PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my ep??!?

GoldMember
09-08-2010, 09:05 AM
So when I start the car. It sounds like it's vibrating/chattering coming from the left side of the engine bay where all the pulleys and such are. I wd40'd all the pulleys/tensioners. And it's still chattering! On another note my a/c cuts in and out numerous times while driving to 1 destination. When I turn the a/c ON it chatters even more! My compressor may be on it's last leg? I've got 72,000 miles greedy turbo kit. Es motormounts.

Please help me on these 2 problems..

oldschoolimport
09-08-2010, 09:07 AM
1. Sounds like a possible engine mount issue

2. The A/C system needs to be recharged

GoldMember
09-08-2010, 09:12 AM
From reading posts similar to mine by searching. Would you think it would be a a timing chain issue? And/or bent valves?

oldschoolimport
09-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Maybe a broken timing chain tensioner. Start out simple, and check the mounts (all bolts and bushings), then belted accessories, then timing chain issues.

GoldMember
09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Oldschoolimporti think you may be on to something here! Question would I mess up more things from driving it around in it's condition?

codyep3
09-08-2010, 10:23 AM
It just sounds like the tensioner. turn the car on, and put it in neutral. Then pull in the clutch, if it goes quieter, then its just clutch chatter, which is normal

T_Virus
09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
wow...goldmember, I haven't seen you on here for so long...

Hope you can get it fix.

jgn6848
09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
im pretty sure your ac compressor clutch is seizing. u can bypass ac pulley by running smaller belt or ......go thru the hell of evacuating and vacuuming ac, changing ac drier and compressor......then recharging entire system

ep3demon
09-09-2010, 03:50 AM
exactly what happened to my car ima go replace it all

definitely sound like the compressor clutch doing the same thing my car is doing.

whatisthis
09-09-2010, 01:46 PM
it's most likely not a/c related. first of all, the a/c is supposed to cycle like that. second of all the ecu will not engage the a/c compressor clutch until after startup once everything normalizes. so start with an inspection of the mounts. you can even go so far as to take the belt off and start the car to see if that eliminates the issue. i wouldn't run it too long. if your problem does happen to be related to the chain tensioner and is causing chain slap then get it fixed. if you don't there is a very high likelihood that if the tensioner fails it will allow the cams to roll too far forward and bend your intake valves.

ep-unit
09-09-2010, 11:42 PM
hope ur problem gets fixed, my buddy had a similar sound too but ending up being the ac so we just installed a 52 inch to bypass the ac, hope it isnt ur tensioner, keep us updated. I've read that the tensioner fails only when aftermarket cams and springs are installed.

GoldMember
09-10-2010, 12:50 PM
It was my a/c compressor clutch. It sounded like hell! Thanks everyone for their input! Just a heads up if you start the car and it starts chattering with or WITHOUT the a/c being on!

ImportCustomx
09-10-2010, 01:51 PM
just an FYI

WD40 is not a lubricant...its a cleaner and a temp lube. WD40 is good for parts that have moisture in them..spray that in cleans em out..lubes a teeny bit..but a nice white lithium or silicon spray will actually provide proper lube.

I used to see this all the time with skateboards. kids would wd40 their bearings..a month or 2 later the bearings inside the races were shot to shit and virbration..spin the wheel and it made a hissing noise and only spun like 8 revolutions..it wore out the balls and bearings becuase it didnt have proper lubrication.

wd40 is good..but not a good perm lubricant.