PDA

View Full Version : Major EPHatch turn over..

Deadphishy
09-12-2010, 10:08 AM
:mcry:

Seems to be the EPhatch has become just a bunch of new EP owners that just use the site to trouble shoot problems and nothing else. How often do we have to tell people to search around, It's making me sad.

trippy
09-12-2010, 10:14 AM
its gettin pretty annoying lol ep is like eg's now -_- EVERYWHERE !

vbpracer
09-12-2010, 10:26 AM
You are right, many orginal owners have switched to different vehicles.

jeenyusss
09-12-2010, 10:43 AM
i still have the ep just dont get on here much due to above mentioned problems

RickEP3
09-12-2010, 10:54 AM
My sentiments exactly. :mcry:

usedep3
09-12-2010, 11:02 AM
:mcry:

Seems to be the EPhatch has become just a bunch of new EP owners that just use the site to trouble shoot problems and nothing else. How often do we have to tell people to search around, It's making me sad.

QFT but that just means its now on us to make hatch what it is/was to us for the new batch of owners. i'm lazy i hate it too

trippy
09-12-2010, 11:06 AM
GO AWAY U NOOBS N BUY A EG ! hahah jk jk

Passenger
09-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Noob this is a repost, we've heard it before. Search before you just make another useless post about people not searching and just posting whats already postetttttt.

RedSiBaron
09-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Stop whining and do something about it...that's my take on this thread, sorry

ShadowEP3
09-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Stop whining and do something about it...that's my take on this thread, sorry

what do you propose?..i dont see a solution other than using search

itd be nice if we could organize a single thread per section with info for the noobs (eg. 1 thread that states where to find lips/what fits/looks like/ect.)

Passenger
09-12-2010, 11:33 AM
personally it gets more on my nerves when people say OMG SEARCH NOOB ITS THIS THREAD AND THIS THREAD AND THIS THREAD> TOOK ME 3 SECONDS. THREE WHOLE SECONDS. That bothers me more than someone just being new and feeling lost.

sleepy ep3
09-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Sometimes the search doesn't always produce the best results, even when refined. I can see in some cases where it's faster to just ask. This is a great forum to where even when a noob asks a dumbass, obvious question, he gets an answer rather than flamed. That's the reason that I only get on here and K20A.org

Sucka
09-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I know exactly what your talking about! I just never wanted to post it up to get flamed on. But it's really annoying though.

AUTiger
09-12-2010, 12:31 PM
what bothers me is when someone starts a new thread on a topic that not only has been covered in multiple threads, but there is a 3-4page thread on the first page of threads in that section. i.e. starting a vtec killer thread, when if you bothered to look 10 threads down in that same section there would be a thread already covering the topic. That's just plain lazy if you ask me.

Deadphishy
09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
all i'm saying is this forum hardly moves, the only time it does is when a memeber with 4 posts has problem with their car. I have no problem with that. I want to know what happened to all the other good conversational, build threads, good stuff.

On the other note.

I think the best advice you can give a person who asks a very bad, question is this.

"I would love to help you out, However your lack of understanding leads me to believe, that you need to do a lot more reading. Not only on the subject on hand, but on the general operation and contruction of the k20 engine. This information can be found on this site and others. If you still need clarification on anything let me know i will do my best, however i will not be able to help you with on this yet because i do not feel the information will be helpful to you at this time"

Deadphishy
09-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Sometimes the search doesn't always produce the best results, even when refined. I can see in some cases where it's faster to just ask. This is a great forum to where even when a noob asks a dumbass, obvious question, he gets an answer rather than flamed. That's the reason that I only get on here and K20A.org

I see to many people join the forum for one simple question, then never come back again. These people should search.

civicSIracer
09-12-2010, 12:45 PM
how do i turn off my maint req light????? Doh

Sucka
09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
what bothers me is when someone starts a new thread on a topic that not only has been covered in multiple threads, but there is a 3-4page thread on the first page of threads in that section. i.e. starting a vtec killer thread, when if you bothered to look 10 threads down in that same section there would be a thread already covering the topic. That's just plain lazy if you ask me.

Yeah I read that post.

all i'm saying is this forum hardly moves, the only time it does is when a memeber with 4 posts has problem with their car. I have no problem with that. I want to know what happened to all the other good conversational, build threads, good stuff.

On the other note.

I think the best advice you can give a person who asks a very bad, question is this.

