PDA

View Full Version : 215's or 205's on stock

Mongoose
12-10-2002, 08:03 PM
I have decided to to stick with my stock Rims Since I will not be lowering my car.
I want to go with Yokohama AVS es100 either

205/60/15
or
215/60/15

I want to have a decent sidewall height because I think it will fill the big ass wheel wells better and Boston area roads suck.

I am looking for opinions and advice Based on Fittment handling?acceleration steering ect.

any opinoins or information you guys can share. Would be great

:angel: :p :angel:

civic hatch boi
12-10-2002, 08:23 PM
i say go 205's. 215's are too big.

chunky
12-10-2002, 08:27 PM
stick with the 205's.

205's are pretty wide on our stock 15x6" rims anyhow. usually you don't want to go much more than 130% of the actual rim width when it comes to tires. 195mm is already 130% of 6" and 205 is 135%.

!@#$%
12-10-2002, 08:40 PM
id say 205's, thats what ive got....but with 17X7's. i want 215's now.

for stockies id get 205's

civic hatch boi
12-10-2002, 08:40 PM
anyone else think our rims should've been 15x7 at least?

IceD out N CALI
12-10-2002, 09:00 PM
yeah stick with the 205s

JSIR
12-13-2002, 06:39 PM
they will be slightly taller than stock, larger sidewall. I will probably go with their 195/60 tires, they always have a larger contact patch than stock even with the same profile, I don't want to increase the overall height any more than it is.

If I was going with some other tires I would probably get 205-55/15, but I understand what you mean with respect to wheel well gap.

Arent' our rims 6.5 inches ?.

chunky
12-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
they will be slightly taller than stock, larger sidewall. I will probably go with their 195/60 tires, they always have a larger contact patch than stock even with the same profile, I don't want to increase the overall height any more than it is.

If I was going with some other tires I would probably get 205-55/15, but I understand what you mean with respect to wheel well gap.

Arent' our rims 6.5 inches ?.

nope, 15x6

Mongoose
12-14-2002, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all the info Guys,
Just to qualify A bit more. I use this car as my Daily driver, I will not be autocrossing( I don know what it is) or Going to the 1/4 Strip. I do however Drive in a spirited way. and like to push the car near to its limits on an almost daily Basis. I do a fair Amont of highway Driving as well as city driving and Rural Twisties.

So My Question Is on Yoko AVS es100
Choosing between 195/205 Tread wdth Am I going to gain/Or loose anything in the Handling, Staight Tracking, Or Ride confort Dept.

Or if I increase My side wall hieght by going 205/60/15 Am I going to gain/Or loose anything in the Handling, Staight Tracking, Or Ride confort Dept.

So Basicly I have Narrowed it down to

195/60/15
205/60/15

Thanks a Bunch
See you on the Road
:cool:

JSIR
12-14-2002, 09:29 PM
the yokes don't have the stiffest sidewalls, so I was leary ordering a tire with sidewall larger than our stock tires, I think the sidewall is overly tall as it is. I just ordered the yokes es100's today, can't wait to get them.

That is a good question you ask, I guess there will be tradeoffs in your setup, wider tire should have more ultimate grip, taller sidewall will have more squirm or roll-over feeling. With the yokes you won't give up much ride comfort or noise IMO, they seem like a perfectly designed tire for daily driving, even occassional track use. The 205-60 will likely be a bit heavier tire if that matters to anyone. Other than that they are pretty close tires. The 205-60 will give you slightly higher gearing, with the overall diameter increasing 14 mm, about 2%. That throughs the speedometer and odometer off by 2%, but it's not a big amount.

I've got the 195-60's coming to me, I am really counting on the contact patch being larger than our stock tires.

Wider tires always pull a bit more with roadway irregularities, left and right, but 205 size wouldn't be anything to worry about, not that big of a difference in that regard.

Mongoose
12-15-2002, 12:28 AM
[i]Originally posted by J

I've got the 195-60's coming to me, I am really counting on the contact patch being larger than our stock tires.

Wider tires always pull a bit more with roadway irregularities, left and right, but 205 size wouldn't be anything to worry about, not that big of a difference in that regard. [/B]

Jsir,
let me know how they are after you get them.

