PDA

View Full Version : What should I do? (O2 Sensor / P0134)

drjd888
08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
First off, yes I searched. I just have a unique situation :mconfused:

I was in Siesta Key for the weekend and my car became a magnet for beach sand so I took it to an automatic car wash. I know its bad and sucks in comparison to a hand wash, but I had no choice. It was Sunday and there was nothing else open. Anyways, I got the upgraded wash that does the wheels and underbody as well.

I drove back to the hotel and the car sat for about an hour. When I left the hotel the CEL was on. I couldn't take it to an autozone right away since I already made prior arrangements. So I drove about 30 minutes to get there and after the tour, which was about 2.5 hours, I went straight to an autozone that was down the street.

They pulled the code, P0134, and told me it was the Primary O2 sensor. I didn't ask the associate to reset the code, but the CEL was not on after I left autozone. I called them about an hour later but he said he couldn't remember if he reset it and that they only reset codes if asked. My car is 6 years old and has just under 69000 miles. Usually the O2 sensors last about 100k miles right? I wasn't sure if the car wash did something weird to the sensor and it fixed itself or the autozone associate reset the code and there is still a problem. This happened on Sunday and the CEL has not come back on after driving for more than 250 miles since then. If there is a problem with the sensor, would the CEL come back after it has been reset?

Also, I haven't experienced an abnormalities operating the car. It is not in limp mode and my gas mileage seems to be the same.

Thanks for any insight/answers.

RHDmeatwagon
08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
It probably just going bad. It will flash on and off. Start staying on for longer and then stay on. Mine went bad at around 65k.
Its just kind of like giving you a heads up

But anyways ya NO CAR WASHES, but congrats on siesta keys its super nice

rjmq06
08-24-2010, 05:48 PM
mine did the same thing but not by doing carwash lolz
anyways i got a p0420 which is my cat went bad and i drove it to my mechanic and he reset it. i notice that if you put the car in ignition (the second click when you put the key but not starting the car) just enough to power the window and radio the CEL stays on and after a few seconds it will blink
and since then i check it everyday, after a week i did the same thing and i notice that the cel stays on but after a sec it turned off and didnt blink anymore
so i took it to a smog test cause my registration expires next month and im suprise i passed and the guy said "congratulations your car is like brand new"

loolz
i was so happy so yeah keep checking it and goodluck lolz

drjd888
08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
It probably just going bad. It will flash on and off. Start staying on for longer and then stay on. Mine went bad at around 65k.
Its just kind of like giving you a heads up

But anyways ya NO CAR WASHES, but congrats on siesta keys its super nice

Thanks for the info. Yeah Siesta Key was great. Weather was a little wet but still had a lot of fun. BTW, the shrimp rangoon at the Mattison's restaurants are amazing! I've never had a better shrimp appetizer.

I'm looking at sensors now. Autozone has Bosch Wideband Upstream O2 Sensor (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__18730153-P_291_R|GRPEMISAMS_1444154761___) for 156.99 but there is a coupon code (BIG40) that brings it down to 116.99 with free shipping or pickup. The NGKs are quite expensive! Anyone have experience with Bosch sensors?