PDA

View Full Version : why SCC is biased

grooveline
12-11-2002, 09:54 AM
Why has SCC been so biased towards our Si? ITs ranked 8 out of 8 cars, with the Neon being numero uno. Wait a minute... A Neon is better than our Si? No way. But if you look a little closer at the whole article, you see a trend. They make honda 8th, volkswagon 7th, hyundai 6th, but then you see that they make the claim that Ford, Mazda(owned by Ford), and Dodge are first. I'm smelling something awfully stinky, and its bribe money thats stinking. thats right, SCC has been bought by american car makers.

side note; I'll blame guns for Columbine when I blame forks for Rosie Odonnal being a fat pig!

ssvr6
12-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Really? And what about the saucer and the little green men?

Conspiracy? I doubt it.

Steve

punkdork
12-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Guys, face it, our car gets womped on performance wise in stock form. Sure there may be a bigger aftermarket for our cars but in stock form we have tiny wheels with crappy tires, too much body roll, not enough power, weak stereo, etc. We don't even have a 6 speed tranny. Like the article said, the only things we have going are the seats and wheel. That being said I've driven a stock 1.8t golf and I find my Si much more fun to drive. However, by today's standards I barely consider this a pocket rocket. It should've had at least 180 hp and a limited slip differential. Honda tried to sell based solely on the name and now their sales are suffering for it.

IceD out N CALI
12-11-2002, 10:41 AM
no man theres no conspiracies--jus let it slide and realize those 5 times a year u get hit on for a race by a neon, you'll lose.

civic hatch boi
12-11-2002, 10:53 AM
cmon now, it's a neon. *laff* american's can't build cars. leave it to us to build cars :)

IceD out N CALI
12-11-2002, 10:54 AM
its a neon that'll beat the snot out of us in a race:eek:

civic hatch boi
12-11-2002, 10:56 AM
but is speed really everything? if so, why'd we get a civic? cuz it's NOT, it's about overallness, that i think our car has.

IceD out N CALI
12-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
but is speed really everything? if so, why'd we get a civic? cuz it's NOT, it's about overallness, that i think our car has.

nope, speed is not everything but seems these days Horsepower is a good selling point

civic hatch boi
12-11-2002, 11:05 AM
i say let the market buy these "fast" neons.. and 1 every year after that.

ssvr6
12-11-2002, 11:11 AM
american's can't build cars. leave it to us to build cars :)

I'm just curious who "us" are? I thought we were Americans?

:rolleyes:

Steve

civic hatch boi
12-11-2002, 11:12 AM
well. i was born in america. so i consider myself half american :) my other half is asian :)

ballsdeep
12-11-2002, 11:21 AM
I considered all these car when purchasing my SI and I think that the SI is the best car for the money depending on what you paid. You wouldnt catch me dead in a Hyundai or a neon. The ford focus is only a little faster then the si and its turbocharged. It also was more then what I paid for the SI and the alacantra in the focus is ugly. The 1.8T is the only one I would rather have but I couldnt justify paying 21,500 when my si was only 16,500.

jaydub
12-11-2002, 11:29 AM
cmon now, it's a neon. *laff* american's can't build cars. leave it to us to build cars :)

So you are aware that previous gen Si's were built in Ohio, and since our Si is built in England....

Is it really that hard to believe that someone built a faster car than ours? It's an economy car, it's purpose built to be economical, and it serves that purpose very well.

IceD out N CALI
12-11-2002, 11:35 AM
The only weak point dodge has is that it is a Neon. Neons have been stigmitized as being girly cars and what not but with their numbers i'm sure that'll change

David K.
12-11-2002, 11:38 AM
The SVT Focus is not turbocharged, it's 170hp all-motor, but it is fairly tweaked from the factory. The Mazdaspeed is 170hp w/ turbo and has a ton of potential in it, just like the 180hp GTI. When you look at the other cars in the test that are not turbo'd from the factory, our car doesn't look so bad on paper. And I think most of us would agree that our 160 horsies are a little stronger in the real world than in magazine land. As for the wheel/tire setup and suspension, I thought thats what car crafting was all about, improving on what you are given. Sure 17s or a 6spd. would have been nice from the factory, but I don't feel that the car suffers too much w/o them. An LSD would have been REAL nice, though.....:'(

punkdork
12-11-2002, 11:47 AM

I agree. I think their rating was soley on performance. Which I guess our car loses in. I do however find this car very fun to drive and I enjoy the fit and finish better than a lot of the cars mentioned. We'll also probably win in the resale value down the road.

