PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine, Maint Req'd, Limp Mode.. Off and On.. Anyone?

iDom
08-24-2010, 09:09 PM
UPDATE UPDATE
I purchased a new VTEC solenoid. I bought the entire assembly, I simply replaced the old with the new, did an oil change and changed the oil filter, and unplugged the battery for 5 minutes to clear the code and it hasn't come back on since.

It's been about a month and a half and all is well.

UPDATE: Code P1259

I searched and searched. I found some answers but none I found that was very specific to my situation (or I think so, anyway..)

I just rolled about 156,700 on my ep3 and one day (about 3 days after filling up..) the check engine light came on. I have had the car for 2 years now and I became the owner of it at about 130,XXX miles. I have never once had any light come on, not the check engine OR the maint req'd light. So.. I was busy that day so I couldn't really look in to it too much but ALSO later that day, it went off. So I thought no big deal, but then it came on again WITH the maint req'd light and stayed on for a while. Took it to Autozone and they said it was a evap thing, but he didn't clear it.. I drove it home, then did some things at the house then took off down the road again and it went off.. Again.. But the Maint Req'd light stayed on. Thennnn.. Of course, it came back on.. I also experienced (I think) the limp mode.. My car hit the rev limiter at about 4,000 RPM today. Only reason I had it up there that high was because I was trying to get up to speed on the highway. Any thoughts on that? It had been on for about 2 days, then just before I got home tonight it turned off but still the Maint Req'd light is on.

Any ideas? No, it's not the gas cap being unscrewed either.

Anything else I should mention? If it's relevant.. It's the stock engine BUT it has a test pipe, but it has defoulers and has yet to throw a code the entire time I've had the car and I have driven it to Arizona and back here to Ohio with 0 problems. I just don't know why it's going on and off and why I experienced what I believe is limp mode? Any thoughts?

RHCP0801
08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
ok well i guess you didnt search hard enough, here is how you reset the maint light

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43428

second, how about you tell us what the code was? it seems you might be low on oil causing a vtec code because your in limp mode...check your oil level

iDom
08-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes I already know how to turn it off. I found that in my searching.. I said something about it basically to see if it was odd that it came on the second time the check engine light came on. I know they're not 'the same thing' but I was just wondering if there was any correlation.

I checked my oil as well, multiple times. If anything, I'd say I'm too high. Not a lot though.. Probably right above the circle. I changed the oil about 750 miles ago, but I thought about it and I jacked it up differently than I usually do and I just think it didn't drain well, then with the new added oil it just put it a little over the top.

I don't know what the code is for sure, I know I know that would make things easier, I can find out tomorrow but I was just wondering what I could figure out tonight. I gotta work a 12 tomorrow and days are just packed lately. I appreciate the reply though.

MBaG
08-24-2010, 09:21 PM
low oil levels or a dirty vtec solenoid? that's an easy fix/clean.

iDom
08-27-2010, 06:13 AM
low oil levels or a dirty vtec solenoid? that's an easy fix/clean.

The oil levels are actually high, I have been looking around & reading up on it. I took off the solenoid & looked at the screen cause many people have said a dirty or clogged one could cause the p1259 code so I did that but it's still not fixed.

One thing I don't understand is why it's coming off & on, off & on all by itself. I don't know what to try next.

Epnoi312
09-04-2010, 11:34 PM
yeah im going to the same problem right now too.. maintenance light keeps blinking.. and engine light turned on. then 4k rpm, it hit the rev limiter..

CEL turned on 3 times alredy

03NorVa
09-05-2010, 10:24 AM
i have had this problem in the past, but mine would come on after say a 0-80 run at FT, but it was just the oil level being low. capped it off and it never happened again... does it idle rough?

EPo3Hatch
09-05-2010, 11:07 AM
maybe its a bad o2 sensor with your test pipe being on...I know you said you havent had any problems with that but maybe it a suggestion?

iDom
09-05-2010, 11:22 AM
It's a P1259 code which is a VTEC System Malfunction code. I have been looking up on it quite a bit, from my research I have found that:

-If the check engine light comes on above 4k RPM's, it's more than like a mechanical issue.
-If the check engine light comes on below 4k RPM's, it's more than likely a faulty Oil Pressure Switch which is located on the VTEC solenoid.
-It could be a dirty screen filter thing inside the VTEC Solenoid itself. (It's not, I took it off and checked that)
-It could be oil levels. (I checked it, it was actually a little high. Then, I changed my oil so the levels would be perfect, right in between the 2 dots. It still comes off and on)

I'm guessing it's either a faulty Oil Pressure Switch or an electrical problem. I've tried the other things. Later today I am going to take it off and clean the switch, some people have fixed this problem that way too.

The thing is, I drove it out of town and back (about 120 miles) the other day and the check engine light had turned off sometime during the day before the trip and it stayed off, all the way out of town and all the way back to town and the remainder of the night. But then as soon as I turned the car on the next day, it immediately popped up. I would be willing to bet my own money it has to be an electrical problem, which sucks because it could 'possibly' be a lot of things then. We'll see.

Also, I could be wrong about the above stated info, but I think that's about 'right'. Any further comments or suggestions are more than welcome. I don't pretend to know everything haha so I'm always open to other inputs.