PDA

View Full Version : Turbo SI Dyno

importhonda
12-11-2002, 06:30 PM
Saw the Dyno for Area 51's turbo SI. Was peaking at 205 hp at 5-6lbs. They said they were swaping out the exhaust wheel for a bigger one and could squeeze a little more power out of that same boost. This is all without lag and they say it runs like it's NA

Curious to see other companies (DRAG) start develpoing turbos for our cars

IceD out N CALI
12-11-2002, 07:17 PM
205hp not too shabby:)

jason
12-11-2002, 08:20 PM
why dont you do us all a favor and post the web site you saw this on if you saw it on the internet!

ssvr6
12-11-2002, 09:07 PM
205hp? That sucks IMO.

Steve

Whooopasss
12-11-2002, 09:25 PM
Swapping the exhaust wheel?? (Turbine) you mean the compressor side right?? 205 does suck.. I am hoping atleast 240 HP when I'm done.. what are they using? T3? or T3/T4? post the link..

civic hatch boi
12-11-2002, 09:30 PM
im hoping for 250WHP!!! so i can whip some wrx's! and all the new cars that are going to come out.. we'll show them how to really turbo a car..

!@#$%
12-11-2002, 09:40 PM
205 is nothing.....i 240-250 is more like it. whats the point of having low compression then? push some BOOST!

importhonda
12-11-2002, 10:06 PM
this was a protoype setup. The goal was to have zero lag. Anyone can toss a bigger turbo on there and make shit loads of power. They has an awsome power curve with this setup... It drove like it was NA on steroids from what they were telling me. It wasn't a website, It was at the shop.

Whooopasss
12-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by importhonda
The goal was to have zero lag. Anyone can toss a bigger turbo on there and make shit loads of power. They has an awsome power curve with this setup... It drove like it was NA on steroids from what they were telling me.

Looks like a T3.. you should have asked about the fuel managment and ignition timing.. what was the torque anyway??

importhonda
12-12-2002, 12:11 AM
yeah... unfortunately they didnt have the SI there and when he brought up the dyno on his computer it didnt have a torque curve... I will see if I can stop by next time the civic is in and check it out... Just wanted to give you guys an idea of what they were doing... guess I just blue balled you :)

ssvr6
12-12-2002, 05:29 AM
this was a protoype setup. The goal was to have zero lag. Anyone can toss a bigger turbo on there and make shit loads of power. They has an awsome power curve with this setup... It drove like it was NA on steroids from what they were telling me. It wasn't a website, It was at the shop.

The VW 1.8T makes more power than that with chip, intake exhaust on it's crappy K03 sport!

Toss a T3/4 on there with new injectors, fuel pump, and reprogrammed ECU, and it's making upper 200's to the wheels... easy.

I wouldn't invest in a turbo unless I was going to dyno at AT LEAST 225 to the wheels.

Steve

IceD out N CALI
12-12-2002, 10:01 AM
yeah... unfortunately they didnt have the SI there and when he brought up the dyno on his computer it didnt have a torque curve... I will see if I can stop by next time the civic is in and check it out... Just wanted to give you guys an idea of what they were doing... guess I just blue balled you :)

its all good dont worry about it

Whooopasss
12-12-2002, 11:48 AM
Yahh.. any info about a turbo 02 Si is good.. good job in "spying" for ephatch.com LOL

BTW.. 200 HP at the wheel is plenty.. (that's about 240 at the crank) that puts it in the S2000 range.. you dont even need 200 HP at the wheel to play with WRX's.. WRX are 165 HP at the wheel stock..

When you do go back there, ask about fuel managment and ignition controll.. I am more interested with how they are retarding ignition unber boost since I got the fuel managment worked out already.

sniperSI
12-12-2002, 12:05 PM
200 whp is awesome, for 5 lbs of boost, double that and i don't doubt you be pusing close to 270 at the wheels, throw on a boost controler and you might as well put "Cobra killer" across the winsheild.