Acidburn
12-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by punkdork

I agree. I think their rating was soley on performance. Which I guess our car loses in. I do however find this car very fun to drive and I enjoy the fit and finish better than a lot of the cars mentioned. We'll also probably win in the resale value down the road.

I agree with the comment that was being said that speed wasn't everything - true, its not. The new Neon was built for cheap speed and speed only. I've seen the car's interior, one word: cheap. As for the look, IMO it's just another Neon car with a big grill :) Anyway, back to the topic - there's no conspiracy. SCC is an ok mag in IMO, there is no such thing as a magazine that brings you the total truth. Actually, Maxim comes pretty damn close. :p

JoshSI
12-11-2002, 11:59 AM
The main thing I dislike about our car is that it doesnt have the real vtec! That is so weak! All I have to say is we better get some good numbers from FI!

02SiHB
12-11-2002, 12:13 PM
There isn't any kind of conspiracy, but SCC is a joke. I don't care if they trash the ep.... When Honda was up, they were all about them. Honda is going backwards, plain and simple.. Yes, the ep is a good quality automobile, but when it comes to killer performance from the factory, people expect to see something special out of an "Si" trim after the 6th gens... Honda had alot to live up to after the factory b16.... At the rate that anti-Honda sentiment is rising, I'm not suprised one of the top selling auto mag is baggin' on Hondas. More and more people are learning the principal of buying cheaper, and going faster.. It used to be (and sort of still is) you buy a cheap honda, and spend the left over money on mods. Now you, can buy a cheap car, and make it go insanley faster than the same amount of cash dumped into a Honda. Example: 1992 AWD Talon.. You can get one for 4 grand.. buying mods, a boost controller, and other goodies, you can easily make 400 whp off a STOCK Turbo on a 4g63 DSM motor... In no time you can be in the 10's or 11's easily if you're tuning properly. That's of course a drag setup and not an overall car, but still... Who wants to pay for a hatch, then 4 grand on a swap alone? That'll get you nowhere fast. Honda's aren't the end all to import performance, and as more and more publications sense that the public is exploring things other than b series motors, and greddy turbo kits, (just an example of two popular things) there will be more stuff like this.. Look forward and get used to more Honda bashing in the future from magazines including SCC.. Me? I love honda... Wouldn't drive anything else.

punkdork
12-11-2002, 12:24 PM
I really don't think they bashed on it. I agree with every weak point they mentioned. Anyone believe what they mentioned was untrue?

blacksvt
12-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ballsdeep
I considered all these car when purchasing my SI and I think that the SI is the best car for the money depending on what you paid. You wouldnt catch me dead in a Hyundai or a neon. The ford focus is only a little faster then the si and its turbocharged. It also was more then what I paid for the SI and the alacantra in the focus is ugly. The 1.8T is the only one I would rather have but I couldnt justify paying 21,500 when my si was only 16,500.

Umm....the SVT Focus is NOT turbocharged. The SVT Focus is cheaper than the new SI. SCC magazine is comparing cars that are in STOCK form, and I'm sorry, but the SVT beats the new SI in every single catagory except interior quality I would say. The SVT is faster, the SVT has more horsepower, stock to stock the SVT waxes the new SI in road course or slalom tests, actually the SVT beats the WRX in slalom speeds as well, even the new Z06 Corvette can't take turns as fast as the SVT, so anyways...price to price and stock to stock the SVT is simply the better car. Now for all you stock EP hatch owners..... all ya need is a new tire/rim combo and your car handles MUCH better, also a header, exhaust and CAI helps bring up the HP a notch. So...I agree with the magazine on this one! ;) Both are great cars by the way and share many similarities!

silver ep
12-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Now for all you stock EP hatch owners..... all ya need is a new tire/rim combo and your car handles MUCH better, also a header, exhaust and CAI helps bring up the HP a notch.

