PDA

View Full Version : Help with door panels...

sifrk32
08-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Ok...it's obvious I've been doing a lot of interior work on my car & now its time for my door panels. Where there should be fabric, there's fiberglass layover which is done horribly. reupholstering is IMPOSSIBlE because I cannot stuff the fabric between the armrest and the fiberglass layover. :mmad:

I do not want to trash my panels, as they are $$ and my whole goal for my summer/winter makeover is to use as less $$ as possible.:mcool:

Question: How do I remove the armrest on the door? Question 2: Can the panel that is usually carpeted be removed?
I did search, and sorry mods if there is a diy on this, but I didn't see it:mangel:. I know there are plastic clips to be melted or removed, but how? I feel like if I mess anything up my doors will be permanently damaged.

RedSiBaron
08-30-2010, 08:42 AM
it is possible...SHG_EasyE did a writeup on the fabric doorpanel and he removed them. do a search on his and if you cant find it pm him and hell send you the link im sure...it might even be in his members ride

charles
08-30-2010, 09:12 AM
To take out the armrest, you have to drill out the plastic welds that are holding it. you got to make sure not to drill too much because you have to use screws to secure the armrest back on.

I believe the carpeted area cant be removed with out some cutting

Anrasmor
08-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Ok...it's obvious I've been doing a lot of interior work on my car & now its time for my door panels. Where there should be fabric, there's fiberglass layover which is done horribly. reupholstering is IMPOSSIBlE because I cannot stuff the fabric between the armrest and the fiberglass layover. :mmad:

I do not want to trash my panels, as they are $$ and my whole goal for my summer/winter makeover is to use as less $$ as possible.:mcool:

Question: How do I remove the armrest on the door? Question 2: Can the panel that is usually carpeted be removed?
I did search, and sorry mods if there is a diy on this, but I didn't see it:mangel:. I know there are plastic clips to be melted or removed, but how? I feel like if I mess anything up my doors will be permanently damaged.

Usually I used a large drill bit to break the melted plastic but not drill through the panel. It might also help to melt the plastic a little bit more with a soldering iron.

sifrk32
08-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys, good advice. RedSiBaron, thanks for the tip. I searched but no luck, pm'ed SHG_EasyE anyway just in case. Little skeptical about drilling but that seems to be the only way. Just another line on my giant to do list lol.

Jukka
08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
SHG_EasyE's write up got lost in the crash. I asked him to re-post it but hes been pretty busy. I would love to see his old DIY again because it was so in dept/detailed.