PDA

View Full Version : Car overheating HELP!!

clujalolo
08-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Ok so last week while coming home, i noticed there was smoke coming out of the hood (wasnt going that fast) so i pulled over and then noticed my water temp gauge was going up dramatically. so i turned everything off and i got it towed home. Today i had a gauge to look at it. i assumed it was the thermostat, on my other civic same thing happened. So, I took off the thermostat and went to test it out in some hot water...and to my surprise the thermostat opens up letting water through once the water gets to about 90C. now im stumped! i was thinking maybe its the water pump...but i got no leaks from the water pump. i gotta go try some more tests. my fans turn on when the AC is on but not sure once the car heats up with the AC off.

what else could it be? what should i look for? (my fuses are all ok.)

Ep3 ked
08-21-2010, 12:43 PM
check ur rad. for ne pinhole leaks. I had one on my stock rad. and took me 4 ever to find. Have you noticed coolant leaking from ne where? all els fails do a pressure test on the coolant system.

clujalolo
08-21-2010, 12:46 PM
check ur rad. for ne pinhole leaks. I had one on my stock rad. and took me 4 ever to find. Have you noticed coolant leaking from ne where? all els fails do a pressure test on the coolant system.

I havent seen any leaks. its a brand new radiator. ive had it on since christmas

jh604
08-21-2010, 01:42 PM
wow...your still alive and with the ep? haha jkingg...umm i say throw a dye in and wait and see

clujalolo
08-21-2010, 02:33 PM
wow...your still alive and with the ep? haha jkingg...umm i say throw a dye in and wait and see

haha yeah im still alive. just havent had any time to even touch the computer lol. i think i figured out the problem tho. cus i re-filled my radiator and got out all the air bubbles. And i drove around for like 30 mins and still no problems. but i did notice ONE thing tho. when my car idles for awhile my fans never turn on! only if i turn on the AC.

i checking the 20a fuse but it seems to be ok. is there another fuse?

Ep3 ked
08-21-2010, 02:36 PM
check the rad. fan relay .

jh604
08-22-2010, 03:19 AM
haha yeah im still alive. just havent had any time to even touch the computer lol. i think i figured out the problem tho. cus i re-filled my radiator and got out all the air bubbles. And i drove around for like 30 mins and still no problems. but i did notice ONE thing tho. when my car idles for awhile my fans never turn on! only if i turn on the AC.

i checking the 20a fuse but it seems to be ok. is there another fuse?

Well it'll only turn on once it reaches a certain temp. When you drive it, it has enough air flow going through the rad, so you dont need the fan. instead idle and hold your revs at 3k for a few minutes and see if it turns on.

sLiCk
08-22-2010, 05:02 AM
If there was smoking come out of your hood, chances are coolant is leaking somewhere. I would definately give it a good pressure test. Most if not all cars will peg the temp gauge(even though stock temp gauges aren't that accurate) before they even begin to smoke. Since you had to top up your coolant and bleed off the air bubbles that makes it even more likely that it's coming out somewhere. Coolant should not be consumed at all in a mechanically working system.

clujalolo
08-26-2010, 07:07 PM
If there was smoking come out of your hood, chances are coolant is leaking somewhere. I would definately give it a good pressure test. Most if not all cars will peg the temp gauge(even though stock temp gauges aren't that accurate) before they even begin to smoke. Since you had to top up your coolant and bleed off the air bubbles that makes it even more likely that it's coming out somewhere. Coolant should not be consumed at all in a mechanically working system.

yep found a leak...its tiny but MAN does it pour out of there. lol i fixed the hole all is good now. BUT my fans still dont turn on....even holding the revs at 3k. they never turn on.