PDA

View Full Version : My Si is a lemon??

OriginalName52
12-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Hey all,

I have found that running my car for 4 or more hours with the radio on will generally result in:
1. My radio getting so hot it's uncomfortable to touch
2. My radio only receiving 1 of my presets, EVERYTHING else static, until I cyle through the AM-FM-FM run.

Today, turned on my car and the engine light is on. Now, it's possible that the oil change I just had done wasn't done properly I suppose? Although I'm really not sure what they could have fscked up to cause that but...

Has anyone else had a series of minor issues with their Si? It's a 2002.

THanks,

-O

Beachya
12-11-2002, 06:35 PM
a few members have had probs with their stock radio/ cd but not sure if it's the same as yours...I had a problem with running a the cd player for about 1 1/2 hours (engine not running) then the speakers sounded like they were blown and then the car just shut off....tried to start it but the engine wouldnt even attempt to turn over, I was however able to get the cd out and it was too hot to handle. after about 15 minutes of letting it set finally got it started. But yeah on long road trips i notice the radio does get a bit warmer than it should....gotta get this checked out!!

so you're not the only one with radio probs, but as for the other stuff....not sure, good luck!

David

IceD out N CALI
12-11-2002, 06:50 PM
check engine light is associated with the emissions equipment-should definitely get that checked out. far as the radio, i h avent had any probs with it yet

George Knighton
12-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Haven't had the first problem with mine.

Please do keep us posted on what the CEL turns out to be, though.

OriginalName52
12-11-2002, 08:05 PM
I have actually called the dealer about my radio, they claim they've never heard of the problem and asked me to bring it in so they can take care of it. I'll keep you posted as to what I find out with both issues.

-O

goy091
12-12-2002, 01:52 AM
well my factory radio/cd player didnt work properly, it wouldnt play ANY CDs. took it in and they replaced it no questions asked. you shud take it to the dealer and have them replace it. WARRANTY IS GOOD :D :D

ssvr6
12-12-2002, 05:08 AM
How can you call 1 problem a "lemon"? A lemon is if this problem goes on and on without the dealer being able to fix it.

This is fixable I'm sure.

Steve

OriginalName52
12-12-2002, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
How can you call 1 problem a "lemon"? A lemon is if this problem goes on and on without the dealer being able to fix it.

This is fixable I'm sure.

Steve

I've had lemon defined to me as a car that continually had problems crop up :eek: I was just being dramatic :p

MYEP3
12-12-2002, 03:37 PM
If your check engine light comes on check ur gas cap. After refueling if you dont lock the cap down at least 3 clicks it may trigger the check engine light. I was on my was back from L.A. and when I merged my light came on. My friend put the gas in and forgot to turn it enough. Just give it acouple clicks and reset your ECU by unplugging the ground to ur bat. Hope this helps.:D

jaydub
12-12-2002, 03:44 PM
http://www.stephaniepiro.com/images/DramaQueen.jpg

:D Seriously, that's what our warranty is for.

OriginalName52
12-17-2002, 08:25 PM
yay I have my car back :)

Result of the CEL:
"SELF TEST CODE P1457"
REPLACED EVAP VENT VALVE / RESET SYSTEM OK

As for my radio issue:
CUST STATES AFTER 4 HOURS OF USE RADIO STATIONS BECOME
COMPLETE STATIC AND RADIO HOT TO TOUCH
TESTED RADIO OPERATION NORMAL WHEN CHECKED
COULD NOT DUPLICATE CONCERN

yeah no kidding, I told you it has to be on for hours :P :P

They're advice was to reproduce the problem, and then bring the car in while it is having the issue. Service dept. closes at 5, so should I skip out of work 6 hours early and drive my car a few hours to try to reproduce it? Asses.

-O

IceD out N CALI
12-17-2002, 08:43 PM
at least the check engine light was taken care of easily, kinda sucks about the radio though

K20A3
12-18-2002, 08:38 AM
I had CEL with code 1457 and dealer ordered and replaced two parts for fuel system. No problems again with CEL.

And...

My radio also will stop working after it is on for long periods of time. After 1 1/2 to 2 hours the reception on FM and AM will not work. Static only. If you try to tune it will go in steps of .2 for example 105.7, 105.9, 106.1 etc but will not find any stations.
Turning the radio off and on a couple of times will fix the problem.

Dealer could not duplicate the problem, (no shit, they do not duplicate it because they do not drive car for two hours!) but is going to replace the radio if it happens again.

Weird having the same issues. My EP is Silver, is yours Silver?

K20A3
12-18-2002, 08:45 AM
I had CEL with code 1457 and dealer ordered and replaced two parts for fuel system. No problems again with CEL.

And...

My radio also will stop working after it is on for long periods of time. After 1 1/2 to 2 hours the reception on FM and AM will not work. Static only. If you try to tune it will go in steps of .2 for example 105.7, 105.9, 106.1 etc but will not find any stations.
Turning the radio off and on a couple of times will fix the problem.

Dealer could not duplicate the problem, (no shit, they do not duplicate it because they do not drive car for two hours!) but is going to replace the radio if it happens again.

Weird having the same issues. My EP is Silver, is yours Silver?

jaydub
12-18-2002, 08:58 AM
Any device like a CD player will generate heat from normal use. You have to figure, there is a mechanism spinning at high RPM inside there, so I'm not terribly surprised it's getting hot. I wouldn't say that's "lemon-worthy" issue though.

