PDA

View Full Version : k20a3 block/a2 head

K24/20monsta
08-29-2010, 06:54 PM
IM looking into puttin on a a2 head onto the a3 block, wats needed to make it work out right? im looking into throwing a supercharger on.....not unless someones got a better idea for me.

EP3Casas
08-29-2010, 07:41 PM
just do the vtec killer setup. much more efficient.

but to answer your question:
a2 head
kpro
310cc injectors

maybe a few other things but im pretty sure this is it

K24/20monsta
08-30-2010, 04:20 PM
wat would be the killer vtec setup?

EP3Casas
08-30-2010, 11:54 PM
wat would be the killer vtec setup?

running a2 cams on teh big lobe all day.

gtimportfanatic
08-31-2010, 04:34 AM
yeah.. onasty made 195whp all motor a3 block a1 head vtec killer

Onasty
08-31-2010, 05:11 AM
yeah.. onasty made 195whp all motor a3 block a1 head vtec killer
Hey Hey giviing out my number

kingpuba
08-31-2010, 07:04 AM
would the a2 head make even more power if you ran it on the big lobe all day? or would swapping a2 cams and some rockers in the a3 be more beneficial?

kp

EP3Casas
08-31-2010, 08:09 AM
the vtec killer is more beneficial. you wont make that great of numbers with the a2 head. i think a long time ago an OG made somethin like 177 whp tuned. quite a waste

i think the vtec killer is more beneficial power wise and money wise

MugenReplica
08-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Going to set a few facts straight....

Innovative Tuning fully tuned the second K20a2/K20a3 swap. They put down 197whp on Anjapowers Ep (with Ep3 AEM CAI, Comptech RH, Comptech exhaust, and Kpro). His original reasoning it sucked was because you always fell out of VTEC when shifting. Since that time, at least SEVEN members have pushed their redline well past what Anja set as his limit, so there should be no falling out of VTEC anymore.

The first ever K20a2/K20a3 setup was just recently sold by Gearhead Geek. His original dyno was 177whp (pitiful, but so were his supporting modifications and he was on the Type S ECU. No Kpro)The last I talked to him in person, he said he was keeping up with Type S's with the same modifications as he had. I'm not sure what his rev limit was set at however.

So we had ONE guy run it down all over online (in 2005), so naturally everybody thinks it's worthless. Maybe some of you should step into the limelight and try it for yourselves.

Onasty
08-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Maybe some of you should step into the limelight and try it for yourselves.

Thats what im saying...Im bout to switch to tsx cams or stage 2 rsx cams for my setup and see how it goes

MugenReplica
08-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Here you go guys....

Well lets just say that Mike at Innovative Tuning is awesome :thumbsup: And tuning is KEY!!

I have a 2003 Civic Si that I recently put a K20a2 cylinder head on. My other modifications are AEM CAI, Comptech Race Header, Comptech Exhaust, Hondata IM Gasket and Hondata Kpro.

After getting the car back from my mechanic with the headswap completed, I ran the cold air calibration for the K20a2. I noticed something was wrong right off the bat as my friend with an EP3 that had equal mods sans headswap, was able to put put 2-3 carlengths on me from 60-100mph. I started panicking right away and datalogged...and then panicked some more.

A/F Ratio was at 19:1 at one point during WOT and I was getting a knock count of 20+ over 7k RPM. My friend helped me add 20% fuel and retard timing a little bit, which seemed to atleast get things running safely. However the car was still driving like crap. I was getting very impatient and fedup at this point because I had just sunk so much money into it and wasn't getting the results.

I realized I needed tuning ASAP. I tried searching for tuners in the area but no one really had experience with the K-series motors or Kpro. Not to mention they were charging an arm and a leg. So I ran into JJB Autoworks on here and he mentioned that I could take a day trip to Buffalo (500 miles one way from me) and get tuned there...

I thought about his offer but the distance turned me away. I kept looking for tuners but when I failed to find one, I quickly got in touch with Mike at Innovative Tuning and setup an appt. I left at 3AM from my house in MA, and reached Buffalo, NY at about 10AM. We got the car on the dyno and then the rest is pure magic :laughing:

Initial run on the dyno put down 175 at the wheels. I knew the car wasn't running well but I had put down 165whp on a stock A3 head so 175 seemed really crappy. I was really regretting my investment in the A2 head at this point...

Mike went to work, and in about 45 mins he had the car putting down 190whp :love: When I started out on this project, I had set a goal of 190whp, and I was EXTREMELY happy that good results had occured so early on.

Mike kept working on it and the final, heatsoaked run of the day was 197.0 whp :eek: Keep in mind, its still got the crappy A3 block. Not too shabby for i/h/e and tuning :cool:

The drive home was very fun. I think Mike swapped in a K20a2 while I wasn't looking :tonguegri Pulls WAY HARDER than it did before and the difference is just astounding. Car is running like a champ, and Mike at Innovative Tuning gets two big thumbs up from me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here's a chart of the highest untuned dyno run vs. highest and last run of the day. I bet I could hit the vaunted 200whp figure if the car wasn't so heatsoaked.

http://www.innovativetuning.com/siteImages/dynoGraphs/ASinghCivicSi8.20.04.jpg

Leave some feedback on what everybody thinks. I hope to see some of you try this modification in the future.

EP3Casas
08-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Here you go guys....

Leave some feedback on what everybody thinks. I hope to see some of you try this modification in the future.

the upside to the head swap would b the tq. but hp is the same as the vtec killer setup