Thanks for he heads up

Mongoose

I'm A driver
I'M a Winner:angel: :p :angel:

JSIR
12-30-2002, 04:56 PM
I got my Yokohama AVS ES100's tires today, they look really good I like them a lot. Compared to our stock tires they are a big improvement. The sidewalls are a good deal stiffer than stock, and the contact patch is 1/2 inch to 1 inch wider than our stock tires. I can't believe how round are stock tires are, so little amount of tread actually contacts the ground. The yokes have a flatter contact surface. They have a nice tread pattern , with what seems like a nice grippy compound, I'm really impressed with these tires for their cost. I weighed the tires also and they are only about 1.5 lbs heavier than a set of Michelin XGT tires that I had on my older rims which were 40% worn. They should be very similar to stock tires weight wise. So not bad, that was a big concern of mine, sticking with a lightweight tire. Treadwear is 280, a good overall number IMO for daily driving.

BlasTech
12-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Please give updates as soon as you get to break em in and push em.

btw, did you get to weigh the stock wheels without a tire?

JSIR
12-30-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Please give updates as soon as you get to break em in and push em.

btw, did you get to weigh the stock wheels without a tire?

I haven't weighed our stock wheels or tires separately, this is what I have weighed so far:

I am mounting the new tires on a set of 99 SiR rims. I bought a set of 99 SiR rims with their stock Michelin XGT tires - 40% worn. That wheel/tire combo weighed 29 lbs on my scale. After I removed the tires from the wheels I weighed them separately, the rims were 14 lbs and the tires were 15 lbs. I then weighed our stock wheel/tire combo from my car and it weighed 31 lbs.

I have yet to weigh our stock tires or wheels separately, but I assume they are within a couple lbs of the 99 SiR parts - so maybe 15 lbs rims and 16 lbs tires. Just guessing. I know some other guys have reported our wheel/tire combo to weigh much more but I couldnt find all that weight they've reported. I have a brand new home scale, not sure how accurate it is , but I would think it should be fairly accurate within a couple of lbs.

yeah I will keep you posted once I get to run the tires in. Can't wait. The weather up here is really crappy though, may be a while before I can run them hard.

BlasTech
12-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Wow, thanks for the reply.

If you have dumbells or plates, you can super calibrate your scales. You can use your wieght with the wheel/tire over your head to ensure you're getting a balanced reading on a scale made for people...we subconciously balance our wieght when we lift stuff over our head.

Thanks again!

JSIR
12-30-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Wow, thanks for the reply.

If you have dumbells or plates, you can super calibrate your scales. You can use your wieght with the wheel/tire over your head to ensure you're getting a balanced reading on a scale made for people...we subconciously balance our wieght when we lift stuff over our head.

Thanks again!

that's a damn good idea , thanks. I've been conerned about my readings as other people have weighed the 02 wheels/tires at 38 lbs, with the rims supposed to be 19 lbs. I was a bit bummed out because I bought the 99 SiR rims (knowing they were 15 lb rims max.) hoping to save a few lbs over our stock rims, but from what I can tell they don't differ that much. So I may try some of your tricks to make sure I am getting an accurate reading. thanks.:)

simann
12-31-2002, 08:36 PM
I bought my car (Dealer Option) with 17'' MOTEGI MR8s .the salesman, ( a police high speed driving instructor) was not atall pleased with the stock wheel/tire set up. So he got permission from the owner to try diff. wheel/tire combos. HE WENT THRUOGH
10 Different set ups! The best was the 17" wheels wrapped in SUPER GRIPPY Dunlop SP Sport W10s ! (215 -40-ZR17)

THEY HANDLE AWSOME on BACKROADS!!!!!!!!!! WEEEEEE!!!

215s are farely wide too, but my brothers SE-R Spec V has 215-40ZR17s stock!

simann
12-31-2002, 08:45 PM
http://www.dwhondavolvo.com/en_US/

This is the dealer where I bought my awsome EP!

Also Darrel is a pretty cool guy , I met him in the franklin,Tn bicycle shop i work at! Hes was quite surprised when I tild him I bought a car from his dealership!

THEY ARE THE KINDEST, MOST KNOWLEDGABLE ,and EASY TO WORK WITH,and CLEEAAAN Honda dealer I have ever been to PERIOD!