PDA

View Full Version : saved 320 dolla. pride+13

4lugSLUG
09-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I asked Honda to do my brakes and they quoted me at approx 390 for front pads and rotors and rear pads. After i realized that is absurd, I decided to grow some balls and just do it myself. First time doing brakes with no reference on what to do and a few hours and blood, sweat and some tears (sweat in my eye :mwink:) my rear brakes grab again hardcore. just did some wearever gold pads on the rear and front. so not only am i happy that my rear isnt squealing like hell but with the money i saved im happy as i can be right now.

anybody out there hesitant on doing their own brakes i must say it isn't hard at all. just use common sense and take notes if you have to on what your doing. its quite easy.

me: +1
stealership: 0

ShadowEP3
09-02-2010, 05:05 PM
wherever you bought the brake pads: +$70

good job =)

Passenger
09-02-2010, 06:33 PM
should've made your own DIY

Anrasmor
09-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Good job man.

usedep3
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
should've made your own DIY

there's a great DIY that mugsythegr8 wrote up. i really miss that guy

rjmq06
09-03-2010, 12:41 AM
LOOOL
thats one of the basic maintenance of a car like change oil
dealership and shop they always jack your money

MBaG
09-03-2010, 01:43 AM
wherever you bought the brake pads: +$70

good job =)

plus $ for rotors. you really just unbolt 1 bolt, and unscrew a couple screws.

04EP3Hatch
09-03-2010, 04:05 AM
i did front and rear rotors and pads on a 300c at work, brembo blank rotors with ebc pads all bought from my dealerships parts department, total with labor... 1200$. i found that out, and i was like holllllly f*ck, so i went over to the detail department and washed the whole car and spiffed the outside up real nice to make this guy not feel so bad about being anally violated. car stops good though lol

.colin
09-03-2010, 04:10 AM
i did front and rear rotors and pads on a 300c at work, brembo blank rotors with ebc pads all bought from my dealerships parts department, total with labor... 1200$. i found that out, and i was like holllllly f*ck, so i went over to the detail department and washed the whole car and spiffed the outside up real nice to make this guy not feel so bad about being anally violated. car stops good though lol

lol way to be

BeaterEP
09-03-2010, 06:58 AM
OP: :thumbu: Good work man! You'd be surprised how many maintenance jobs are like that; seems really hard, but it's just basic mechanical common sense. Plus, now that you've got the first run under your belt, doing it again will be a lot easier!

04EP3Hatch: :thumbu: Fuck yeah, man. Glad to see someone out there has a conscience! LOL. I remember when all the dealerships would clean and detail your car when it came in for service, no matter what. Now, they just charge you more and give you less. :(
Keep bein' cool man!

hondaguy92129
09-03-2010, 10:38 AM

holy hell $1200?? I have the same setup and even after buying new calipers for the front I think I paid less than half of that...

GJ on the detail though, at least the cars shiny haha

4lugSLUG
09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
in all honesty i thought changin brakes was easier than doing an oil change. being a big guy crawling under the car and tryin to get that filter off was never an easy task. maybe if i had arms of a 12 year old school boy it would be alot better but my "business" arm is a tad big to fit in there.

BTW did the front ones today. No pulsating from the front and they were easier than the back. holy hell it feels good to not have to ask someone to do this anymore. if anyone on a budget needs pads, Wearever Golds bite good. went from 80 to 20 on the highway pretty good for cheapos.

ttttrigg3r
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
in all honesty i thought changin brakes was easier than doing an oil change. being a big guy crawling under the car and tryin to get that filter off was never an easy task. maybe if i had arms of a 12 year old school boy it would be alot better but my "business" arm is a tad big to fit in there.

BTW did the front ones today. No pulsating from the front and they were easier than the back. holy hell it feels good to not have to ask someone to do this anymore. if anyone on a budget needs pads, Wearever Golds bite good. went from 80 to 20 on the highway pretty good for cheapos.

I feel ya about the oil filter. Worst placement possible. It sits right above the axle and all cramp like.

OP: How do you know it was time to change out pads? My pads are still new because I bought my car from a dealer but I'd like to know what to look for when it's time to replace them.

jed_averill
09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
I'd like to know what to look for when it's time to replace them.

I do two things. Listen to your brakes if it squeals when you step on the break or it squeals even when you are not stepping on the break. Then I take a look at the pads through the wheels if they are getting thinner.

SLOW EP3
09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Good work OP, now you can call yourself a DIY'er. Did you replace the rotors too, or just the pads?

If you aren't sure about replacing the rotors, use a micrometer to measure the thickness. I don't have the Helms in front of me but there's a minimum thickness requirement (for example - new rotors are 23mm, replace at 18mm).

There's a few pointers I've learned over the years from doing brakes..

1. When you replace the rotor, use a wire brush/wheel to clean the hub free of rust before installing the new rotor.
2. Clean the pad slider/guides on the caliper using a wire brush and brake clean spray, make sure the pads slide freely without binding.
3. Inspect the caliper pin, pull out from the rubber boot and regrease if necessary. Again, make sure the pin slides in and out freely.
4. Thoroughly wipe down the new rotor with brake cleaner spray before reinstalling the caliper/pads.

The most important part is bedding the new pads correctly, I hope you did this too. I won't explain all this but read up on it.

SUSHI_NE1
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Great job man!... ever since I learned from a fellow ephatcher to do all my own suspension and brake work, I have saved sooooooOOOO much $$$. All I need to learn now and be confident about is building an engine... Then I will be truly happy. :-)

Thumbs up to you my friend!

siege911
09-06-2010, 09:37 PM
The most important part is bedding the new pads correctly, I hope you did this too. I won't explain all this but read up on it.

^^^ This.

I was going to say, I hope you didn't immediately go out and do an 80-20 on the fresh pads/rotors, that would be bad news for the rest of their life...

4lugSLUG
09-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Yes good sir/s, bedding was done. I'm still i awe from money I saved. I really can't believe Honda has those outlandish prices for something that simple.

rjmq06
09-07-2010, 09:49 AM
and also whenever you change your pads never forget to service your rotors (i forgot whats service called lolz)