PDA

View Full Version : Ordered some stereo gear

JLannoo
12-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Well I just ordered up this stuff from Crutchfield

Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 CD/MP3 Receiver

KTC-SR901 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner

Kenwood CX-SR10 Sirius Satellite Antenna

I had a pioneer 7400 in my del Sol. When I got my EP I sold it to my brother and now I'm starting to miss the ability to play MP3's.

Soooo after extensive research LOL I came to the conclusion that Kenwood does MP3's best right now IMHO. Almost zero wait between MP3's and the ability to browse a list of folders (not songs though) while still playing a mp3. I also wanted good visibilty during the day so I chose a model with a more simple display.

Also I had been real curious about Satellite Radio. Crutchfield had the Kenwood Sirius reciever for $84.99 and included the antenna free. Plus since I was buying a head unit they took another $20 off making adding the satellite setup only $64.99.

I know the head unit I got is selling for around $220 elsewhere and I paid $319 but the free Sat antenna, free dash kit (its black),free wiring harness and $20 off plus free shipping still makes it a good deal in my eyes. Plus I get to order from Crutchfield who have always given me great service over the years.

So what do you guys think? and does anyone have any ideas for mounting the sat antenna? I really dont want it on the roof but I might need to.

P.S. Yes I know I'm bad at paragraphs and such. :P

IceD out N CALI
12-11-2002, 11:54 AM
be sure to post pics of it installed:)

Jpax
12-11-2002, 02:46 PM
should sound good. :D

greenguy
12-13-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by JLannoo
does anyone have any ideas for mounting the sat antenna? I really dont want it on the roof but I might need to.
:P
I was wondering the same and I am trying to picture different antena's mounted on our hood. Now I am thinking either between the washer nozzels or off set by the passenger.
Or possibley mounted on our hatch. It would still have sky access.
I do wish a replacement FM/AM combo satalite antena would come out to just replace ours!
good luck and keep us informed.

Jpax
12-13-2002, 09:55 AM
just picture our cars with anthor atenna in front of our antenna. the pinniner one looke like ours.

Surprise
12-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by greenguy

I was wondering the same and I am trying to picture different antena's mounted on our hood. Now I am thinking either between the washer nozzels or off set by the passenger.
Or possibley mounted on our hatch. It would still have sky access.
I do wish a replacement FM/AM combo satalite antena would come out to just replace ours!
good luck and keep us informed.

I don't think you the size of XM/Sirus antennas. They are lager than the base of ours. If it was placed on the hood it would look like a giant zit. I had mine mounted just behind the base to ours. It didin't look bad from the front or back and was a little noticable from the side, but not bad. Whatever you do don't buy the throught the glass mount, the antenna is HUGE and UGLY.

JLannoo
12-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Well I dont go out of town much. So I'm hoping they have adequate repeaters so I can just put it inside on the rear deck.

Anyone know how good the repeater coverage is in the Metro Detroit area for Sirius?,Mt. Clemens to be exact.

nbj1485
12-15-2002, 03:32 AM
sounds like u got a pretty good deal

JLannoo
12-19-2002, 01:52 AM
Well I got the stereo installed and have the cables for the Sat-Radio bunched up behind the console for whenever I get around to hooking it up.

I found taking the dash apart the first time to be a headache. It took forever to take apart,I was sure I was going to break something. Afterwards it went back together really quick.

Crutchfield sent out the Black Metra kit. I think the Black looks pretty sharp,It did however have a few fitment issues as far as gaps go. I ended up making some cardboard shims to tighten them up (you cant see them) The Kit comes with alot of different mounting options. I chose the single ISO mount as it seemed to let the head unit sit more flush in the dash. The right side pokes out more then the left though because of the curve of the dash.

The head unit is Fantastic. Zero perceptible gaps between MP3's I think the only way you might notice a pause would maybe be on a album like say.... Pink Floyd where you know the tracks all run together. Its really that fast,YEA!!!

Also the folder (not file) browsing works great and also is super quick. You just hit the "5" button and you can scroll left and right the list of folder names on the disc. If a folder has sub folders up and down will scroll thru those. You can do all this while the current music still plays! and its instant quick:) When you find the folder you want just hit play and bam your playing it instantly....very cool

I cant stress enough how fast the MP3 features are on Kenwoods. Very cool :D