PDA

View Full Version : Routing of USB Cord

CanuckEP
09-06-2010, 01:23 PM
hey everyone

I have been looking around for a bit on EP... cant seem to find what im looking for.

anyways, i want to run a USB cord from the back of my headunit down to and under the cupholder so i can toss my external hard drive/old ipod there. Can anyone give me a decent idea of how to nicely do this?

Or is glovebox just way easier? If you guys recommend i suppose I will move to that. Either way I am trying to find guidance before I proceed with taking stuff apart.

the USB cord is permanently attached to the HU which restricts routing mobility.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. the head unit is a mp642U from kenwood; if that matters

J Mo
09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
hey there, i had a thread about something similar here (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55900-Blitzsafe-iPod-Interface-plugs-directly-to-OEM-radio) -- but mine is an iPod interface for the stock radio unit

i did route mine to the cupholder area, but note that i took the easy way out and just tucked it underneath the center console's sides (it can be lifted enough to stick the cable there) -- i wont elaborate too much here because it will just be redundant so check out the thread

but anyway, a reputable someone did mention that he in fact drilled a hole through the console, but he had to take it apart -- other members did chime in that the console is not difficult to remove and reinstall -- and by console i do mean the cupholder assembly thingy

i hope this helps you out -- i'll assume that you know how to take apart the dash trims so you can access your headunit's behind

lbk02si
09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Yup, that's what I did!

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
09-06-2010, 04:41 PM
I did the same thing pull of the back part of the center console that covers the e-break. There are 2 screws on the bottom that hold it in place. The you can get toe back part of the center where the cup holders are and run your wiring there.

introvert
09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
I went the glovebox route. Don't like the sight of cables anywhere, or leaving stuff in plain sight. I just toss an ipod or nano in and leave it there. Once in a long while if I get the urge for pandora I'll hook up my iphone, but I rarely do that.

Chad
09-07-2010, 05:56 AM
I did the same thing pull of the back part of the center console that covers the e-break. There are 2 screws on the bottom that hold it in place. The you can get toe back part of the center where the cup holders are and run your wiring there.

Exactly what I did, I popped a hole in the front of the assembly because I routed some power, audio connections and data in there. There's a lot of shit going on in that cubby in my car and it's all hidden, I love that little slice of heaven.