PDA

View Full Version : Security for the EP's

Jiggaboojeff
08-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Hey guys I bought my EP not that long ago and everything is bone stock for now, and I was just wondering what kind of security does a factory alarm provide because when I arm the car I could still get in to the car with my keys and start the car with out the alarm going off "Or is it even an alarm I kicked my tires multiple times and it still won't go off". And it the car locks automatically when I stand next to the car but it won't lock automatically when I walk away. My fear is someone stealing the car off. One more questions could the EP3 be keyed open? Even if its a laser cut key?

Thanks alot guys.

PatrickJamesYu
08-19-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm no expert, but quite oftenly we have customers lock their keys in their cars in our parking lot.
Being a Pawn Shop we have a car lock picking kit designed for Auto Companys and auto repo guys.
I use it ALL they timeee for the customers that lock their keys.
I've gotten into some fancy Lexus's with those fancy "reverse" lazer cut kinda thing going.
So the locks on the ep3 door aren't anything fancy and unpenetrable
I dealy the lock picking kit we have doesn't go into the key hole at all
If you ever see AAA come and break into a car, its the same way.
Usually its just pry the door open and unlock it

About the alarm
I have an aftermarket.
I don't think it locks its self..
but If I arm it, and use the key to unlock it, the alarm goes off, and I can't start the car unless I disarm the alarm.
If I am inside of my car, and then I arm it, and I try to start the car, my alarm goes off, and the car won't start untill the alarm is disengaged
If I arm my alarm, and kick my tires, it doesn't go off (for what I remember)
In the morning I'll give my tires a good kick and see what happens

I assume Honda's alarm system SHOULD act the same way.
But this is only my guess

makavelibranded
08-19-2010, 01:44 AM
there is no stock alarm you have to buy one

ep3colin
08-19-2010, 01:45 AM
i have one also, i believe it is just a unlock and lock fob

i only use it because it prevents me from locking my keys in my car since i lock it with the fob when im outside of my car

so from what i understand,no, it is not an alarm

Kerby
08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
my form of anti theft:

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/5960102735/7339515/cca75a3119d612bdc43f78af9544d603.jpg

superchargedk20
08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Wheel boot, kill switches, and the Viper Club are what guards my ep

jed_averill
08-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I have the Viper 350 ($199 installation included) installed a week ago after I bought my car. This one is the most basic alarm with security. The one cheaper [$139 I believe] than this only locks and unlocks the car but it doesn't have security. Maybe that's the one you have.

there is no stock alarm you have to buy one

+1

username011
08-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Security? You bought an EP and NOT an EK..thats plenty enough security right there. LoL

Probably 80% of Honda people I run into dont even think I drive an SI and think its an ex or something and that is if they take the time to actually notice my EP.

jed_averill
08-21-2010, 10:29 AM
It's pretty easy to differentiate EK from EP man.

Also, EP is in the top cars stolen here in US.

superchargedk20
08-21-2010, 04:37 PM

its def not. Hondas arent even on the top 10 anymore. Cadillac escalade is now the most stolen car in the states for 2010.

Draw7Seven
08-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Misinformed. Reference this or get eaten for saying it.

its def not. Hondas arent even on the top 10 anymore. Cadillac escalade is now the most stolen car in the states for 2010.

Informed. The immobilizer on the EP3, combined with a few other newer technologies, brought a massive decrease to the number of Hondas stolen per year in the US. It's just not worth the time or effort anymore unless the thing is completely tricked out. If you look at the "most often stolen cars" and see "Honda Civic," you need to recognize that EP3's and FA5's aren't exactly what that list is talking about.

superchargedk20
08-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Misinformed. Reference this or get eaten for saying it.

Informed. The immobilizer on the EP3, combined with a few other newer technologies, brought a massive decrease to the number of Hondas stolen per year in the US. It's just not worth the time or effort anymore unless the thing is completely tricked out. If you look at the "most often stolen cars" and see "Honda Civic," you need to recognize that EP3's and FA5's aren't exactly what that list is talking about.

exactly. That list is talkin about mid to late 90's civic. And i beleive the toyota Camry and honda accord are stolen more than a Civic