PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber Intake Manifold for Si?

LordKoo
12-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Seen like everyone knows that SI's intake gets warm easily without aftermarket thicker gasket. But has anybody realize it is made of aluminum? Why not some aftermarket fabricate a full carbon fiber intake manifold for the K20? This will reduce the heat transfer anyway and will lighten the front end of the car too.

New Volkswagen R32 uses plastic intake manifold, so does some other Japanese cars. Why not we advance to carbon fiber? :D

!@#$%
12-10-2002, 08:42 PM
i wish

myeverlovinsir
12-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Good suggestion, wonder if anyone in the aftermarket has contemplated this?;)

ssvr6
12-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Yeah, and what would it cost?

$$

Steve

IceD out N CALI
12-10-2002, 08:50 PM
would it be expensive?

ssvr6
12-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
would it be expensive?

Well if a slightly contoured hood costs $450 than what would a detailed and intricate manifold cost? My guess is $750+

Steve

myeverlovinsir
12-10-2002, 09:32 PM
I wonder if there is a more interesting reason why honda went
with this on the Si(R), Type-R, Type-S. I mean the overall cost in manufacturing it
out of aluminum cast vs. injection mold is way more. Just does
not make economic or perfomance sense. hmmm

ortedd
12-11-2002, 05:24 AM
You can't use nitrous with a plastic intake, or it is not recomended? I think, that might have a little to do with it. Honda must recognize that a fair amount of thier cars see this type of usage. And while aluminum is more expensive, making an injection mold that could make the shape of our intake is impossible.

ssvr6
12-11-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by ortedd
You can't use nitrous with a plastic intake, or it is not recomended? I think, that might have a little to do with it. Honda must recognize that a fair amount of thier cars see this type of usage. And while aluminum is more expensive, making an injection mold that could make the shape of our intake is impossible.

I highly doubt they designed our manifolds with nitrous in mind.

Steve

02blksi
12-11-2002, 07:10 AM
ITs SOOOOOOO very funny that you mention this. I was reading at my local Barnes and Noble a magazine called (BANZAI), I picked it up and started thumbing through it, to my surprise they had the BTC UK civic type r in there (you know the ones you see in all the BTC pictures redhonda black hood etc... Well they went into great detail whats done to the engine and the chasis etc. Come to find out they are using a carbon fiber or magnesium intake manifold, its really trick! There civic nets about 300bhp !!!! compression is like 13.5:1 6 speed sequential gearbox motec system etc. So yes someone already had designed a manifold, but i dont think anyone here has the coin to buy it... its prolly more than my si cost me :( --Joe.

Now if someone wanted to make an aftermarket system like venom or skunk2 for our cars, id be very intrested.

myeverlovinsir
12-11-2002, 07:11 AM

NOT IMPOSSIBLE and far from it!! I have worked in injection molding for many years, and this is how they are done. Any shape is possible in injection molds.
One thing is that they cannot be extruded. The injection does not form the entire piece it must be done in sections then mated together.

ortedd
12-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Yeah I was thinking as a one piece design, it would be impossible. Later in the day I thought about multiple piece intakes.

myeverlovinsir
12-11-2002, 04:12 PM
Yeah I was thinking as a one piece design, it would be impossible. Later in the day I thought about multiple piece intakes.

Never say "impossible" my friend, I have seen very detailed molds done that
span large areas and are quite detailed. Equipment costs, part volume, ROI (return on investment) and adaptability are the real only reasons that a mold is not one piece.

Here is a link to some of the molds we do for the automotive
industry in our platics division. Automation Tooling systems (http://www.atsautomation.com/precision/pre_aut-precisioncomp.asp)

ortedd
12-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Of course nothing is impossible. I should have said economically feasible. . . .I was trying to find the picture some one took of inside, curved runners that protrude into the plenum and the fact that the plenum is larger inside then the hole for the throttle body. The outside would be pretty easy, it is just that interior and the fact that the core (would be the term for metal casting) would have to fit through a hole smaller then it that complicates things. It looks like Honda used a 2-3 injection mold(ed) foam blanks. The runners and back of the plenum being one, the other being the front of the plenum and the part where the tb mounts. (i am guessing here, but it sure looks like a lost foam process.)