Stop being so bitchy also, the fella was just droping some info on an alpha test of a turbo for our cars, hks is talking 270,

JRSC is talking like 220 at the wheels which i think personaly is better because JRSC is all around less problems then a turbo would be and that's the way im probably going, JRSC and drop some cash on internals, same costs as a trubo, except i think the car overall would benifet more and better from a JRSC with cams and valve train then a turbo pushing 8lbs of boost al day long. (at least for the life of the engine IMPO).

2k2_nbp_egg
12-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6

The VW 1.8T makes more power than that with chip, intake exhaust on it's crappy K03 sport!

Toss a T3/4 on there with new injectors, fuel pump, and reprogrammed ECU, and it's making upper 200's to the wheels... easy.

I wouldn't invest in a turbo unless I was going to dyno at AT LEAST 225 to the wheels.

Steve

Hehe oh don't worry. I get the feeling that once everything for the K series gets figured and worked out that it's going to be a bigger hit than the b series. I don't care what blind ignorant B series owners say- i have yet to see such gains from a b series that a k series exhibits, especially w/ i/h/e.

My knowledge on boost isn't that great, but 205hp @ 5lbs is a pretty good developmental number to me. I'm curious as to what they did to the internals, because like someone else mentioned...MBC+more boost+a lil more breathing and im sure that a safe 250-270 whp is possible.

ssvr6
12-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by sniperSI

JRSC is talking like 220 at the wheels which i think personaly is better because JRSC is all around less problems then a turbo would be and that's the way im probably going, JRSC and drop some cash on internals, same costs as a trubo, except i think the car overall would benifet more and better from a JRSC with cams and valve train then a turbo pushing 8lbs of boost al day long. (at least for the life of the engine IMPO).

Now this interests me. 220 at the wheels from a roots based blower? Very interesting indeed!

Steve

sniperSI
12-12-2002, 12:51 PM
My bad, i meant 220 bhp, /; i suck

Az02Si
12-12-2002, 03:08 PM
I had 219/146 at 9ish psi on my JRSC B16...Now tell me the k series wont be able to match/beat that pound for pound.....Im pretty sure that whatever the b series did with boost,the k series will do BETTER.

importhonda
12-13-2002, 02:54 AM
I will see what I can dig up when I go back there. I know he said that tuning of the ECU wasn't as hard as they thought... So....

bmx269
12-13-2002, 09:51 AM
220 bhp. What is bhp?

Jpax
12-13-2002, 09:59 AM
I need a turbo for my 96 hatch. my 2002 si wouldnt get it. i want the psssssssshh sound so wihen i drive by you at 120 mph all you hear is psssssssssssssshhhhh.... then my fart can muffler. ;)

sniperSI
12-13-2002, 10:00 AM
(Bhp) Brake horsepower is a calculation where the engine horsepower is measured at the point of output

bmx269
12-13-2002, 10:47 AM
So bhp is the same as crank hp or whp? or different from both.

sniperSI
12-13-2002, 10:56 AM
part right.

Bhp is @ the crank, WHP is @ the wheels.

redlineracing
01-05-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm curious as to what kind of parts they are using for the turbo. ssvr6:
The GTI does put out pretty impressive numbers, I know since I was a previous owner, but you have to remember that the GTI had about .5 to 1 sec of lag before you could get usable HP/torque even when chipped(any chip: upsolute, GIAC, APR etc...). The way I see it is this: if you can get 205 whp out of a car w/ .5 sec - no lag @ 5-7lbs of boost you ARE doing something considering it takes about that to land 170-175 whp on a gti and chipped its up to it goes to 1.0 to 1.3 bar(thats 19.11 PSI to people that don't know that 1 bar=14.7 psi) and hits MAYBE 220hp if you're lucky.

All in all , anymore info you can provide on the kit would be great.

ssvr6
01-06-2003, 05:46 AM
I agree that there is some lag, but the K03 sports are just damn impressive. There's a guy running 12.2's with a 100 wet shot and some other mods and another local guy running 12.8's with a 40 wet shot. (I witnessed this.)

