PDA

View Full Version : Increase HWY/FWY speed limit?

Acidburn
12-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Over here in Cali, the FWY speed limit is about 65. CHP and other law enforcement allow 75-79 mph. Since cars now-a-days are faster than they were a decade ago, don't you think they should raise the speed limit? Raise it from 65 to 70 or 75 maybe?

punkdork
12-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Acidburn
Over here in Cali, the FWY speed limit is about 65. CHP and other law enforcement allow 75-79 mph. Since cars now-a-days are faster than they were a decade ago, don't you think they should raise the speed limit? Raise it from 65 to 70 or 75 maybe?

Maybe for qualified drivers. The fact is, most yuppies drinking mochas driving SUVs and talking on cell phones shouldn't even be driving let alone doing 75. If they raise the limit to 75 then the people will start doin 80-85. That's scarry.

My opinion is interstates out side of major cities should be 80-85 at least and in cities should be 70. Overall most around town speed limits could stand to be 10-15 higher too. Also, we need to find a way to prevent speeding tickets from being nothing but a police fund raiser.

Tragedy
12-11-2002, 12:13 PM
I think it depends on the mood of the cop. I was once pulled over for going 68 in 65 on 101, and another time I was driving to Los Angeles and was pulled over for going 75 in a 70 zone on Highway 5. There was enough controversey raising the speed limit to 65, so I highly doubt any consideration for a higher speed limit will be taken.

There are a lot of faster cars nowadays, but I think 99.9% of cars that were available in the USA 10 years ago were capable of going 70-75MPH. The only difference is, today's cars can reach that speed at a faster rate.

Acidburn
12-11-2002, 12:47 PM
They should make a law, where all SUVs must be on the far right lanes traveling at 65 mph like those truckers! hehe

HondaMan
12-11-2002, 01:21 PM
I'll try to keep this short. Speed Limits should be raised, but for the retards that drive the speed limit in the fast lane drinking their lattes while talking on their cell phones should be limited to the slow lane, and get a huge freaking ticket if they are caught doing all those things in the fast lane!!!

People in Seattle drive slow for the most part and I get run over doing 80 here in Georgia now, and the damn truckers are in the fast lane a lot...hauling ass on top of that! Driving to where I'm staying on I-75 is crazy. BTW, did I mention I freaking hate slow ass people in the fast lane? Grrr! :mad:

its raining
12-11-2002, 01:50 PM
well in texas recently, they dropped the speed limit down to 55. it was horrible, something about some group saying going 65 is causing too much pollution, and going 55 isnt. well, they passed this law without doing too much research. texas air is horrible and filthy, but this law did nothing for it. anyways, it didnt last but maybe 4 months or so? everyone in the state complained and more research led that the decrease in speed did not help the air much, just more speeding tickets for us. i was one of the lucky to receive a ticket when this law was passed. i was driving 65 on the highway and i got a ticket for it. bullshit if you ask me. good thing its gone now. im still pissed. :mad:

IceD out N CALI
12-11-2002, 03:52 PM
over in nevada past vegas on the 15, the speed limit is 75:)

LordKoo
12-12-2002, 12:13 AM
Nah... I did 120 all the way in Nevada :)

importhonda
12-12-2002, 12:15 AM
yeah the 15 in california is 70 or 75 I think

cbecker333
12-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Speed limits should be variable based on your driving history and your vehicle's ability to travel safely at high speed. End of story. This concept is a long way off, and doesn't sound feasible. BUT, when I see an 80's VW van with a muffler scraping on the ground going around 90, I can't help but think it should be more legal for me to do 90, as I have speed-rated tires, 4 wheel disc brakes, and multiple electronic braking systems (EBS, ABS) to bring my speed down while still maintaining control.

jaydub
12-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Nah... I did 120 all the way in Nevada :) I don't believe this for a second.

IceD out N CALI
12-12-2002, 11:58 AM
I know this would never happen but it would be cool to see like 85MPH speed limit on stretches of open road like the 15 goin to vegas:)

chunky
12-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
I'll try to keep this short. Speed Limits should be raised, but for the retards that drive the speed limit in the fast lane drinking their lattes while talking on their cell phones should be limited to the slow lane, and get a huge freaking ticket if they are caught doing all those things in the fast lane!!!

People in Seattle drive slow for the most part and I get run over doing 80 here in Georgia now, and the damn truckers are in the fast lane a lot...hauling ass on top of that! Driving to where I'm staying on I-75 is crazy. BTW, did I mention I freaking hate slow ass people in the fast lane? Grrr! :mad:

welcome to GA.

people who don't understand that slower traffic should stay to the right. People who don't use their turn signals. People who drive way too fast for the kind of car they're in.

Personally, I think there should be various classes of licenses. For instance, in order to drive on an interstate, you should need a higher class of license than on a state highway or city road. Perhaps even have a decal that is on your license plate so the cops can tell if you're not licensed to drive on the interstate.

And in order to get this class of license, you should be required to have completed some more advanced driver's schools etc.

Then you could actually raise speed limits to 80mph or 85mph and probably end up with FEWER accidents. 90% of all accidents around here occur when some jackass is going too slow in the far left, and the people behind him have to make some tricky lane changes to get around him.

slamedrides
12-12-2002, 03:41 PM
lol

For each sticker on your car you should be able to do 5 more mph..

cuz we all know that each one adds 5 whp... hahahahaha j/k

insomniac
12-13-2002, 07:58 AM
Yea....this is a good idea...nothing like getting run over by a semi doing 80 that won't yield the right lane to merging traffic.

HondaMan
12-13-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by chunky

welcome to GA.

people who don't understand that slower traffic should stay to the right. People who don't use their turn signals. People who drive way too fast for the kind of car they're in.

Personally, I think there should be various classes of licenses. For instance, in order to drive on an interstate, you should need a higher class of license than on a state highway or city road. Perhaps even have a decal that is on your license plate so the cops can tell if you're not licensed to drive on the interstate.

And in order to get this class of license, you should be required to have completed some more advanced driver's schools etc.

Then you could actually raise speed limits to 80mph or 85mph and probably end up with FEWER accidents. 90% of all accidents around here occur when some jackass is going too slow in the far left, and the people behind him have to make some tricky lane changes to get around him.

Yep, so true & good idea! I am a Georgia boy, but coming back here to the traffic and very poor driving abilities of most people on Interstates around here is always an eye opening experience. :eek: Grrr! :mad:

natesi
12-13-2002, 06:55 PM
I was in Montanna a few months ago and the speed limit was like 75mph. Everyone was doing 80, at least. What traffic there was, at least.