PDA

View Full Version : Brake Recommendations?

4lugSLUG
08-19-2010, 05:03 AM
Need pads and rotors. Don't do any autox or anything, just a dd. Any suggestions on good pads and rotors?

BeaterEP
08-19-2010, 06:35 AM
First, go check out the Suspension | Wheels | Tires Forum (LINK) (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Suspension-Wheels-Tires). :mbiggrin:
Dig around in there for a while and you should find all sorts of brake info.
I'm just DD as well, but I've found I really like the Hawk HPS pads for all the high-speed braking I have to do on the highways around here. Those and some blank rotors form Autozone/Advance/NAPA/whatever should be fine. Upgrading to stainless steel braided brake hoses will help with the pedal feel, as well. They're worth the little bit they cost, IMHO.

ep3egg
08-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Hawk HPS pads are good, you won't b disappointed with em'

rjmq06
08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
if your a DD just get a brembo blanks with hawks hps they will never fail you
and by the way the hawks hps makes dust alot but they bite really good

BeaterEP
08-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, forgot to mention the dusting. The Hawks dust like a mofo, but they are nice and grabby. :thumbu:
Just rinse your wheels off pretty frequently between washes, shouldn't be a problem.

Tougeep3
08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
hawk HPS pads and napa (or similar) replacement rotors.. SS lines are optional.

ImportCustomx
08-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Yeah, forgot to mention the dusting. The Hawks dust like a mofo, but they are nice and grabby. :thumbu:
Just rinse your wheels off pretty frequently between washes, shouldn't be a problem.

i just take a microfiber cloth to them dry. brake dust when its wet adhears to the rim...if you wipe your wheels off dry then rinse em it comes out better. also i use Honda Polish on my wheels...antistatic etc. i use honda polish on my bike and it works like a charm. use it to clean/polish everything. works nice.

but for DD brakes

i say brembo blanks with some of the ebc pads.

stay away from the autozone rotors and pads...i warped disc's like a champ on my crx.

i did however have good luck with napa and their "hi-end" pad they are selling. pads grabbed pretty well and get all sloppy and bitey (under 60%braking start biting and not biting..hotspots etc) when warm. good bank for the buck pad.

Do any of the ephatch vendors sell rotor and pad combo's? id take a look at them..they will give you a sweet deal!

02TWSI
08-24-2010, 05:39 AM
My hawk hps pads and powerslots haven't done me dirty, I'm back to oem pads and wow they are crappy....alllll mushy feeling and no "bite"

neoamd
08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
If your just doing to DD the car buy some centric rotors (30per on tirerack) and also get some Hawk HPS/EBC Green pads and you will be happy. No need for drilled/slotted rotors...

I have the centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads up front and axxis ultimates on the rear and it stops pretty good. Way better then OEM pads..

I'm going to be getting some DBA 4000 series Rotors for up front with some Hawk HP+s and keep the centrics in the rear with the HP+s for track days.

karxarias
08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Check out this thread, it's got all if not 99% of what you need to know:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?57507-Upgrading-replacing-stock-brakes.-Suggestions

karxarias
08-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Double post

EP3driver
08-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Stay away from autozone and advanced auto rotors!! I had to return a set, got a replacement free and 6 months later they are out of round already and I have just a DD...