PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck Hits Hard. Please Read!

ep3steez
09-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Well after finally completing my boost build and just as school is starting, bad luck hits me. Pulling into my driveway recently, my headlights randomly stopped working and only my high beams would turn on. Soon after, my dash lights stop working, as well as my tail lights and brake lights. I checked all the fuses (under hood/under dash) visually and they were all good expect for the horn, which I replaced. Then after testing them with a volt meter, I found that very little fuses were receiving power. My turning signals, inside overhead light, radio, reverse lights, hazards, dash icons, power locks and power windows all work. My high beams work as well, except now they flash like turning signals. I'm guessing I fried a harness or melted a wire. Any thoughts ephatch?

ep3steez
09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
someone wanna throw out an opinion???

msully93
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
sounds like a start to a bad alternator maybe? but you could be right by it just being a harness. check all you hareness' to the main areas that need fixed and go from there. start small and work your way big, cuz it seems to work better that way and you save a TONNN of money in the long run

ep3colin
09-08-2010, 08:01 PM
not to long ago i spun out on the freeway late night avoiding some type of small animal

sorry to hear about the badluck, however i hope you have goodluck at getting it repaired for a decent price!

ep3steez
09-21-2010, 05:47 PM
IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE WITH ELECTRICAL AUTOMOTIVE PROBLEMS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RESPOND WITH AN OPINION.

UPDATE: After taking out my depo projectors and conversion harnesses, I've made some progress. The problems left now are my brake lights not working, if i turn my high beams on a fuse blows causing my headlights to go out and i believe if i push my horn a fuse blows. I've taken 2 fuses out so that they do not constantly blow. My third brake light on my ctr rep wing is a prime suspect of the cause, but let me know if anyone has any helpful knowledge on this problem. Thanks in advance.

Anrasmor
09-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Sounds like something might be pinched somewhere.

ep3steez
09-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Sounds like something might be pinched somewhere.

Think I should try pulling up the plastic covers along where the door closes and check the wires in there? Pretty much gut some things out the car so I can clearly see the wires I need to check.

ImportCustomx
09-22-2010, 07:37 AM
check every wire that you touched. check all connections. wire could be pinched or lightly sliced and grounding itself out when it touches metal.

check everywire that you have modified,taped,soldered etc

Grookes
09-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Might be your switch. I had to get some melted wires and new switch put in earlier this year to get my low-beams to work again. Your problem sounds a bit more extreme, though.

AUTiger
09-22-2010, 01:58 PM
pull the cover on the steering column and check the wires that go into clips. I lost my headlights a while back while driving and only my high beams work. I still drive with only the high beams, they are bright, but not as bright as they should be. I had melted the wires and the connector and from time to time the wire will touch what it is suppose to and the low beams will work, then once it gets hot again they go out.

jlong21
09-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I would check any wiring that you have done to lights,speakers, etc. and see if anything is grounding out to cause fuses to blow.

ep3steez
09-22-2010, 07:58 PM
check every wire that you touched. check all connections. wire could be pinched or lightly sliced and grounding itself out when it touches metal.

check everywire that you have modified,taped,soldered etc
This could be a long process

ep3steez
09-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gunna start checking wires. I just want my brake lights so I can actually drive somewhere.

bluedemonep3
09-22-2010, 10:41 PM
check in the steering column, i had the same problem with my headlights, found a relay making contact with some wires which was making the high beams stay on.

sleepy ep3
09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Might be your switch. I had to get some melted wires and new switch put in earlier this year to get my low-beams to work again. Your problem sounds a bit more extreme, though.

Didn't know they sold melted wires. Where can I buy a set? -_-

ep3steez
09-23-2010, 09:36 PM
I BELIEVE I FOUND THE PROBLEM! Since my car just sits in the garage now I decided to put my test pipe on. While doing this, I look up under my car to see a destroyed/melted group of wires next to where my down pipe connects to the test pipe. I ran open downpipe for a while and this had to of be the cause. I'm gunna bring it back to a mechanic who is a friend of mine and have him take a look at it. If simple splicing and reconnecting wires fixes this, I'm will be the happiest man alive. Thanks for all the replys!

Grookes
09-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Didn't know they sold melted wires. Where can I buy a set? -_-

Yeah, well, written hastily, I guess. "melted wires replaced..." You get the idea.