PDA

View Full Version : need some help with rear sway bar

good
09-05-2010, 02:33 PM
hey guys,

i need some help with installing the rear sway bar. So my situation is i screwed the 4 12mm screws to secure the bar to the body of the car, but 3 of the 4 broke off. The 14mm ones on the ends are okay they are secure. But what could I do to fix this? Could i take it a machine shop to just weld the bar to the body or could i somehow remove the ends of the screws from the threading? If the second option is possible how can i do this?

ep_hatcher_510
09-05-2010, 04:41 PM
The heads of the bolts broke right? if so just carefully drill out the bolts that broke, and replace them with new ones.

good
09-05-2010, 04:49 PM
thanks but i dont have a drill though. do you know how much it would cost to get it done by a machine shop?

sLiCk
09-05-2010, 05:44 PM
There are ways to extract the broken bolts. If you are not sure then bring it to a shop. Shouldn't cost much...

good
09-06-2010, 05:51 PM
ill probably take it to a shop thanks for the response

epcivicboy08
11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
To the OP, did you ever get this fixed?

I have the same problem, but I managed to get the broken screw out of the threadhole. However, the hole is now useless because no screw will stay in place. I've been driving without my ITR sway for some time and I miss it, haha.

Drew1d
11-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Those bolts are only supposed to be tightened to 16ft/lbs.

Rasy
11-13-2010, 01:09 PM
As a reminder, if you've installed a rear sway without compressing the control arms as if the car wasn't jacked at all, then you might as well remove the sway.

The bushings on the bar is supposed to be installed under load, from what I read, but the endlinks can be tightened without any load.

KaeDu
11-13-2010, 02:56 PM
As a reminder, if you've installed a rear sway without compressing the control arms as if the car wasn't jacked at all, then you might as well remove the sway.

The bushings on the bar is supposed to be installed under load, from what I read, but the endlinks can be tightened without any load.

^^Very True^^

I recently installed my Progress 24mm Rear adjustable bar. I installed it with no load. One day later I had noise like a clacking. It came loose. I tightened it slightly not good though (I crawled under the car on the road). I two days later more noise. I then tightened it good while under load. No sounds and very tight, flat, and less understeer.

EPSU3
11-13-2010, 05:10 PM
To jump on the band wagon I finally correctly installed my itr sway. Do it right or don't do it at all. Not as sloppy when installed under load.