PDA

View Full Version : Front/Rear shock Help.

Jayn909
09-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Hello i was wondering if anybody had info on a good DIY on installation of Front/Rear shocks having trouble taking off rears with ease.:tehehyper:

.colin
09-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Hello i was wondering if anybody had info on a good DIY on installation of Front/Rear shocks having trouble taking off rears with ease.:tehehyper:

are you just having problems removing it from the car?

VIZHUNZ02SI
09-01-2010, 04:18 PM
im sure you know how to jack up your ep and take off your wheels, unlike some people on here. unbolt the bottom of the shock from the rear swing arm. then unblot the 2 bolts holding then top of the shock to the chasis (presuming you know where it is). take a pry bar and pry the bottom of the shock out away toward the gastank. becarefull. it will drop on you so stay clear when you're prying it out. once you have the new shock assembly in. bolt the top of the shock down. then get a jack ready. you're going to unbolt the rear knuckle from the rear camber arm. bolt in the bottom of the shock to the swing arm. once thats done use the jack to jack up the swing arm to align it camber arm and bolt it back up

Jayn909
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
No i would like to take them off a easier way its such a hassle trying to pry them out or having help i was just wondering if any bodies found a easier method of doing it.

Anrasmor
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
According to Alldata you don't have to loosen the control arm like that. I would imagine if you raise the car enough the suspension would drop enough. If not you might try loosening the control arm bolts a little but when you put it all back together. Before tightening, jack up the control arm and place it like it's sitting at ride height and then tighten everything.

matt062286
09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I never had to loosen or touch any other bolts than the ones holding the shock in place on the rears. Getting the bottom bolt out is difficult for some people; it has a tendency to rust and become frozen inside of the sleeve it goes through. I used PB Blaster every few days a week before I attempted to remove the bolt, and I still needed a long breaker bar to loosen the bolt.

Reinstalling the shock was a bit of a challenge for me. I had to compress the spring/shock in order to line up the bottom of the shock to the arm. I used my spare tire jack and a small piece of wood to get it. Nothing too painful just a matter of time and patience.

The fronts are much more of a hassle, if you have any questions I can try my best to help. Good luck.