PDA

View Full Version : think before you buy.

vennivettivecci
09-06-2010, 12:28 AM
so i've recently bought an 02 ep3. before i bought it he told me that the steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. told me it was a cheap fix so i took his word for it. been doing some research on google and i cant find anything. any help? should i just take it to a shop and have them look at it?

edit

ok did some more research and my new question is.....is it hard to change it yourself or should i take it to a shop? i did most of my work on my last car which was a dc4 but there were alot of diy threads for what i needed to do.

bluedemonep3
09-06-2010, 01:07 AM
all our cars came with that annoying steering rack issue. if i recall there is a diy for that.pretty simple

Ronnie
09-06-2010, 07:25 AM
there are DIY just about EVERY THING for our cars now.
not here ?
go to clubrsx.com , clubep3.com, hond-tech.com , civictype-r.co.uk , ....... and thousands more
- back to your question , i think thats not a big issue. if u have already fucked with dc4 then u should be fine.
- if u provide a lil more info about what you see and what is fucked on your steering rack then maybe me OR other members here can help, B/C i had the same problem and (I learned that in the hard way)

BTW : :welcome:

talonXracer
09-06-2010, 07:40 AM
The rack isnt that hard to remove and replace with the engine out, with it in it is a bear, but doable.

A new rack is rather expensive.

And it is time that you invest in the Helms manual.

BeaterEP
09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
You could try re-lubing the rack before you go ahead and replace the whole thing. There was a really good DIY on doing just that, but I think it might have been lost in the crash. Basically, if I recall, you just need to snip the metal straps that hold the rubber boot over the rack on either side, crank the wheel all the way to one side, slather with grease, crank the wheel to the other side, slather with grease, and then use zip ties to re-secure the boots.

vennivettivecci
09-06-2010, 11:49 PM
thank you everyone for all your replies i will take all your suggestions under consideration and update after i fix the problem (:

jofus228
09-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I remember someone spraying the rack with white lithium grease, after pulling back the boots. Also works if your cmc squeaks.

whatisthis
09-07-2010, 09:04 AM
i've rebuilt like 4-5 of them. it's the cheapest way to do it by far. like talon said though, they suck to pull out of the car.

STEVENMUNERA
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
well i dont know about "rebuilding it your self" this is an eps system meaning its electrical power steering . i had that squeek noise like the bottom member said i sprayed the shit out of the bushings with lithium grease or silicone lubricant it will go away if oyu drop your car the tie rod ends are at a more elevated angle thus putting more load on the bushings just lube it youll be good

whatisthis
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
well i dont know about "rebuilding it your self" this is an eps system meaning its electrical power steering . i had that squeek noise like the bottom member said i sprayed the shit out of the bushings with lithium grease or silicone lubricant it will go away if oyu drop your car the tie rod ends are at a more elevated angle thus putting more load on the bushings just lube it youll be good
not true. you have the cause down, but that is not a fix. spraying lube is simply a bandaid. eps doesn't mean complicated. it's basically a manual rack with an electric motor attached to it. aside form all that, if you're getting pops or creaks you have a worn out guide in the rack. very rarely do those noises require the replacement of the whole rack. rebuilding will be the most cost effective option every time.

STEVENMUNERA
09-08-2010, 06:59 AM
were would you buy the parts honda just sells the assembly though, unless you put after market garbage on it , and lube is no bandaid dry bushings are a normal thing specially in dry weather low humidity and normal wear , and there is honda bulletin on it in case you didnt know already were it tells you to spray the bushings