Myeverlovinsir you a mech eng? I used to work for an electronics place and was starting to play around with using solid works for mold design and stuff, but i left there when i graduated to go to work here.

edited: mold(ed)

ortedd
12-11-2002, 05:27 PM
checked out the site, looks like a good place to work. . . interesting stuff going on.

myeverlovinsir
12-11-2002, 05:36 PM
Of course nothing is impossible. I should have said economically feasible. . . .I was trying to find the picture some one took of inside, curved runners that protrude into the plenum and the fact that the plenum is larger inside then the hole for the throttle body. The outside would be pretty easy, it is just that interior and the fact that the core (would be the term for metal casting) would have to fit through a hole smaller then it that complicates things. It looks like Honda used a 2-3 injection mold(ed) foam blanks. The runners and back of the plenum being one, the other being the front of the plenum and the part where the tb mounts. (i am guessing here, but it sure looks like a lost foam process.)

Myeverlovinsir you a mech eng? I used to work for an electronics place and was starting to play around with using solid works for mold design and stuff, but i left there when i graduated to go to work here.

edited: mold(ed)

Yeah, I was the one who took that pic. I took it when I did my
hondata heatshield install.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/p8696143c4cf7239e44e99ac31ad54580/fd1764f3.jpg

I am a mech. eng. yes.(stonecutter at heart) But specialize in robotics and automation. tks.

ortedd
12-11-2002, 05:50 PM
cool, by stonecutter do you mean artist? I am a ME as well, i kind of got started as a machinist/welder, man i miss working with my hands. I can't wait to buy a house, then it is a welder and some surplus machinery and scrap metal for me. I will live in my garage. . . .

myeverlovinsir
12-11-2002, 06:00 PM
The Stonecutter's ring also refered to the Iron Ring (jewlery) is worn by a graduate of mech. eng. and is part of "The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer." on their left pinky finger (optional). You would know this if you were a graduate of mech. eng. in Canada.

The iron ring is a Canadian engineering tradition that reminds wearers of their obligation as an engineer. This obligation is taken at the ceremony known as The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer. The obligation and the Ritual were developed by Rudyard Kipling to direct the "newly qualified engineer toward a consciousness of the profession and its social significance and indicating to the more experienced engineer their responsibilities in welcoming and supporting the newer engineers when they are ready to enter the profession."

http://www.ironring.ca/ring.gif

Way off topic, but thought you might like to know.

ortedd
12-11-2002, 08:46 PM
That's cool. . . traditions and all. A few kids where i work went to school in the midwest of the united states, and they got these kind of dull-titanium-silver colored rings and started talking about how it was something to do with being an engineer. My school had a junior project that was supposed to tie into the implications of scinece an technology on society. Well that was the intent. Nice idea although a lot of the projects turned out to be kind of bs.

I wonder how many other MEs frequent ephatch.com?

!@#$%
12-11-2002, 10:40 PM
sweet, im probably going to study to be a ME. Im taking my first ME class this next semester. I hope i like it. If all goes well, I will probably delve further once i trasfer. :)

ortedd
12-12-2002, 05:06 AM
i MAY be a little biased, but i think it is one of the best majors. Good luck with it !@#$%.

ep_k20a3
12-13-2002, 06:06 AM
Sounds like a good idea but doesnt the way the intake manifold is designed and engeinered help to dispurse heat from the block and head?

ssvr6
12-13-2002, 06:21 AM
I prefer "the one ring, to rule them all".

;)

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngbeyond/rings/images/ring_image.jpg

(Damn I'm a geek. I can't wait until this opens next week!)

Steve

Jpax
12-13-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
I prefer "the one ring, to rule them all".

;)

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngbeyond/rings/images/ring_image.jpg

(Damn I'm a geek. I can't wait until this opens next week!)

Steve

GEEK

:D

ortedd
12-13-2002, 03:39 PM
That new lord of the rings movie looks good. The other day I found myself thinking that the new star trek movie looks pretty good, then I thought to myself once again GOD DAMN I AM A GEEK.

AJWUZHERE
12-13-2002, 09:14 PM
um back to the Carbon FIber intake manifold. there are CB intake manis for the b18c at it's $700. but it's only 4lbs.

ssvr6
12-13-2002, 11:45 PM
That's my point. At $700, what's the real gain here? A loss of maybe 6 or 7lbs? I'm not dropping $100 per pound for weight loss and heat dissipation. I'll just work out and drop some weight off of my fat ass and use a hondata heat shield.

;)

Steve