"I would love to help you out, However your lack of understanding leads me to believe, that you need to do a lot more reading. Not only on the subject on hand, but on the general operation and contruction of the k20 engine. This information can be found on this site and others. If you still need clarification on anything let me know i will do my best, however i will not be able to help you with on this yet because i do not feel the information will be helpful to you at this time"

Your so right about that! I think from now on im gonna have to quote that and post it up whenever someone asks for help. I'll link them to this thread too! ROFL! LOL!

Deadphishy
09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Yeah I read that post.

Your so right about that! I think from now on im gonna have to quote that and post it up whenever someone asks for help. I'll link them to this thread too! ROFL! LOL!

Just clean up the grammer ;)

ttttrigg3r
09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I thought about this on the way to school. How about making a FAQ or several FAQ threads with links as questions and then sticky them. Have one for K-pro, car maint, DIY, How to and all that.

Heitzke
09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I've definitely noticed it too. Not much we can do about it besides continue to help spread knowledge as older more experienced members did for me when I was younger. Honestly, I do all of my technical reading on k20a and crsx, but since this community has done a lot for me over the years, I come back to try to help when I can.

All forums seem to be very cyclical like this.

BeaterEP
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah, like Heitzke said, these things tend to be cyclical.
I just try to help out where I can. If I can provide an answer quickly, I do, while providing any links to other threads I can think of. I also suggest in a civil manner that they might try the search function to try to find more info if they need it.
Frankly, the whole "SERCH NOOBS" response is not only really fucking rude, but kind of not practical sometimes. I personally hate the search function on VBulletin powered forums, as it tends to be total crap even when you tweak some settings with an "advanced" search.
I can understand how someone can search and easily not find what they're looking for.

T_Virus
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Vtec Killer, maintence light, Vtec is not kicking after 5000 rpm on k20a3, No Vtec, swaping motor without K-pro, sri vers cai...and the list goes on.

Strife
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM
You are right, many orginal owners have switched to different vehicles.

It's true. Its hard to look back.

jed_averill
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
There's just so much things to talk about that it's bound to be repeated. I'm a noob and I admit to that, before I joined the EPhatch. I seriously almost only knew about simple bolt ons if not very limited but just logging on to the forums at least once a day gives me knowledge. It's almost like I learn something new everyday. As for the people that do flame or be slightly rude, I kinda just ignore it and wait for the nice people to give their 2 cents. Not saying I've been flamed on or something. As for now, the more people that ask, the more I learn. It's helpful to me. I've been an admin for 2 years in another forum so I know how things go as for a similar situation like this.

*Grammar Check*

cronicEP
09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
I have def noticed this also. I have not been on the hatch for almost 2 months now, i used to get on everyday. I feel like the hatch has become something different from what it was before the site crash/hiccup. Maybe it's just me but i Just don't love this forum like i used to, I still love my car though, ha. I actually only got on today to say something about the hatch and how it's changed, and i saw this thread before i posted my "rant." Maybe it's our cars getting more attention and our worst fears are coming true. We're just another civic now. (sniff sniff) I have no clue to what we can do to change things. But hopefully it will come soon.

cronicEP
09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Vtec Killer, maintence light, Vtec is not kicking after 5000 rpm on k20a3, No Vtec, swaping motor without K-pro, sri vers cai...and the list goes on.
don't forget the will i rub? What suspension? what wheels?...omg lately the hatch fails! sorry

trippy
09-12-2010, 07:25 PM
holdddd up ! soo we dont have vtec ? i always thought we did...

KIdddin ! lol

VIZHUNZ02SI
09-12-2010, 08:10 PM
i feel ya pain. its to the point. the noobies think they know it all but cant change their own oil. its kill the love for the ep3. and i've considered looking at another car

Sucka
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I thought about this on the way to school. How about making a FAQ or several FAQ threads with links as questions and then sticky them. Have one for K-pro, car maint, DIY, How to and all that.

I don't know what your talking about but when i click into certain sections all the STICKY/FAQ's is on top.

EP3Casas
09-12-2010, 08:27 PM
the whole point of a a car forum is to dicuss the vehicle. all they are doing is asking questions. that they want specific answers to.

i personally hate searching u never find the answer you want. if u guys have a problem with ppl posting about the same stuff then just avoid it. it keeps the forum "alive" so to speak.

K20wagon
09-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Ya it has changed lately. I doesnt seem like so many people are online anymore. The other day that I got on and went to new posts and there was only 3 threads and that was it. I was like what has happened to this site. After the crash I guess everyone found better things to do since it was down for so long. Most of the threads now are questions that have already been answered and stuff. The ep3 is soon to become like the EG's and stuff. Its good in a way but bad also since we were the rare SI.

