PDA

View Full Version : smog test coming next month

rjmq06
08-19-2010, 02:05 PM
hey guys i have smog test coming on next month but i have 1 problem my CEL went on several days ago and i got a P0420 and i found out its my cat and then i just reset my ecu
my question is am i still gonna pass the smog if i just reset my ecu?
or do i have to fix it?

T_Virus
08-20-2010, 12:19 PM
if you reset it and it didn't come back, I would still check to see if that code is still pending. Otherwise, if it still doesn't show up and not in pending mode then go ahead and get it smog, because you might pass.

But if you fail, then just get it replaced.

powdbyrice
08-20-2010, 04:27 PM
I passed with a failing/dead cat.

Earlier this year, I had friend clear the code, drove around for 50miles, had it tested and it passed. The cel came back on like 10miles away from the test station.

I read somewhere that u have to drive at least 50 miles for the reset to take.

The cel originally came on 65k miles ago (like 3 yrs ago).

jgn6848
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
i'd put a spacer on the secondary o2 sensor to push it out then rest the ecu.... that way the o2 sensor is not in the path of exiting exhaust fumes

rjmq06
08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
im glad that i passed the smog today
well the story is about a week ago my CEL went on and i took it to my mechanic to check and he reset the cel using the thing to check the codes (idk what it is called) and i notice that everytime i put my key on ignition (not starting the car) just to power up the radio and windows my CEL just stayed on and then blink for several times i forgot to count it and i do it everyday just to make sure if its normal , and then i just drive it regularly like nothings wrong and after a week i did the ignition to see if it still has problems i notice it stays on for a few sec then turned off and it didnt blink at all

and its really weird my cat or 02 sensor suppose to be bad or i guess its just acting up and it went on so many times and always getting the same codes

but since i passed it im happy