PDA

View Full Version : Need Left and Right Axles - What are the options?

turkish
09-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Just received some bad news from Honda about my 04' ep3. I need to replace both left and right axles. My symptoms were during acceleration, front-end of the car has severe wobbles while accelerating. I have already replaced motor+tranny mount. I have a reliable contact at Honda, he tore down the axles for me and confirmed they are both bad. The parts guy gave me wholesale pricing for the axles, my cost is a whopping $1,327.20 from Honda.... ouch!! I want it fixed right and no headaches, but this price is expensive. Are there any aftermarket axles or performace that are reliable to consider? I usually use Import Auto Salvage in NC for used oem parts but i'm not sure if i should take a chance with used axles? Does the 06' type s axles fit the ep3? Maybe i can find a set with low milage.

let me know what you guys recommend

usedep3
09-14-2010, 10:09 AM
you can use aftermarket OEM spec axles sold at autozone/pepboys/advance auto/etc. don't bother asking for EP3 axles, they almost never have to correct ones. the DC5 (RSX) base axles will fit. They are a slightly longer (1/4-1/2") but they work fine. They will bolt without any issues. IIRC they were about $70 per side, brand new and included new axle nut & c-clip. You could also buy remanufactured ones for about $10-$20 less, but you either have to pay a core charge or return your old axles.

I am currently running the GSP OEM Spec Base RSX Axles. both sides without any problems.

LINK (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?57992-EP3-CV-axles-same-as-DC5-base&highlight=)

You could also run DSS axles. they range in sizes for different HP applications. they're level 0 is suppose to be the oem equivalent. They were on sale last month for approx $150 (i believe) per side.

beechstreet
09-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I have the EMPI brand axles on my 04. each one was about $60. I've had them on there for about 25000 miles without any problems.

turkish
09-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if i want to buy axles again from Advanced Auto but maybe you guys can give me some feedback because the price is really good. I had an EG and replaced the axles with GSP axles from Advanced and they began to wobble as soon as they were installed but the mechanic was not honest so i can blame GSP completely. I am trying to understand what you mean when you say "GSP OEM Spec Base RSX Axles"? Do I ask for RSX or CIVIC SI and are there different Specs?

My EP is a daily driver so i'm just looking for something reliable, OEM, no issues or wobbles. No plans for more HP.

What's the next step or 2 up from GSP?

beechstreet
09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
like usedep3 wrote, any auto parts store you go to like kragen, advance auto, autozone, napa, etc. will most likely give you axles for a civic dx, ex, hx, whatever. I worked at a kragen and the axles they had listed for the EP3 were for a civic EX coupe. Most of the parts systems these stores use bundle the EP3 with the Em2. Since the base model RSX and EP3 are almost identical in replacement parts (and both have the k20a3) just ask for base model 5/spd RSX axles. We use EMPI brand axles at the shop I work for and have never had a problem with them, which was one of the reasons I went with EMPI.

usedep3
09-14-2010, 09:17 PM
GSP, DSS, EMPI among others are just different manufacturers of aftermarket, oem replacement axles.

Just ask for 2004 non-type s (base) RSX axles.

showoff3civic
09-15-2010, 07:12 AM
do yourself a favor and look at the stock replacements from driveshaft shop.

turkish
09-15-2010, 09:25 AM
do yourself a favor and look at the stock replacements from driveshaft shop.

Can you recommend a good vendor to purchase DSS from? I found a set for $359.99 but looking for cheaper - RA4005L0 & RA4002L0 Level 0

showoff3civic
09-22-2010, 06:17 AM
i bought mine from DSS

turkish
09-24-2010, 01:28 PM
UPDATE!!

I just wanted to let everyone know how this worked out for me, maybe it will be helpful for others. I decided to go with EMPI axles. Ordered them from JC Whitney, and I also decided to specifiy 2004 honda civic si instead of the base rsx. I figured out on their website t though, hat you have input 2003 for the year inorder to pull up the 2.0 SI K20A3, otherwise all you get is 1.7 lx, dx and the fit. I confirmed the part number with the manufacturer. the first place i called tried to sell me the 99-00 si axles. the second place tried to different brands. I called jc whitney and they tried to sell me the wrong axles at first but i specified the manufacturer parts number and order based off that instead fo the vechile.

anyhow, just picked up the car from Honda and its straight as shit, axles were the same size. this manfacturer has a specific axles for the ep3 so you dont have to use the base rsx when ordering.

Here's the correct part number for ep3:

80-3222
80-3228

ep-unit
12-16-2011, 04:07 PM
i had to go back three times because my axles were wrong, apparently the listings are wrong, now i had to order and have to wait 3-5 days and hopefully this time its right

02_epdriver
12-18-2011, 11:57 PM
King is cheapest I bought my DSS axels their. Right now you can get each side for 179.00 a piece

AKEP
12-19-2011, 01:39 AM
^^^ i thought they even had the stage one's for the same price as oem axles anyways...thats what i would buy.