PDA

View Full Version : Racing seat / Sparco Steering wheel SRS Question

ImportCustomx
09-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Simple question

Problem : SRS Light is on.

I am going to try resetting it this weekend when i get a chance. Will resetting the SRS light do me any good considering i have an aftermarket Sparco roadster seat and a Sparco Racer 2 steering wheel with hub.

Basically the seat plug for hte srs is unplugged and the air bag is unplugged. how do i make the SRS go off.

Please do not say unplug the bulb, i will kick you in the nuts.

Does resetting it fix this issue or will it pop back up?

figured id ask since i am stuck in the office till 5

HondaFreak
09-10-2010, 07:47 AM
No it will NOT fix it.
Close your eyes and pretend it's not lit up.

Christian

Anrasmor
09-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Simple question

Problem : SRS Light is on.

I am going to try resetting it this weekend when i get a chance. Will resetting the SRS light do me any good considering i have an aftermarket Sparco roadster seat and a Sparco Racer 2 steering wheel with hub.

Basically the seat plug for hte srs is unplugged and the air bag is unplugged. how do i make the SRS go off.

Please do not say unplug the bulb, i will kick you in the nuts.

Does resetting it fix this issue or will it pop back up?

Nut kicking aside. Taking the bulb out is the easiest way to not have it light up. Otherwise there isn't much you can do.

ImportCustomx
09-10-2010, 08:09 AM
im sure there is something that can make it think its plugged in. its a simple circuit.

what is the piece that it plugs into on the OEM seats...my seats did not have the airbags on them so what is it plugging into? a pressure switch? ill find one of those. and i am going to get an OEM steering wheel. as well.

but there has to be something that can complete the circuit so it thinks its functioning properly.

just found this in my travels

http://ht-archive.org/showthread.php?t=2398113

this leads me to believe that using a resistor will work on the seat as well..if this is the case then ill make a how to along my travels.

so you two are wrong, i dont have to unplug a bulb or just deal with it. i hate when people respond that way, thats why i said dont respond with thatt. its a waste.

closing my eyes while driving isnt a good answer either...i could hurt little fuzzy kittens

itchy5
09-10-2010, 08:26 AM
im sure there is something that can make it think its plugged in. its a simple circuit.

what is the piece that it plugs into on the OEM seats...my seats did not have the airbags on them so what is it plugging into? a pressure switch? ill find one of those. and i am going to get an OEM steering wheel. as well.

but there has to be something that can complete the circuit so it thinks its functioning properly.

you will need to connect a resistor to the SRS harness that has roughly the same resistance as the whole SRS unit. I was going to do this but forgot before i removed my wheel... You need to take a multimeter and measure it while the car is running.

Anrasmor
09-10-2010, 08:37 AM

this leads me to believe that using a resistor will work on the seat as well..if this is the case then ill make a how to along my travels.

so you two are wrong, i dont have to unplug a bulb or just deal with it. i hate when people respond that way, thats why i said dont respond with thatt. its a waste. get your post counts up else where.

closing my eyes while driving isnt a good answer either...i could hurt little fuzzy kittens

I merely said the easiest way is to remove the bulb. Honestly do you have any of the airbags still in the vehicle? If not then why have the bulb at all? If you only have the passenger airbag, then why not remove it and save some weight and remove the bulb.

And yes, you can use a resistor. But finding the correct resistor that can also fit in the connector and then getting it to fit correctly is more of a pain than removing the bulb. Not to mention if you don't get a good connection with the resistor it's just going to set the light again.

ImportCustomx
09-10-2010, 08:38 AM
that write up shows the resistor you need. 2% 2ohm

ill measure it with my dmm though just to verify.

when i do this i will make a how to.

Anrasmor
09-10-2010, 08:45 AM

The plug usually plugs into the factory seat belt buckles. They have pyrotechnics to pull the buckle tight whenever there is a collision detected.

Anrasmor
09-10-2010, 08:54 AM
you will need to connect a resistor to the SRS harness that has roughly the same resistance as the whole SRS unit. I was going to do this but forgot before i removed my wheel... You need to take a multimeter and measure it while the car is running.

DO NOT connect a multimeter to anything related to the SRS when the vehicle is running. You run a huge risk of blowing the bags. If you're measuring resistance you do not need the vehicle powered.

ImportCustomx
09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
DO NOT connect a multimeter to anything related to the SRS when the vehicle is running. You run a huge risk of blowing the bags. If you're measuring resistance you do not need the vehicle powered.

Resistance doesnt require power, thanks

yeah anything with srs when im working on wiring etc the battery is disconneted. i had a huge problem on a previous car with frying a relay..took about a year solve it...after doing an entire engine harness, 2 ecu's, and an interior harness later.

ImportCustomx
09-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I merely said the easiest way is to remove the bulb. Honestly do you have any of the airbags still in the vehicle? If not then why have the bulb at all? If you only have the passenger airbag, then why not remove it and save some weight and remove the bulb.

