PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem...could use a little help with this one.

stiffler2oo4
09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
First a little about my car. 2003 VBP Civic SI, 94k miles, mods include AEM CAI and that's it.

So for the past week I have noticed my EP3 needs to crank longer and longer to start...twice in that week I noticed while the engine was running a green key-shaped light blinking in my dash...I would shut it down and restart the car just fine with no blinking green light. Two nights ago, i got into my car to drive home from work it took a couple of seconds of cranking to start up and then it started but immediately shut off and I couldn't get the engine to start again. I figured it was low on gas, but i put a gallon of gas in and tried to turn it on but it just keeps cranking and never starts the engine. I ended up clutch starting the car and drove home, and parked it until yesterday morning...and it has been sitting there ever since because the engine won't start....I changed the battery, thinking the battery was the problem...but no luck. I have no unusual lights on the dash, in fact it seems normal, even acts as if it is trying/wants to start...it just doesn't.

Also the keys I have seem to be low on battery power...I have to hold down the lock/unlock button for like 5-10 seconds to lock the doors all of a sudden. I was thinking this could be an immobilizer issue, but I'm not sure. Help is appreciated.

Twisted-X
09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
It does sound like a problem with the immobilizer. Do you have an extra key? You could try using that and see if the issue continues. The flashing green key indicates the immobilizer is not allowing the car to start.

RHCP0801
09-08-2010, 09:11 PM
the battery in your remote has nothing to do with the immobilizer.....just replace them and that will be fixed

the green key means there is a problem with the immobilizer, you need to take it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed and looked at for problems

stiffler2oo4
09-08-2010, 09:26 PM
just tried my other key and it doesn't work either....hmmm. Is there a way I can check for error codes without using any special devices? Maybe I can narrow it down that wa...I just don't have a obd2 prgrammer.

RHCP0801
09-09-2010, 05:03 PM
no you cant check immobilizer problems with a code reader, you have to go the dealer

Anrasmor
09-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Sounds like immobilizer to me.