PDA

View Full Version : REM wire to AMP not putting out 12v

Nooget
08-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Alright, just got my amp and sub today and was really excited to hook it up. The car was pre-wired for an amp (thanks, previous owner!), so I basically just had to connect everything to the amp. When I fired the car up, the amp did not come on, but I was getting 12v between the power & ground terminals on the amp. I took a short length of wire & connected the positive 12v on the amp to the REM line and the amp lit up and started blasting away. My question: I have a feeling the REM wire came loose from the back of the headunit. I won't have time to pull the dash out until tomorrow and was wondering if it would damage the amp to use that little bridge wire between the positive 12v and the REM line so the amp turns on in the meantime until I get a chance to actually fix it. Obviously I'll unconnect it when the car isn't on so I don't kill my battery. Thanks for any help!

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
It should be ok but like you said dont leave it like that when the car is off.

RON
08-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Alright, just got my amp and sub today and was really excited to hook it up. The car was pre-wired for an amp (thanks, previous owner!), so I basically just had to connect everything to the amp. When I fired the car up, the amp did not come on, but I was getting 12v between the power & ground terminals on the amp. I took a short length of wire & connected the positive 12v on the amp to the REM line and the amp lit up and started blasting away. My question: I have a feeling the REM wire came loose from the back of the headunit. I won't have time to pull the dash out until tomorrow and was wondering if it would damage the amp to use that little bridge wire between the positive 12v and the REM line so the amp turns on in the meantime until I get a chance to actually fix it. Obviously I'll unconnect it when the car isn't on so I don't kill my battery. Thanks for any help!

12V is 12V... No problem.

Nooget
09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the responses! I finally had time to pull the headunit out and it looks like the "accessory" 12V line was just hanging there. After connecting it to the previously mentioned pre-wired REM line, the AMP kicked on, so it's good to go. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best placement of the subwoofer. Do most people find it best to aim the sub to the driver's side rear tire well? It's in a typical sub box (Rockford Fosgate P2 box/sub combo), so the sub & vent both face the tire well. I originally had it facing the hatch, but the bass was really overbearing and muddy. Aiming it toward the tire well seemed to help quite a bit...

Chad
09-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Tire well as on shooting into the back corner or tire well as in blowing sideways into the hump? Any boundary loading is best, the boomyness you experienced could be due to you being a bit overzealous with the bass boost on the amp, headunit, etc. Flatten EVERYTHING OUT, THEN play with placement. You will chase your tail otherwise.

Nooget
09-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I have it facing 90 degrees to the left, facing the driver's side tire well hump. I set the lowpass filter to about 80 hz and set gain to about 50% -- should I also flatten the EQ on the headunit and then mess with placement? Last question (for now): I'd like to mount the amp to the back of the back seat. I'm not sure what kind of material is under the carpeting. Is it safe to just screw in? Any places on the back seat better than others? And I've seen some people recommend screwing the amp into a piece of wood and then screwing the wood into the seat? They didn't bother with the wood on the last system I had professionally installed (in a 2000 Corolla) and there didn't seem to be any issues, so I'd rather skip that step if it's not necessary since I don't really have access to woodworking tools. Thanks for all the help so far!