And yes, you can use a resistor. But finding the correct resistor that can also fit in the connector and then getting it to fit correctly is more of a pain than removing the bulb. Not to mention if you don't get a good connection with the resistor it's just going to set the light again.

I want to keep the passenger side airbag, i am driving the car in the summer, so i intend on keeping it in its drivable form. which means i need to get a sticker. srs cannot be on.

As far as worrying about how to get the connection firm thats very simple, just get the correct female/male plug, solder/connect the resistor to the plug like mugen did for their SRS Delete on their steering wheel hub.
just found their steering wheel hub on King Motor Sports..comes with a nice srs delete.
https://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-737-mugen-racing-steering-wheel-boss.aspx

And ill have to check into the resistance on the bottom plug on the floor under the seat to see the resistance and then go from there. but if the resistance is 2ohms down there then doing the same thing ( getting a 2 ohm resistor and a plug and then plugging it in would fix my issue after a reset)

**Just called king** they agree the resistor method is the best bet. they cannot get just the srs delete plug, mugen doesnt make them available as just a part.

Anrasmor
09-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Resistance doesnt require power, thanks

yeah anything with srs when im working on wiring etc the battery is disconneted. i had a huge problem on a previous car with frying a relay..took about a year solve it...after doing an entire engine harness, 2 ecu's, and an interior harness later.

Haha yeah. Also fuses....people over look fuses a lot when it comes to diagnosing anything electrical.

Anrasmor
09-10-2010, 12:45 PM
And ill have to check into the resistance on the bottom plug on the floor under the seat to see the resistance and then go from there. but if the resistance is 2ohms down there then doing the same thing ( getting a 2 ohm resistor and a plug and then plugging it in would fix my issue after a reset)

If my car wasn't at the body shop I'd check the resistance of my buckles when I got home for ya.

ImportCustomx
09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
had that fuse issue with my bike..wreckedmy bike at about 60+mph..after a winter rebuild..tried to start her up.. 2 weeks it dawned on me that i need to check the master fuse...yup..thats all it was. lol

ImportCustomx
09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
If my car wasn't at the body shop I'd check the resistance of my buckles when I got home for ya.

I wont be able to touch the car till monday/tuesday. goin on vacation with the future wife this weekend.

SHG_EasyE
09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I have been researching this aswell. Im running a bucket and currently need to use the bulky belt tensioner and buckle assembly to keep the SRS system functional. I measured resistance and its 2.2ohms. Im going to do a resistor when I get around to putting my new brackets in and source an old school buckle without the tensioner. You dont need a plug to wire in a resistor, just snip the plug and solder in a resistor in its place. Nice neat and no bulky plugs.

Anrasmor
09-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I wont be able to touch the car till monday/tuesday. goin on vacation with the future wife this weekend.

Grats man. Have fun.

Jukka
09-11-2010, 02:30 PM
For the seat resistors, I found these guys online when i was looking at Ebay.co.uk for parts for our cars.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RECARO-Universal-Resistor-Airbag-Jumper-Wire-Cable-/350280443971?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item518e576843#ht_776wt_911

They are a direct connection...they should work well. I had a buddy of mine who has a newer celica installed a set of Sparcos in his, and used a set of these, no problem what so ever. Might even work with the airbag connection.

ImportCustomx
09-16-2010, 07:13 AM
killer find, im going to try that 2.2ohm resistor and just snip and solder like you said SHG_EasyE. ill keep everyone posted.

that Universal Resistor Airbag Jumper Wire Cable from that seller is awesome. i just cant justify 40$ when i can make it for under 5$

SHG_EasyE
09-16-2010, 11:42 AM
killer find, im going to try that 2.2ohm resistor and just snip and solder like you said SHG_EasyE. ill keep everyone posted.

that Universal Resistor Airbag Jumper Wire Cable from that seller is awesome. i just cant justify 40$ when i can make it for under 5$

nice, keep us updated... I'm looking forward to seeing this work since you'll probably get aroun to doing your before I do. I'm with you on that jumper too... It's real nice but way too much for what it is.

SHG_EasyE
12-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Not sure if any progress has been made on your end but as promised here is my How-To on the subject. Cheers!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60428-How-To-Remove-your-OEM-seat-belt-buckle-when-installing-a-Bucket-seat-and-or-Harness&p=823625#post823625

ImportCustomx
12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
thank you i really appreciate you following up on it.

i had to put it on hold becuase i am buying a house. but its awesome to know. thanks!

SHG_EasyE
12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
No problem man, good luck!

AKEP
12-08-2010, 09:00 PM
i too had made a diy for this. it probably got lost in the crash. idk. alot of my stuff got lost in the crash. =[

EDU
12-09-2010, 08:20 AM
question kinda related:
if the car had k-pro you should be able to just by-pass/turn off that warning light. correct??

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 09:36 AM
question kinda related:
if the car had k-pro you should be able to just by-pass/turn off that warning light. correct??

Good question!

dkid15
01-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I have 2 comments to make here. I spun halfway through third one time at the track and my srs light went off. No idea why. secondly when is memoryfab goign to start selling seats again.