt right on to the car/stock hub? thank you

HondaFreak
12-25-2010, 11:11 PM
dont mean to sound like im beating a dead horse with a stick but i jsut wanna make sure, on some of the images ive seen, theres a aftermarket hub, a quick realse and then the steering wheel....but i have a quick realse hub gen 2.0. do i still need a diffrent hub, or will it bolt right on to the car/stock hub? thank you

If that hub is designed to have a steering wheel bolted directly to it then that's all you need. It's simply a male steering column, and the hub is the female to the steering column. It slides on, uses the OEM bolt to secure it to the column. Then either a quick release or your steering wheel goes on the hub. That's it besides the horn. If this is what you bought it should work as long as the bolt pattern matches on both pieces (6 bolt pattern on the hub and wheel). http://www.getnrg.com/products/quick-release-kits/quick-release-kit-gen-2.0/feed

Christian

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 09:27 AM
I have one and love the thing.... plus I got the hub lock also!!!

RHCP0801
12-27-2010, 09:31 AM

you dont need a steering wheel puller to get any honda steering wheel off, take the airbag out and undo the nut and just take it off, you might need to wiggle it a little bit

HondaFreak
12-27-2010, 10:53 AM
you dont need a steering wheel puller to get any honda steering wheel off, take the airbag out and undo the nut and just take it off, you might need to wiggle it a little bit

Yea, not true. Mine would NOT come off. Rob(27rocks) even tried when he was at my house. Steering wheel puller was needed. They are like $17 at Kragen.

Christian

RHCP0801
12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
i havent ran into one steering wheel that needed a puller, just need some muscle and wiggle and i have taken off a shitload of steering wheels

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 10:59 AM
i havent ran into one steering wheel that needed a puller, just need some muscle and wiggle and i have taken off a shitload of steering wheels

Same here no puller was needed!!!

zdiddy22
12-27-2010, 11:21 AM
im still waiting on my quick release to come in. the wheel came in two days after i bought it. but the hub and quick release have been slow to get here.

Andieldiablo
12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
i just picked up a shorty hub for $86. next question how do you disarm the air bag when taking of the steering wheel? im fine with the install after the airbag is out, it seems pretty simple just trying to figure out how to get there without ripping my head off cuz everyone ive asked is freeking me out about the air bag part

Andieldiablo
12-29-2010, 11:22 PM
found this DIY
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?43643-DIY-Stock-Steering-Wheel-Removal

emsep
12-30-2010, 02:34 AM
disconnect the battery

zdiddy22
12-30-2010, 09:21 AM
disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes to ensure there is no power. then you just remove and nothing will happen.

Andieldiablo
12-30-2010, 08:46 PM
thanx everyone, got it installed and no accidental discharges :)

PatrickJamesYu
12-31-2010, 01:31 AM
anyone who has it
which nrg short hub did you use?
which model?

http://www.getnrg.com/products/quick-release-kits/short-hub/feed

Google didn't give me anything

HondaFreak
12-31-2010, 05:41 PM
This is what's on my ep3. It should say 96+ Civic. But no, let's be vague....Ek9 Civic
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/HondaFreak_01/User%20Galleries/7765211b.jpg

Christian

PatrickJamesYu
01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I can't really seem to finish my install..
So after the steering wheel comes off
their is a stock srs hub that needs to be removed right?

I remove it but their are 2 wire pins connected to it
the one on the left has a tab, which I removed easy
but the one on the right doesn't have a tab..
And I've tried everything
It looks like it can come out
but I have a feeling it's all one piece and not removable
anyone know what I mean?

My friend said that the srs hub is not supposed to be removed for this install
but the center bolt/ nut that holds the nut out, there's no where near enough threads to attach the nrg hub to the stock hub.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ic1i4k.jpg

HondaFreak
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure if your referring to the plug? Here's a pic of mine off the car.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/HondaFreak_01/User%20Galleries/1b7f9fc1.jpg

Christian

PatrickJamesYu
01-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I got it!
Thanks!

So question on a re install
In the future
If I want to install the stock hub
How do I ensure the front part is spun to the center?
There appears to be wires in it, and If I don't set it back to where it was
It will over spin and potentially pull on the wiring on the inside
and/or limit my already under-steered steering

Any input?

04EP3CTR
02-05-2011, 08:52 PM
how did u remove the srs hub im stuck here :/

88crx
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I never removed the srs unit with mine.... or at least I'm pretty sure I didn't.

04EP3CTR
02-05-2011, 09:27 PM
I can't really seem to finish my install..
So after the steering wheel comes off
their is a stock srs hub that needs to be removed right?

I remove it but their are 2 wire pins connected to it
the one on the left has a tab, which I removed easy
but the one on the right doesn't have a tab..
And I've tried everything
It looks like it can come out
but I have a feeling it's all one piece and not removable
anyone know what I mean?

My friend said that the srs hub is not supposed to be removed for this install
but the center bolt/ nut that holds the nut out, there's no where near enough threads to attach the nrg hub to the stock hub.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ic1i4k.jpg

this is wat im talking about..

PatrickJamesYu
02-05-2011, 10:29 PM
how did u remove the srs hub im stuck here :/

Look at the picture HondaFreak posted
That's what helped me
See how those wires go back?
The one with the yellow plug that goes out of picture, and back in?
Well that shows that it doesn't unplug from the srs unit, it's attatched.
If I remember correctly, on the lower left side of the steering wheel rack area, thats where theres a yellow plug to unplug
This is where it disconnects.

PM me if you have any problems

usedep3
02-05-2011, 10:31 PM
depending on the hub, you will have to remove the srs clock spring reel. i know with the mugen hub, you can keep your srs reel and install the hub.

i need to find another srs reel, any of you willing to part with it?

PatrickJamesYu
02-05-2011, 10:38 PM
depending on the hub, you will have to remove the srs clock spring reel. i know with the mugen hub, you can keep your srs reel and install the hub.

i need to find another srs reel, any of you willing to part with it?

I'm going to an ep3 part out on monday
If it's still in there, I'll snag on it

usedep3
02-05-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm going to an ep3 part out on monday
If it's still in there, I'll snag on it

thank you kindly sir!

Andieldiablo
02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
thank you kindly sir!

ive got one if youre local

04EP3CTR
02-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Look at the picture HondaFreak posted
That's what helped me
See how those wires go back?
The one with the yellow plug that goes out of picture, and back in?
Well that shows that it doesn't unplug from the srs unit, it's attatched.
If I remember correctly, on the lower left side of the steering wheel rack area, thats where theres a yellow plug to unplug
This is where it disconnects.

PM me if you have any problems

thanks i figured it out!