When I hear "turbo" I need to see a car in the mid to low 13's. That's all.

Steve

redlineracing
01-06-2003, 09:15 AM
And there's a guy on Clubsi that runs constant 10.2's with just a b18c and a turbo in his crx, he won't tell me anything else, but to me that pretty damn impressive without even a squeek of sneaky pete.

Edit: He's a local guy that races all the time at budds creek. I've witnessed these runs.

OldSIMan
01-09-2003, 03:21 PM
I would have to say 205hp is a very preliminary figure. I don't think I would have posted that number until more tuning is done. My old Civic w/B18C motor has 240hp with 8psi, 275 with 10.5psi. A K20A is capable of much more. Hondata is getting 216 NA from the ITR K20A!

RocketHatch
01-13-2003, 11:40 AM
That guy at MIR is Jason Hunt. His car is the fastest street FWD in the US. HE ran in the 9's this year. The motor is a fully built race engine putting out 500+ HP. You can't compare his motor to a 5psi EP his car runs something in the range of 20 to 30 PSI.

Tekdemon
01-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Hmm did a search for any reference to HKS and found this thread...if HKS is saying they'll push 270(is that at the crank or at the wheels? 270 at the wheels would be SWEET HEHEHEHE murder the cobras) then I might as well wait for the HKS and save up until then.......HKS rocks so I don't doubt the kit...

*drool*

Tekdemon
01-17-2003, 01:23 AM
By the way I'm not sure if having a super charger blowing all the time is any healthier versus a turbo setup for the engine....you can set a turbo setup so that the turbos only spool and kick in when full throttle position is detected(aka you floor it), much like some of those nitrous systems that spray when you floor it.

Brettnyt
02-09-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
im hoping for 250WHP!!! so i can whip some wrx's! and all the new cars that are going to come out.. we'll show them how to really turbo a car..

I watched a Turbo'd '00 civic hit 266.6 WHP just today. DAYUM. So nice. Paxie, BMX87568887239324926, and Jay were there too, fun time! He was runnin 10lbs.

MINIVANKILLER
02-16-2003, 07:25 AM
205 does really suck...for the money they have put into that car...you can get the Type S engine send the computer to Hondata and get to 210 that way without doing a turbo or a supercharger. I am going the engine way, so I can stay in the 4 cyl n/a class..

Dunrick
02-16-2003, 09:44 AM
Its a prototype......with our compression ratio - a well built turbo kit should give us a LOT of power gains....Probably good low end trq too.....

swampdonkey
02-17-2003, 03:42 PM
220hp at the wheels is more like 260hp at the crank. I don't know why the K series would handel boost better than the B series except for the B series haveing higher compression. The B series has a much stouter block and bottom end. I wouldn't dare run a full bar on a stock A3 but I would definately do it on a B16.

Dunrick
02-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Yeah but a3 has displacement.....and I dont know what u mean by bottom end....The a3 owns the b16 bottom end power wise if thats what u mean...Its too early, we dont even have cams out or anything......a3 is going to be a killer in a few years - just wait....its a si engine for christ sake....

swampdonkey
03-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Bottom end= rotating assembly. Crank, Rods, Pistons. Oh yeah the B series block is WAY tougher too. Cast iron with a closed water jacket. he K series has an open deck design which is not as goo dfor high boost.

Impact23
03-06-2003, 06:06 PM
I was thinking about going Ep but after hearing those numbers..... I may just stick to my 00 1.8T. Even that with the smaller turbo (not even the k03sport) would whoop ass on a 205 hp EP.... and I havent started on discussing torque yet. I love Si's but it seems like you have to dump too much money to get little results... :(
I would keep it Na as well and swap it instead of boosting and just have a reliable (yet fast) N/a car.

