PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Mythbusters!

Kerby
09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Procedure:
Installing a freshly prepped cylinder head with brand new OEM equipment, a mild port and polish, and a new headgasket on a seasoned block. For all intents and purposes say the block has 90K.

Statement: a prepped head will cause high pressure in the cylinder walls and will wear/blow the piston rings. therefore it is not a good idea.

The above statement was made to me by a machinist. It is troof or myth?

EP3Casas
09-13-2010, 08:07 PM
this is very intriguing.

subscibed.

my guess would b nothing will happen. there is really no difference in compression. and thats what would cause the rings to go. thats my guess.

talonXracer
09-13-2010, 08:22 PM
If the engine has an increase in air per stroke, the fuel would also need to be increased to maintain a proper A/F, this increases combustion chamber pressures, a weak set of rings will start leaking quicker. 90K is not that any miles, you should be ok, if you wanted to optimize what you have you could pull the rods and pistons and do a quick glaze break of the cylinder walls with one of those drill mounted jobbers with all the ceramic beads, clean the pistons tops and ring lands and rings, check end gap and replace if needed, check main bearing condition and plastigauge, and then reassemble. reasonable cost, not that bad time wise, very easy to "freshen" up an engine as long as it does not have abnormal wear.

BeaterEP
09-14-2010, 12:38 PM
^^^I only understood like 1/5 of that.
/noobsauce

Kerby
09-14-2010, 03:45 PM
^^ you an me both. But i think i understand what he's saying.

becuase of the PnP, you've increased the amount of air that is now being introduced cylinder.
The increase in air will be compensated by adding more fuel.
Due to the increase in both... you've now increased the pressure.

This increase in pressure on worn pistons equals... bye bye. So how you solve this?
Increase space in the cylinder. How?

one way is by removing carbon deposits on the piston heads.

I understand what Talon is refering too... But let's say the owner of said vehicle doesn't want to remove the engine. What else can we do?

jri93
09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
you could use a thicker head gasket to slightly reduce compression ratio if your that worried about it. but i think it will be fine as long as the bottom end is healthy.