Amen to that! ;)

greenguy
12-11-2002, 01:30 PM
If it's any consolation, SCC just named the SRT NEON Car Of The Year:D :confused:

blacksvt
12-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by greenguy
If it's any consolation, SCC just named the SRT NEON Car Of The Year:D :confused:

Well....the car is groundbreaking, at least here in the U.S., I mean come on 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds? Man...you gotta give Dodge credit for releasing a car with that much power for a 4-banger and on top of that offering turbo upgrades for 300hp +. All this power for $20,000 is a steal. I've seen the car already, and it looks sharp, the seats are straight out of the Dodge Viper offering excellent support. Yes, the interior is on the cheap side, but so is the Subby WRX's. Would you buy a car with this much power for the interior? I don't think so. I give respect where respect is due. ;)

grooveline
12-11-2002, 02:10 PM
all I have to say about the Mazdaspeed is Fuck it, and its stock protege tranny.. ptooey!

Acidburn
12-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by blacksvt

Well....the car is groundbreaking, at least here in the U.S., I mean come on 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds? Man...you gotta give Dodge credit for releasing a car with that much power for a 4-banger and on top of that offering turbo upgrades for 300hp +. All this power for $20,000 is a steal. I've seen the car already, and it looks sharp, the seats are straight out of the Dodge Viper offering excellent support. Yes, the interior is on the cheap side, but so is the Subby WRX's. Would you buy a car with this much power for the interior? I don't think so. I give respect where respect is due. ;)

Well, I agree with what you said. I'll give credit where credit is due. But honestly, does the public really care how much power you have under the hood or that your car can push 0-60 in 5.6 seconds? The only ones who care about those stats are the minority car enthusiasts. It's all about the combination of both power and looks that catches people's eye. If they would have redesigned the SRT4, added a decent interior, and actually engineered the engine with quality (even if it puts the price range over 20K) - then maybe, just maybe, I'd look into getting the SRT4. IMO, power doesn't do it for me. If they put a engine on a Pinto with 400 whp and turbocharged, but made minor modifications to the exterior and interior, IMO it's still a crap Pinto. Hence, the new SRT4 is still a Neon with a turboed engine.

blacksvt
12-11-2002, 02:34 PM
SCC = Sport Compact Car hence performance matters to them and the peole who pick up a sports car oriented magazine! ;)

grooveline
12-11-2002, 02:39 PM
No.. yer all wrong. SCC has been sold out to american car builders, you guys are just the *lemurs* of the media that you accept it, and ask for seconds, but not me man. in fact....shhhhhhhhhh! I think they're watching me...

punkdork
12-11-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by grooveline
*snip*you guys are just the *lemurs*

Did you mean lemmings? :D

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
12-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by punkdork
Guys, face it, our car gets womped on performance wise in stock form. Sure there may be a bigger aftermarket for our cars but in stock form we have tiny wheels with crappy tires, too much body roll, not enough power, weak stereo, etc. We don't even have a 6 speed tranny. Like the article said, the only things we have going are the seats and wheel. That being said I've driven a stock 1.8t golf and I find my Si much more fun to drive. However, by today's standards I barely consider this a pocket rocket. It should've had at least 180 hp and a limited slip differential. Honda tried to sell based solely on the name and now their sales are suffering for it.

I guess i'm not the only guy here that came from Maxima.org.

---My 4DSC---

van_yammer
12-11-2002, 03:40 PM

I don't think your Si was touched by any of "you." It was built in England.

punkdork
12-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

I guess i'm not the only guy here that came from Maxima.org.

---My 4DSC---

Hah! Whats up man? Yeah I traded the Max in for my Si back in... April I think it was. Stupid auto tranny.

:)