Sucka
09-12-2010, 08:31 PM
the whole point of a a car forum is to dicuss the vehicle. all they are doing is asking questions. that they want specific answers to.

i personally hate searching u never find the answer you want. if u guys have a problem with ppl posting about the same stuff then just avoid it. it keeps the forum "alive" so to speak.

Yeah sometimes i don't feel like posting to reply but than again i feel bad for them, cause i know what situation there in and how they are feeling at the moment.

EP3Casas
09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah sometimes i don't feel like posting to reply but than again i feel bad for them, cause i know what situation there in and how they are feeling at the moment.

ive been there and hate the feeling of ppl replying "search noob" when u need an answer at that moment or want to discuss the issue you are having.

Sucka
09-12-2010, 08:51 PM
ive been there and hate the feeling of ppl replying "search noob" when u need an answer at that moment or want to discuss the issue you are having.

Your right. After all these years being on this forum i have made alot of local/out of state ep3 friends. Everytime i have a problem i give them a call and ask for help. It seems like the best solution out there is to make friends with some local ep's.

RoyVegasPinoy
09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
I should bring up that I think the search feature on this forum sucks. It's hard to really find what you're looking for without getting a million results. For instance, typing "cv boot" will show results for every thread with the word "boot" and every thread with the word "cv", and every thread with both. I find myself rather searching for info in clubrsx.

Take it easy on the noobies. No one likes know-it-all smart asses that puts more effort in giving people a hard time rather than actually helping. Some people are brand new to forums and don't know how all this works. They might not know the lingo on what words to search for. At least they're trying to learn about their cars and fix it themselves. It's not their fault they're new and you've already gotten what you need from this site. Give back. If you're tired of it, take a break.

EP3Casas
09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
i should bring up that i think the search feature on this forum sucks. It's hard to really find what you're looking for without getting a million results.
this!

Sucka
09-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I should bring up that I think the search feature on this forum sucks. It's hard to really find what you're looking for without getting a million results. For instance, typing "cv boot" will show results for every thread with the word "boot" and every thread with the word "cv", and every thread with both. I find myself rather searching for info in clubrsx.

Take it easy on the noobies. No one likes know-it-all smart asses that puts more effort in giving people a hard time rather than actually helping. Some people are brand new to forums and don't know how all this works. They might not know the lingo on what words to search for. At least they're trying to learn about their cars and fix it themselves. It's not they're fault they're new and you've already gotten what you need from this site. Give back. If you're tired of it, take a break.

Nicely said Roy come to Cali Let's kick it with Joshwa!

Deadphishy
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I should bring up that I think the search feature on this forum sucks. It's hard to really find what you're looking for without getting a million results. .

You need to run a search on how to run a search noob. ;)

Just kidding

But really you should look up all the little tricks to searching it helps.

All i'm saying with this thread is, EPHatch is full of a new crowd. I do hope things pick up. I love this forum.

ttttrigg3r
09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't know what your talking about but when i click into certain sections all the STICKY/FAQ's is on top.

Yeah some of the sections like the DIY and Engine section have good stickies. Some sections don't have stickies though. And how about just a general FAQ for all the "noob" questions you find annoying. Just stick them onto one big post so anyone new can just click CTRL+F on that post and find the answer. That would solve some repetative questions (Vtec Killer, maintence light, Vtec is not kicking after 5000 rpm on k20a3, No Vtec, swaping motor without K-pro, sri vers cai...and the list goes on.) would that work?

Distance
09-12-2010, 10:29 PM
its true how you guys are saying that theres alot of new people that signs on to the forum and ask a simple question thats been asked a million times and never comes back. its quite annoying actually. not alot of the newer people contribute to this site but its a good thing that they don't stay. ephatch would end up as another honda-tech if those type of retards overstay there welcome.

yes the search does suck but im still able to find info on things i need to know but it takes some effort.

Hasbro
09-12-2010, 11:42 PM

Just kidding

All i'm saying with this thread is, EPHatch is full of a new crowd. I do hope things pick up. I love this forum.

Perhaps a sticky on how to search would help.

RoyVegasPinoy
09-13-2010, 02:33 AM

Just kidding

So not only do noobs have to use the search, they should search on how to use searching to search properly. Do you see the problem in that? Err don't make it anymore complicated. Searching on how to use a search on here would be a nightmare full of "USE THE SEARCH NOOB" threads. Want to just explain some of those tricks on here while we're at it?

shanewdude
09-13-2010, 03:52 AM
Interesting thread... I agree with much of what's posted here. We should start listing the repetitive questions, and the answers with a link to the thread/threads where they are answered. That's the idea of stickies, but if we have all the newb-ish questions in one thread, with the answers and links to the answers, that might help.

