PDA

View Full Version : Does the spoon header eliminates the cat ?

Asylum
12-11-2002, 06:00 AM
This is what I think and I want for my car. I think that the spoon header (which is in two parts : 4-2 and then 2-1) has the lengh of the stock header + the cat and eliminates the cat as does the comptech race header (click). (http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/210055rsx.html) Here is a pic of the 2-1 part :

http://www.chezfree.com/japantuning/spoon.jpg

Do you think I am right ?

ssvr6
12-11-2002, 07:07 AM
Yes, you're right.

(Very interesting too.)

Steve

02blksi
12-11-2002, 07:17 AM
neat, lots of money though.... Plus its really IMO a "race" piece, i wouldnt really consider it for everyday street use as the rpm range to where it is most effective probably is VERY high 6+ rpms. so putting around town it might be worse than stock. Just something to think about, cool non the less. --Joe:)

CRV440
12-11-2002, 08:11 AM
It does eliminate the oem cat, but what is that canister between the two sensor holes? Is it another (high flow) cat, or a resonator? I would think it's a cat seeing as how there are two sensors for it. If it's not, then why wouldn't they just use same size piping all the way through? I'm guessing that the DC5R is an emissions legal vehicle and Spoon would keep it that way with a cat built into the 2-1 pipe.

This might be a good pipe for street use because it's a 4-2-1 design which would compliment the midrange, but this pipe, along with the matching header comes from a DC5R, and Spoon is making it for the RSX-S. And since you have a Type R, you should only benefit from this setup. It might not work so well for the other EP's. Someone will have to experiment with it.

Asylum
12-11-2002, 11:03 AM
I don't think it's a cat. Only a resonator even if there are the two holes for the sensor (I think that my Honda dealer will know how to do not to have a cel). If I would like to keep the cat, I would buy a Comptech header. But I want to eliminate the cat.

I have seen on spoon web site that it costs 110'000 yen (900$). For comparison, the comtech race header is 1000$ and a common comptech header is 530$ + a straight pipe ~150$...

S800Racer
12-11-2002, 11:05 AM
That looks like a really nice piece. couple of comments

1) I agree that it appears they have put a cat of their own into the header. Their is no reason to put a resonator in that location so I have little doubt that it is a cat. That would keep it street legal which has to help in sales.

2) torque/HP. The general rule is that 4-2-1 headers give better low rpm torque than 4-1 headers, so this may be a reasonably good street header. On the other hand, it was designed and presumably tuned for the 8000rpm K20A2 & not for our motor.

3) Until someone bolts one up & does some dyno work, we can only speculate about how well it will or won't work.

DjMacAtack
12-11-2002, 11:46 AM
i also keep reading that the cat on k20a2 engines are placed further back compared to the si...

that may be why the header goes so far back.

MickeCTR
12-23-2002, 04:29 PM
Do you know if the 2-1 will eliminate the cat?

Is the 2-1 piece you can buy alone the same as the 2-1 that comes with the 4-2-1?

Thanx

chunky
12-23-2002, 10:51 PM
looks to me like that's a cat.

if it's designed to remove the cat, you wouldn't have any o2 sensors, thus no bungs for those sensors.

See comptech's design for a header that's designed to eliminate the cat.

It's hard to tell what rpm range that header was desinged for as the lengths of the header primaries are very important in a 4-2-1 header. But since the secondaries are so long, the primaries must be relatively short leading me to believe it was tuned to reinforce midrange power while making as small of a compromise in top end power.

MickeCTR
12-25-2002, 04:31 AM
The Spoon header has 2 holes for the O2 sensors. BUT it will still trow a CEl, damn thst the only thing stopping me from buying this one.:mad:

Jpax
12-25-2002, 09:41 AM
http://www.spoon.jp/eng/products/lineup_main.php?page=023

The bottom header is the one for that 2 - 1 pice.

looks good . :D

AJ Racing
12-28-2002, 02:12 AM
The Spoon header for DC5R/EP3R does eliminate the catalytic convertor.

Many vendors will describe it as race use only not because of its power band but because it eliminates the catalytic convertor and is hence not emissions legal.

Spoon has always designed its headers to improve power all across the powerband. With their K20 header, you can expect significant midrange gains as well as high end gains. No major losses at lowend. Streetability is excellent.

Here are some pictures of the header on a DC5R

http://www.aj-racing.com/Media/Features/images/SpoonDC5Header/IMG_0872a.jpg

http://www.aj-racing.com/Media/Features/images/SpoonDC5Header/IMG_0866a.jpg

http://www.aj-racing.com/Media/Features/images/SpoonDC5Header/IMG_0873a.jpg

http://www.aj-racing.com/Media/Features/images/SpoonDC5Header/IMG_0874a.jpg

02blksi
12-28-2002, 08:51 AM
im assuming since the cat is replaced, you will also notice along with the use of this "race" header a nice yellow CEL/MIL light as well. :( --Joe

02SilverSiHB
12-29-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
im assuming since the cat is replaced, you will also notice along with the use of this "race" header a nice yellow CEL/MIL light as well. :( --Joe
yeah, always get a simulator for it. But that header wouldn't fit our block anyway. The type r is slightly different...that's why we can use the RSX header and not the RSX type S header on our cars...correct?

Jpax
12-29-2002, 11:14 PM
Thats why i love spoon.

:eek: :D

AJ Racing
12-31-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi

with regards to the Check Engine Light, for those of you with European Civic Type R (EP3), we do not know for sure if the Spoon header will cause the light to come on. As the European car has completely different specifications, including the ECU from the American cars, and considering emissions are not as strict in Europe, it is possible that the Check Engine Light will not come on. We are still trying to confirm this and will provide an answer as soon as possible.

But in any case, even with the light on, for any car, all you have to do is unplug the light bulb! It's not a big deal at all!

Skidtron89
01-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeah, always get a simulator for it. But that header wouldn't fit our block anyway. The type r is slightly different...that's why we can use the RSX header and not the RSX type S header on our cars...correct?

Actually the K20A3 and the K20A2 headers are interchangable just the bottom mount for it can't be interchanged. Thats how we eliminated having to get the exhaust cut up on modern-perf's car. We just use the Si manifold and cat and his new bigger mid pipe. It bolts up fine and the manifold doesn't leak due to not having the bottom bracket/hanger thingy.

02SilverSiHB
01-04-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Skidtron89

Actually the K20A3 and the K20A2 headers are interchangable just the bottom mount for it can't be interchanged. Thats how we eliminated having to get the exhaust cut up on modern-perf's car. We just use the Si manifold and cat and his new bigger mid pipe. It bolts up fine and the manifold doesn't leak due to not having the bottom bracket/hanger thingy.
ah! thanks