BTW, just because they didn't focus on your car for 6 hours doesn't make them asses, they obviously were checking to see whether it heated up immediately, which would signal a real problem.

bsdbytes
12-18-2002, 09:05 AM
True, a car stereo will get hot after prolonged use, but it should still function. None of the stereos I've used have had a time limit. I think the dealer just blew him off.

Mike

jaydub
12-18-2002, 09:10 AM
Well my Pioneer DEH-P9200R would shut off after about 5-6 hours, and read "heat" on the display. Part of the problem is that there's noplace for the heat to escape from the head unit. If they can't reproduce the problem, should they sit in the car for six hours until it happens? Won't happen. At ANY dealership.

X 2KS2K
12-18-2002, 09:10 AM
my cd player shut down after about 4 hours of constant use... it was pretty cool outside at the time and i had the vents on. my fm radio still worked fine though. i tried my cd player intermitently for about an hour and it finally started working again. when it shut down, the display just flashed "HOT" whenever i attempted to play a cd.

K20A3
12-18-2002, 09:28 AM
BTW, just because they didn't focus on your car for 6 hours doesn't make them asses, they obviously were checking to see whether it heated up immediately, which would signal a real problem.
If they can't reproduce the problem, should they sit in the car for six hours until it happens? Won't happen. At ANY dealership

Jay

It is reasonable to expect replacement of a defective radio as part of the warranty. I would not expect nor would I want the dealership to drive my car around for 2 hours or 6 hours, but if the radio is defective and problem only occurs after extended usage the radio should be replaced based on customer information.

I'm happy with the fact that if the problem occurs again on my Si the radio will be replaced no questions asked.

When you tell someone a problem only occurs after several hours and then the service person comes back and says "can't duplicate it, can't fix it" you would be PO'd. Thankfully the dealership that services my EP does not function this way.

Perhaps the dealership Original uses are asses.

jaydub
12-18-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by K20A3

if the radio is defective and problem only occurs after extended usage the radio should be replaced based on customer information.
I agree 110%. I mean, who would go in to get their stereo replaced just for the hell of it?! All I was saying is that it's not realistic to assume the dealership would spend an extended amount of time trying to reproduce the problem, but then again it's not even the the type of problem that should have to be reproduced...

Who knows, perhaps they just want to be strict about it, in which case I'd try another dealership. If you still haven't had the problem solved, call Honda of America.

OriginalName52
12-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Any device like a CD player will generate heat from normal use. You have to figure, there is a mechanism spinning at high RPM inside there, so I'm not terribly surprised it's getting hot. I wouldn't say that's "lemon-worthy" issue though.

Sure, but I can't remember the last time I couldn't hold my discman because it was too hot. Plus it's just the radio I was using, not the CD player. And, as I said earlier, I was just being dramatic when I said it's a lemon. :confused:

No one said that they had to focus on it for 6 hours, but if I tell you that your heart will speed up to a dangerous pace after dancing for 4 hours, and you dance for 10 minutes and tell me no it doesn't, I wouldn't consider you to have checked out my theory. You don't think that having a non-functioning radio is a problem?

Sorry if this reply was a little caustic, but I just disagree with almost everything you said.

-O

OriginalName52
12-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by OriginalName52

Sure, but I can't remember the last time I couldn't hold my discman because it was too hot. Plus it's just the radio I was using, not the CD player. And, as I said earlier, I was just being dramatic when I said it's a lemon. :confused:

No one said that they had to focus on it for 6 hours, but if I tell you that your heart will speed up to a dangerous pace after dancing for 4 hours, and you dance for 10 minutes and tell me no it doesn't, I wouldn't consider you to have checked out my theory. You don't think that having a non-functioning radio is a problem?

Sorry if this reply was a little caustic, but I just disagree with almost everything you said.

-O

Or i could notice there is a second page of responses and that people had already addressed some of my points. :*
Either way. :p

-O

By the by, the EP is white

jo3y
02-24-2003, 08:27 PM
maybe this is why the stock radio was removed within 24 hours of my ownership of the EP and replaced with a real unit with some power :D

TravisEP3
02-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by OriginalName52

Or i could notice there is a second page of responses and that people had already addressed some of my points. :*
Either way. :p

-O

By the by, the EP is white

Heh, I love this post. Good catch on yourself :) Good luck with your radio issues bud. If nothing else just get an aftermarket radio to replace the stock one. The stock speakers sound better w/ an aftermarket HU also.

speedjunkiez
03-02-2003, 01:50 PM
p1456 0r p1457 is all gass cap related. i see them all the time at work. when you leave your gas cap loose i doesnt allow your gas tank to pressurize

speedjunkiez
03-02-2003, 01:50 PM
p1456 0r p1457 is all gass cap related. i see them all the time at work. when you leave your gas cap loose i doesnt allow your gas tank to pressurize.so that will cause a cel

SilverSi2002
04-01-2003, 05:58 PM
I've had my 2002 Si for a month, and I'm taking the car back for the second time in a few weeks to check out the "check engine light" --- I think they just reset the light last time and hoped it woudn't come back.. but IIIIttttt's Baaaaacck! I am going to press them to really replace some of the fuel vent parts, since that seems to have been the cure for others here.

Any other ideas on this dopey engine light thing?