If you guys post the questions/answers, I'll try to compile them into one thread.

Deadphishy
09-13-2010, 05:06 AM
So not only do noobs have to use the search, they should search on how to use searching to search properly. Do you see the problem in that? Err don't make it anymore complicated. Searching on how to use a search on here would be a nightmare full of "USE THE SEARCH NOOB" threads. Want to just explain some of those tricks on here while we're at it?

Silver spoon or is nickle plated ok?

What do you even mean? If someone could't use a keyboard i'd tell them to learn to use the keyboard, before they started typing. If someone doesn't know their way around a search engine i'd tell them to learn how to search, not spoon feed them the information every single time they have a question, because asking them to put in even a little bit of work on their end is just rude.

Anrasmor
09-13-2010, 05:24 AM
I have only owned my ep for about a month. I have only become addicted to one other forum and it was when I owned my Jeep. This forum does really well with answering a lot of questions. I would imagine there are way more people reading this forum and having their questions answered than ones that create accounts and ask a really easy question. So I wouldn't stress too much over the small percentage, you guys help way more than you might think.

Stubby
09-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Here is my thought. We all get older. And most of the original owners on EPhatch bought there EP when they first came out, unlike an EG owner. Most of the people that bought the EG when it first came out are close to there 40's. That being said, the OG member that are still on this website should offer assistance to the newer generation of EP owner or this website is going to become just like honda-tech. I have no problem answering any questions on this website. Someone once answered my stupid questions when I first joined in 2004. Just respect our young crowd of ep owners and the ep will continue being a great platform to build a car.

ImportCustomx
09-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Look at how this forum is structured. this is an awesome community and we have lots of potential. if we have similiar stickys at the top just like crx community i feel that we could help the noobs.

http://www.crxcommunity.com/

You guys forget that noobs are what keeps this site up and running, somewhat interesting. We were all there at one point. the "og"'s are nice too, but we are far and few. Greenies rock but they are mostly OG's or guys who arnt making noob posts.

i think if we structure like crx community with the FAQ's stickys then we will help aot of the noobs. we dont want to scare people to honda-tech or club ep3.

BeaterEP
09-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Gotta agree with Roy...like I said earlier, the search function sucks on VBulletin-powered forums. It's just one of those things.
And as for everyone hating on noobs, jesus. Really, were you all born as K-series master mechanics? Did you just pop out with a service manual in one hand and a fresh timing chain in the other? :tehe:

I get that people are annoyed with the constant threads about topics that have been covered, but that's just kinda the way it goes. As people are introduced to the car, and the engine, they're going to have questions. At first, they'll be the same common ones that we've all seen, but as time goes by and newer members have a chance to browse around, they'll start to get a feel for how things work, and should pick up on their own.
Additionally, like Import said, additional stickies and FAQs are a good idea, too. That should at least make it a little more straightforward for new members that are looking for common answers.

Hatin on people for asking questions doesn't really accomplish anything.

ImportCustomx
09-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Hatin on people for asking questions doesn't really accomplish anything.

It only scares away the people that just bought EP's, pushes them to other sites. :( thats how we become extinct

BeaterEP
09-13-2010, 07:28 AM
troof.org

Deadphishy
09-13-2010, 07:45 AM
People are stuck on the Search aspect of this.

I feel we should really focus on getting people to converse. Even if it's about the little things or the mods that people have done a million times already.
My biggest worry is that because this site still has an amazing amount of information, that we will be left with only people popping in when the need something, And not trying to give anything back. Even if it's just in the Off topic sections.

RedSiBaron
09-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Here is my thought. We all get older. And most of the original owners on EPhatch bought there EP when they first came out, unlike an EG owner. Most of the people that bought the EG when it first came out are close to there 40's. That being said, the OG member that are still on this website should offer assistance to the newer generation of EP owner or this website is going to become just like honda-tech. I have no problem answering any questions on this website. Someone once answered my stupid questions when I first joined in 2004. Just respect our young crowd of ep owners and the ep will continue being a great platform to build a car.

