PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Exahust shopping!!

04EpNewb
09-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a EP3 newb as you can see my screen name says it all. I just bought the car recently and has a Cold air intake that's about it.

I've been browsing around for some cat back exhaust systems and have come across a few well priced ones such as Magna flow and Megan racing the dual tip ones. I'm looking for an exahust that's really deep in tone and direct bolt on types. I'm clue less when shoping for aftermarket parts. please help me. i dont want anything tooo loud just deep in sound.

Also is the direct bolt on megan racing header 4-2-1 good? was thinkin of just chaging out the stock one. i dont want to get a header that eliminates the cata converter... help please!! i'm a newb

04EpNewb
09-08-2010, 01:28 AM
/bump! need help from the ep3 gurus!! another question. Mugen exhaust....says only fits jdm ctr... how would i go about trying to put one on my usdm ep3? would i need to install a diff manifold? does a dc5 fit into the usdm ep3s? dammit i'm such a nooob help!

BeaterEP
09-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Kinda hard to give advice. Your best bet is to dig around in some of the older threads, look up people's ideas on the various exhausts they've gotten over the years. I can't speak to any of the aftermarket stuff personally, but I'm running the `05 Type-S exhaust.
Basically, the Type-S exhaust will bolt right up, but there are some differences. The first important one is inner diameter; the EP3 OEM exhaust has an inner diameter of something like 1.68"-1.75" (don't remember exactly, but it's small :mbiggrin:). The Type-S exhaust (`05+) is 2.25" inner diameter, so it's good for opening up your exhaust.
Length differences are where everyone gets confused; the EP3 and DC5 exhaust components are different lengths, so you can't just swap one piece straight in from the DC5. You'll need the DC5 exhaust manifold (header), downpipe/catalytic converter, and midpipe. If you try to just run the header and cat, you'll be too long and will have to cut and weld the EP3's midpipe.
The best way to do it, if that's the setup you want, will be to swap in the header/cat/midpipe from the DC5. This will bolt-in perfectly to the engine and the EP3's muffler. The stock EP3 muffler is actually good up to about 200-250 horsepower without creating any restrictions, so there's no need to replace it, if you don't really want to.
Here's a couple of good reference threads on the Type-S exhaust.
Just post up if you've got any more questions! :thumbu:
Oh, one more thing: switching to a wider diameter exhaust will likely detract from your low-end power. Your mid- and high-end will pull harder, but low-end pull will probably drop a little bit. I remedied that with a different intake, Comptech Icebox. Brought my low-end pull back pretty well.
LMK what else you're thinking about! I'll help with whatever I can.

LINK:Type-S Exhaust: Install thread (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?49857-DIY-Intalling-complete-exhaust.)
LINK:Type-S Exhaust: Small Parts Reference thread (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?48886-complete-type-s-exhaust.-minor-parts-list)

EP3Casas
09-08-2010, 09:01 AM
im runnning a DC RH with magna flow. its LOUD. any race header mated with a magnaflow will b ridiculously loud.

04EpNewb
09-09-2010, 01:44 AM
yo beaterep! is the buddy club pro spec III good? does it give more pull on low to mid? can you feel it with stock ecu? or do i need a kpro once i put in these aftermarket parts.. help me master ep jedi!!

ep3colin
09-09-2010, 01:47 AM
kpro will take advantage of your bolt ons but is not completely necessary but always recommended

T_Virus
09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
yo beaterep! is the buddy club pro spec III good? does it give more pull on low to mid? can you feel it with stock ecu? or do i need a kpro once i put in these aftermarket parts.. help me master ep jedi!!

buddy club pro spec III is a good exhaust bad a choice if you don't want anything loud.

04EpNewb
09-09-2010, 03:41 PM
doesnt the silecner bring the sound down alot? with the buddy club.. btw how about a toda exhaust? is todas loud? looked it up was wondering if it'll fit the usdm ep3 and if it's a direct bolt on... dam so many exhaust choices

what i'm looking for
-deep in tone
-not outrageously loud
-increase low to mid power
-bolt ons w/o eliminating any cat convert
-pairs with a header that doesnt need to remove the cat convert

more inputs please!!

acu210
09-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Apex'i WS2
not loud
sounds great when aggressively driving