PDA

View Full Version : who got bypass valves with their CAI?

SeatownEP02
12-11-2002, 01:30 AM
i live in seattle and it rains piss loads everyday and with the ghetto pot hole streets im alittle worried. im not sure if i should spend $40 on a bypass valve and have to go thru the hassle of putting that on. so my question is how many of u guys have a bypass valve and is it really worth it. i got a friend with a 99 si (AEM CAI w/out a bypass valve) for 2 years and said he never had any problems. he lives in bellevue.

civic hatch boi
12-11-2002, 02:47 AM
i think it's ok as long as u don't live in a place where water comes up like 2 feet! cuz u really have to soak the filter in water.. also.. it fits in the fender well and it's difficult for water to go in there. plus bypass valves lessen the increase of HP.. :) i say just dont' get it unless u live in the atlantic ocean :) my 5 cents

kenis138
12-11-2002, 06:52 AM
I got one cause it was my first mod ever and Im a big worry wart. Looking back, prolly not necessary, just a little extra peace of mind.

ssvr6
12-11-2002, 07:00 AM
I agree, I don't think it's really necessary.

Steve

02blksi
12-11-2002, 07:01 AM
hmmm, thats weird AEM says that the bypass valve will not work on our intakes, probably because its supposed to be like at least 1 to 2 feet away from the tb to work properly, --I dont have one and im not to worried about hyrdrolock.. Im curious to see if aem was mistaken... --Joe.

kenis138
12-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Joe, did they say it "wont work" or is there just not one listed on the website. When I got mine, was told to just get appropriate diameter and cut the pipe, which I did, and it works and sounds fine...

ssvr6
12-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Submerege the intake in water and see if it works. That's what I think he means.

Steve

myeverlovinsir
12-11-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Submerege the intake in water and see if it works. That's what I think he means.

Steve

Too funny.:D

2fastcivic
12-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
i think it's ok as long as u don't live in a place where water comes up like 2 feet! cuz u really have to soak the filter in water.. also.. it fits in the fender well and it's difficult for water to go in there. plus bypass valves lessen the increase of HP.. :) i say just dont' get it unless u live in the atlantic ocean :) my 5 cents

yea, keep thinking that it has to soak the filter to suck in water. one of my friends that live in texas (rains alot overthere) had a aem cai w/ no bypass on his gsr. the car wasnt even drop. still stock height. it was raining but not flooding. and his intake sucked up water. now he has a worthless motor. if you are so worried seatown, just buy a $40 bypass. i personaly wouldnt even trust the bypass valve. nothing is a guarantee. thats why i bought a short ram.

STP03BlueSI
12-11-2002, 01:23 PM
I have a 99 Mitz Eclipse RS and have a AEM intake cold air. i also purchased the bypass valvue..and thinkin about putting it on..but i really dont want to loose the sound or HP? would u recommend it?

kenis138
12-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6

Steve

Wait...are you? It sounds like.... Yep, I do believe yer bustin my balls there buddy. Well, just to let you know, I went and did it smart guy, parked it in a two foot puddle and redlined the mofo!! And guess what, aawwwwww FUCK!

Next Post: I just destroyed my engine trying to prove a point and now the assholes at Honda wont honor my warranty. btw-I love rice.

(for those of you about to reply "Yer an idiot, why did you do that? Why do you like rice?" I AM KIDDING. I am looking out the window at my car right now and its....GONE oh shit!")

CivicSiR4U2NV
12-11-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by kenis138

Wait...are you? It sounds like.... Yep, I do believe yer bustin my balls there buddy. Well, just to let you know, I went and did it smart guy, parked it in a two foot puddle and redlined the mofo!! And guess what, aawwwwww FUCK!

Next Post: I just destroyed my engine trying to prove a point and now the assholes at Honda wont honor my warranty. btw-I love rice.

(for those of you about to reply "Yer an idiot, why did you do that? Why do you like rice?" I AM KIDDING. I am looking out the window at my car right now and its....GONE oh shit!")

LMFAO :D :'( :D