I agree with you man, im sorry but half the people posting their complaints in here were noobs at somepoint in the last few years that im sure I answered their "dumb noob" questions. I have zero problem answering questions, I had them at one point too, that's how I found out my answer. The reason ephatch was so well loved in the first place was because it was a group of people who didn't have answers to their questions about a new car, so they figured it out together and shared their knowledge. Ephatch is about sharing information and helping people, and if you want it to be like it was you need to help instead of complaining it isn't the way you want.

ImportCustomx
09-13-2010, 08:58 AM
I agree with you man, im sorry but half the people posting their complaints in here were noobs at somepoint in the last few years that im sure I answered their "dumb noob" questions. I have zero problem answering questions, I had them at one point too, that's how I found out my answer. The reason ephatch was so well loved in the first place was because it was a group of people who didn't have answers to their questions about a new car, so they figured it out together and shared their knowledge. Ephatch is about sharing information and helping people, and if you want it to be like it was you need to help instead of complaining it isn't the way you want.

Yea man, back in the day i never got flamed for my dumb questions...we should continue to help out the new guysand welcome them

jgn6848
09-13-2010, 09:09 AM
When I first joined I could only do simply bolt ons (intakes and such) but because of this site and all the wonderful folks here I was able to get plenty of information to do a swap, valve lash adjustment, headers...... also get neat tricks on installing esmm, bushings etc

Stubby
09-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Amen, and this is the way it should be today. So everybody needs to stop complaining about newb questions and the search button. I am frankly tired of hearing about it. Kinda drives me away from this site that people that are newer to this site are complaining about answering questions because they are too lazy to type out a 5 minute answer or find the thread for them. Get over yourself because someone out there knows more than you about cars.

Oh yeah and lets not get off topic either because the search button has nothing to do with ephatch turnover. Younger drivers and people that finally realize that the ep has a little bit of potential is what allows turnover to happen. I am glad there is turnover because that is what keeps this site alive.

Passenger
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
When I first joined I could only do simply bolt ons (intakes and such) but because of this site and all the wonderful folks here I was able to get plenty of information to do a swap, valve lash adjustment, headers...... also get neat tricks on installing esmm, bushings etc

lol.. What part of Atlanta are you from? I might get you to be my mechanic.

So everybody needs to stop complaining about newb questions and the search button. I am frankly tired of hearing about it. Kinda drives me away from this site that people that are newer to this site are complaining about answering questions because they are too lazy to type out a 5 minute answer or find the thread for them. Get over yourself because someone out there knows more than you about cars.
Oh yeah and lets not get off topic either because the search button has nothing to do with ephatch turnover. Younger drivers and people that finally realize that the ep has a little bit of potential is what allows turnover to happen. I am glad there is turnover because that is what keeps this site alive.

:werd: & :werd:

dkid15
09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
A lot of this has to do with people not seeing something amusing. There are a few Ep's that get a lot of attention and a few builds that do as well. I honestly think this forum needs to merge with clubep3.net. Whatever differences there are between whomever need to be cast aside. This site simply needs more contribution.

Heitzke
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
This site simply needs more contribution.

Agreed. There has been a general lack of posts site wide, much less interesting/new things

kenscivic
09-13-2010, 10:33 AM
People are stuck on the Search aspect of this.

I feel we should really focus on getting people to converse. Even if it's about the little things or the mods that people have done a million times already.
My biggest worry is that because this site still has an amazing amount of information, that we will be left with only people popping in when the need something, And not trying to give anything back. Even if it's just in the Off topic sections.

I agree with this post (I think the firstr post of yours in a while I have agreed with :D).. I remember back when I first signed up I made some friends from this forum and it seems like now the only people I still talk to on this forum are older members. If we could fix this lack of general chit chat it would go back to a better place imo.

Deadphishy
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree with this post (I think the firstr post of yours in a while I have agreed with :D).. I remember back when I first signed up I made some friends from this forum and it seems like now the only people I still talk to on this forum are older members. If we could fix this lack of general chit chat it would go back to a better place imo.

Haha, yeah. Disagree is always fine. Dis-respect is what causes so many problems today.

jgn6848
09-13-2010, 11:41 AM
lol.. What part of Atlanta are you from? I might get you to be my mechanic.

:werd: & :werd:

Kennesaw.... 30min north of atl

kenscivic
09-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Haha, yeah. Disagree is always fine. Dis-respect is what causes so many problems today.

Agreed, if there is no disagreement the information is voided. I would rather have 10 people saying this is why it should be and 10 saying this is why it shouldn't than having 20 people saying "YES YES YES"

Disagreeing is what made our nation great! It is what gives us common sense to question others theories.