PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-on k24a1, Must upgrade clutch?

AUTiger
09-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Okay, I have searched and studied for years. Maybe it's the stress of knowing that today I bent all my intake valves on the a3 and I am scrambling to toss together a k24 so I can minimize how long I have to rent a car for($220/wk).

I am ditching my skunk2 stage II cams(may have had nothing to do with the valves, I had terrible oil pressure and my TCT may have failed). I will just use my cai, prc intake manifold, KRRH, and 06 type-s midpipe, tuned on k-pro. The power will be right around my 180hp I was running for the last year, but tq will probably exceed the 140ish I had. Anyone think that the stock clutch will hold to 160lbs? Originally I was planning on swapping in a year and then adding a JRSC which would have needed a better clutch, but since I am under a time crunch I have to pay a shop to swap and I will not be modifying this motor maybe ever due to spending more money than doing the swap myself.

So, long story short, will a stock clutch with 60K miles handle a bolt-on k24a1?

superchargedk20
09-02-2010, 06:39 PM
yea

jri93
09-02-2010, 06:42 PM
iv been running a stock clutch with my bolt on k24a2 for over a year now with no problems

AUTiger
09-02-2010, 08:02 PM
sweet, I really should have not started a new thread, but it has been a long and shitty day. I am buying a 2003 47k mile k24a1 tomorrow for $750 and praying that the shop quotes me 800-1200 for the labor. I may beg him to let me drain the coolant, remove the intake manifold and header, remove all hoses and accessories so that all he has to do is drop it and swap it, then reinstall everything else.

makavelibranded
09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Yep youll be good, ive been boosted on stock clutch for 2 years, even learned to drive manual on this car.

lldiesel386ll
09-02-2010, 08:45 PM
still on a stock clutch-k24/k20. i'll be upgrading as soon as i get that supercharger at my doorstep and installed though--not sure if it can handle that much more over stock :mtongue:

ep-unit
09-02-2010, 10:04 PM
still on a stock clutch-k24/k20. i'll be upgrading as soon as i get that supercharger at my doorstep and installed though--not sure if it can handle that much more over stock :mtongue:

seriously you been on a stock clutch on a frank setup? Im surprised because people told me to upgrade to at least a stage 2 anyone care to give some info plz

mugen03
09-03-2010, 05:44 AM
k24a1 bolt on here, dropped it in at 52xxx now i have 85xxx on the odometer. if you can afford it might as well do it when you swap though but if not imo i dont think its a mandatory thing to do

lldiesel386ll
09-03-2010, 05:51 AM
seriously you been on a stock clutch on a frank setup? Im surprised because people told me to upgrade to at least a stage 2 anyone care to give some info plz

yessir. mind you i dont drive very aggressively, but that clutch has close to 80k miles on it right now--only 30k of that was on the k20a3 :thumbu:

Ba82Ep3
09-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Its all in how you drive. If you arent the type of person to dump the throttle between hard shifts, a stock a3 clutch will do you just fine.

I never had a problem with clamping force AFTER the shift, as in... shifting normally and then adding power to get up on the interstate. But i did slip between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears if i shifted fast and added power immediately after each shift, as in... it would slip until i lifted the throttle. After i added my CM stg4 clutch, i could chirp 4th with the same engine setup (just changing the clutch) on Dunlop DZ101's.

If i could do it over, i would probably go the a2 flywheel and clutch route. Maybe even a CRV clutch, if its different than the a3 clutch.