PDA

View Full Version : CC Stage 4 too much for a bolt-on k24a1

AUTiger
09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Normally I would agree that a stage 4 is overkill for a k24a1 with prc intake manifold, injen 3in intake, krrh, 06 type-s midpipe and stock axelback, tuned on k-pro. But I really hope to supercharge it somewhere down the line and add meth or nitrous so it would be worthwhile but that could be a long time away. Only reason I may go stage 4 is that the shop my car is at right now, the owner bought a stage 4 for his car a while ago and never installed it so he has it on hand and might be a good deal. I would just hate to put in an exedy oe replacement and then get stuck having to replace the clutch later on. If I get the stage 4 then I will probably put in a CC lightweight flywheel as well since it is cheaper than a new type-s flywheel and I wouldn't need to pay for it to be resurfaced.

So, how irritated would I be driving a 170-180hp car with hopefully 160lbs of tq on a stage 4 clutch and either a lightweight flywheel or a used type-s flywheel. I will be using that washer trick that Talon posted regardless.

Ba82Ep3
09-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I used a ClutchMasters stg4 4puck and loved it... but the pedal feel is much softer than a CC setup.

EP3Casas
09-09-2010, 12:05 AM
im rockin a cc stg4 on a primarily stock a3. i got it cause i was going to boost but had some issues arise and had to sell my kit.

not a bad clutch at all grabs hard and not bad at all for a dd

AUTiger
09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
good deal, I would just pick up a CC stage II and then swap to a stage 4 disk later on, but I don't want to go through the hassle. That and I may be able to get the stage 4 for less money.

Ba82Ep3
09-09-2010, 08:48 AM
I dont know what CC clutch disc materials are, but my flywheel was wrecked after the ClutchMasters stg4 got hold of it. I wanted to go with a twin disc clutch and twin kevlar discs to sacrifice some bite you get with cerametallics and hopefully get a little more life out of the components. I got a little more than 30k miles on that single disc clutch... which aint bad considering i beat the piss out of it... but it aint cheap to replace.

Do you know what the CC disc material is?

dkid15
09-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I have the stage 4 6 puck with Competition 8.8lb flywheel. ITs a PIA to drive around due to the flywheel. Clutch isnt to bad at all but sometimes if your off your game you rev up a little bit on the get go lol. Stick to the type-r flywheel at lightest.

AUTiger
09-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I will definitely be putting in a new clutch and probably sticking with a resurfaced a2 flywheel. Reason being I don't want a lightweight flywheel is because I want to supercharge at some point and research has told me to stick with the heavier fly. I am just waiting on the mechanic to give me a price he wants for the stage 4 clutch and if it is the same or more than what our vendor Team XXX quoted me for, then I will probably just go with the stage II.

Heitzke
09-09-2010, 12:37 PM
It's not too much at all. I've been DD'ing it (mostly) for a year and a half now. Only time it really sucked was when I was in line at IA for like 2 hours.

AUTiger
09-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Well, I gave in and told the mechanic I would buy the CC stage 4. It's $340, not what I was hoping to pay, but not terrible and I will be getting a resurfaced a2 flywheel. He said that I should toss in some 550cc injectors and put nitrous on it now since I hope to do it with a jrsc down the road, haha. But I don't want the bottle til I see what it does i/rh/e/ street tuned and then tuned with a jrsc in a year or two.