PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help

si03
09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Hello all....

Recently bought 03 EP3 with 61k on it and the current stock suspension is pretty crappy for winding roads at high speeds + it's old, so it def needs a replacement.

I have been digging around forums on recommendations and I stumbled upon these:

. Skunk2 pro s coilovers
. Mugen sport suspension kit (leaning more towards this one)
. Raceland full coilover kit

What would you EP3 owners suggest.
I am looking for mostly street handling with maybe some track day (maybe).
What is needed other then the kits listed above for a reliable complete set up that would require little to no maintenance.
Mind you that I'm also looking to drop my ride about 1'' or so.
I currently have 16's but looking to upgrade size of wheels to 17's.

I have never worked on a vehicle and this would be my first time with myself along with help doing all the work :thumbu: .

Thanks for all reply's.

civicSIracer
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
heard skunk2 is trash. and raceland is ghetto chinese shit. long story. id say mugen or HFP is you only want an inch or so

ep_hatcher_510
09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Mugen SS, one of the best choices and is a complete package, so just unbolt the old suspension and put this one in, easy.

SUSHI_NE1
09-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Well... I have the Skunk Pro S with a stiffer front spring rate and I like it. I think it really all depends on your overall budget. If you go skunk or the "chineese shit" I don't think you will be disappointed with what you get for the $$$... and if you go with something more stock like HFP or Mugen... well... you won't have something too aggressive but will do the job. As well as not losing that stock feel.

si03
09-06-2010, 04:34 PM
As far as riding in comfort go's. I definitely need it since this will be my DD, so I am trying to stay as close as possible to stock comfort, but If a little stiffer is the only way then I have no problem.
Anyone know how the Mugen suspension handles on hard cornering ?
Mainly I know this is weird but I'm trying to keep up (or at least try) to be able to keep up on cornering with my buddy's M3. Is this at all possible with our EP3's. If so what is recommended other then suspension upgrade.

Also what rim+wheel sizes would be recommended for better "faster" cornering speeds.

"Supe" Noob here lol, sorry for the million questions.

si03
09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Well... I have the Skunk Pro S with a stiffer front spring rate and I like it. I think it really all depends on your overall budget. If you go skunk or the "chineese shit" I don't think you will be disappointed with what you get for the $$$... and if you go with something more stock like HFP or Mugen... well... you won't have something too aggressive but will do the job. As well as not losing that stock feel.

What do you mean by " you won't have something too aggressiv but will do the job ?

Thanks

makavelibranded
09-06-2010, 04:55 PM
As far as riding in comfort go's. I definitely need it since this will be my DD, so I am trying to stay as close as possible to stock comfort, but If a little stiffer is the only way then I have no problem.
Mainly I know this is weird but I'm trying to keep up (or at least try) to be able to keep up on cornering with my buddy's M3. Is this at all possible with our EP3's. If so what is recommended other then suspension upgrade.

Also what rim+wheel sizes would be recommended for better "faster" cornering speeds.

It'll take work but yes you can keep up with your buddy. The number 1 thing youll need is tires. I never got a chance to get them but the Dunlop Starspecs are the current #1 tire right now and it has really good wet grip, side note they dont last long.

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=684339 heres a list of spring rates,.. and #2 rule dont go below an inch lowering wise if you want it to handle good.

Not to refer you to another site(cause this site is amazing) but heres a link to educate yourself on suspension ideas and whatnot
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=573805
theres quite a few good suspension reads on clubep3

si03
09-06-2010, 05:04 PM
It'll take work but yes you can keep up with your buddy. The number 1 thing youll need is tires. I never got a chance to get them but the Dunlop Starspecs are the current #1 tire right now and it has really good wet grip, side note they dont last long.

http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=684339 heres a list of spring rates,.. and #2 rule dont go below an inch lowering wise if you want it to handle good.

Not to refer you to another site(cause this site is amazing) but heres a link to educate yourself on suspension ideas and whatnot
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=573805
theres quite a few good suspension reads on clubep3

Cool thanks I will def look into the links you posted.
As far as tire go's for right now. I'm looking for a good All season tires since im from NE Snow is right arround the corner. Krum!

BeaterEP
09-06-2010, 05:31 PM
In TX myself, but I know a lot of the guys up north are running two sets of wheels, one winter and one rest of the year, with appropriate tires on each. It's more money, but might be your best bet, for safety's sake if nothing else.

si03
09-06-2010, 05:39 PM
In TX myself, but I know a lot of the guys up north are running two sets of wheels, one winter and one rest of the year, with appropriate tires on each. It's more money, but might be your best bet, for safety's sake if nothing else.

I have been contamplating on 2 sets like you said.
What do you think about these: Falken Azenis, A buddy of mine used to have them. He loved them for all season tires but never had it in snow since his car was stolen before he had the chance.

ep_hatcher_510
09-06-2010, 08:19 PM

The mugen ss is still a street type suspension, mugen tuned it to fit this chassis to be a bit more aggressive. Running the widest and stickest tire you can will give you some good results, after that if you feel the car is still not the way you want it you can try upping the rear anti roll bar. Keep in mind that the car will only be as good as the driver.

whatisthis
09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
the best non-coilover, basic, solid setup i've found yet without buying koni's is..... (and i've worked with alot of different shit)......... tociko d-specs, eibach prokit springs, energy suspension front lca bushings, and at the very least an oem rsx type s rear sway bar. i'm running a very similar setup for now without a camber kit (front or rear) and 215/50/17 tires and it's about as sure footed as it gets for that price. the only thing i can recommend ontop of that is my front bumpstops that remain a minor secret.

si03
09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
In my research ive come across mugen ss as beeing reliable and a big increse in handling over stocks. Lets say that I wanted to go a step or two above the Mugen SS.
I'm not looking to upgrade ASAP, but Definetely in the near future. I have the $$ for the mugens now but if there's something better out there I could always save up a lil more : -) .

Thanks guys..

makavelibranded
09-07-2010, 05:49 PM
how much are the mugens?

I just ordered the Buddyclub Race Specs For $1350

si03
09-08-2010, 06:34 AM
how much are the mugens?

I just ordered the Buddyclub Race Specs For $1350

Best price so far $1250/ new. I wonder how much they'll hit me for shipping.