Dunrick
03-06-2003, 08:27 PM
THREE WORDS

PRO TO TYPE

wait till real turbo's come out

All that shit about how the B engine series is better is a bunch of horse shit - K series (a3, a2) own B series....They will go down in history just like the B series did

So what they got weaker bottom end stock, you replace all that shit anyways if your running turbo...if your going to do high end boost like you say swampdick

DC5@EM2
03-08-2003, 12:26 PM
What you guys should do is if you are looking into turbo, go to cyber nation. They are doing turbo kits for both the RSX and RSX Type S. Since you guys have the same motor as the base RSX, it shouldnt be that hard to convert. Their address is Cyber Nation (http://cybernationmotorsports.com)

SIborland
03-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Hahahaha, those are the numbnutz who drive down the street full boost bouncing off the limiter....yeah I trust them.....:rolleyes:

2k2ep
03-09-2003, 01:03 PM
205whp is great on 5lbs for our setup with a head swap and itr cams alone we should run in the 240- 250 range and 2.4 block and strong rotating assy. we'll have a bit more hp and tq to match and thats only on 5lbs 250+ hp&tq thats pretty mild 7-12lbs is attainable with a strong bottom end and 9500+rpm we'd be 300-350 easy

swampdonkey
03-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Wow I must say you are one witty fellow there Dunrick. I think all posts should reflect the type of maturity that you obviously possess. (in case you can't tell I'm being sarcastic)

I'm not argueing with you that the K series aren't great. The B series just have an inherently stronger design because of the closed deck cast iron design. Argueing against that just goes to show you don't kow what the hell you are talking about.

Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with being ignorant, but you should attempt to learn instead of lashing out becasue you believe I was putting down the K series. When I purchase a turbo kit I will probably be running 6-8lbs and no more because I don't want to sleeve my block and replace my bottom end bits. I probably won't be able to afford to do that. I also never said anything about "doing high end boost". I said the B series is capable of running higher boost levels because of its construction and its better bottom end parts. What I said wasn't complicated or offensive I don't where I lost you....it was merely a factual statement. I'll say it again for you.

The B series are better prepared in stock trim to handle high boost because of their closed water jacket/cast Iron design and stronger internals.

2k2ep
03-10-2003, 02:32 PM
i was not complaing at you just everyone that is dissapointed with 205 on 5lbs on our motor, otherwise i agree with you

swampdonkey
03-10-2003, 02:53 PM
I agree with you. I think 205hp is pretty good when you consider that almost 70hp for a bolt on mod. I don't know why everybody is disapointed with it.

My rudeness was not directed towards you 2k2ep. :D

Dunrick
03-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Your ereet knowledges makes me horney....ma ma ma me so horney - Me lub you long time. The comment about swampdick is my bad, I seriously thought that was your name.

Impact23
03-11-2003, 09:24 AM
It is true that the numbers can only get better. That is why i am actually going to switch back over to my 3rd si. (had 2 2000's) As far as the numbers on the GTI though, many of the ones I know have the K04 upgraded turbo's out of the TT's with a redone ECU and those fawkers moooove. It was the route I was going but I would rather have a N/a car now. Turbo is fun and something everybody should try but there is nothing like a nice ballsy N/A car. :) Who knows later down the road I may have to throw one in the EP. :D

redlineracing
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by RocketHatch
That guy at MIR is Jason Hunt. His car is the fastest street FWD in the US. HE ran in the 9's this year. The motor is a fully built race engine putting out 500+ HP. You can't compare his motor to a 5psi EP his car runs something in the range of 20 to 30 PSI.

Dude I know who he is I wasn't trying to name names. Some people like privacy. His car pushes anywhere between 22-25 psi depending on the climate and enviroment. I used his car as a comparison so that people can realize a potential of motor like the k20.

Yes the 2 engines are 2 different beasts but you have to realize that they are both VERY good quality motors that both deserve the aftermarket backing that they are getting. Once the k20 has reached the backing that the B series motors have who knows maybe 8-10 sec quarters will be as common then as 10-12 sec quarters are now.