PDA

View Full Version : Need input on 2002 ep I found for sale

Traction
09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey all. I'm currently looking for a 2002 honda emp3 and one of my favorites from all the listings was this one. It's a 2002 honda civic si with 89,000 miles. It has an aftermarket header, full catback gready exhaust, 5 lug wheels, type r brakes, full type r body kit. and coils. He says everything thats from the r is JDM. Also the clutch was replaced recently.

Drove it today and everything seemed fine. Everything works including, ac, windows, blinkers, etc. It does need a alignment though.

A few things that bothered me is that the type r side skirts seem to be drilled with a bunch of screws, some even already loose from the side skirt. The car has been rear ended once and recently had a small hit again on the rear... Just a few paint chips as a result which was recent. He's asking for 7,500. I've seen plenty of these cars way cheaper with less miles but this one kept getting my attention. What do you guys think? I'm coming from the dub world and very new with honda's.

Here are the pics
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0069.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0070.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0067.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0064.jpg
Type R wheels 5 lug. I think he said they are not reps.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0057.jpg
Interior is clean and fresh.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0056.jpg
On both sides where the side skirts are fitted it's being hold by these screws. Is that normal? or very unprofessional?

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0054.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0061.jpg
Engine bay is clean.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/cleverlines11/IMAG0062.jpg

There are 2 little yellow boxes on both sides. He says those are for the hid's

So what do you guys think? Legit? Should I jump on it? or keep looking. What's a fair price tag? Again he wants 7,500 for it. Used to want 8,000.

Help me out guys.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
09-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Thats not normal for the side skirts. check to make sure there is no rust where they drilled. Those are probably replica sides and not OEM ones. Run a carfax on it to see how many owners it had.

POOPTOOTH
09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Hmmm, that first pic I was like :mtongue::mtongue::mtongue:

Then the next few pics I was more like :mfrown:

It looks like the car has a TON of potential, the exterior looks sick(minus the sketchy skirt mounting), Is that Cosmic Grey Pearl? Stock motor? What suspension?

With a little TLC that could be a REALLY dope EP.

jed_averill
09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
If exterior is your only issue then you shouldn't have nothing to worry about. 7500 I think is a good deal.

Traction
09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Not really sure what color it is.. It's on race land coils. I have heard good and bad things about them. I'm planing on getting new coils if I do purchase the car. The owner showed me a car fax when he got it, which was last updated on october 2009. Had 2 owners for a couple of years and 1 for only 4 days. The third owner just bought it and sold it. So it has had 4 owners and 3 of them actually used the car. I'm going to run another car fax and see the update. I just need to make a account unless any of you guys can run me one. The current owner needs a truck and thats why he's selling. I did not find any rust where it was drilled.

The owner told me the kit is JDM and even bought the foglights. He just hasn't installed them yet.

BeaterEP
09-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Hmm...except for the sideskirt install, looks pretty good.
I'm always leery of modded used cars, though. If I were looking for a used EP, I'd want one that grandma drove. Trust me, they're out there. Can't tell you how many times I've rolled up at a light on an EP all "Hey, who's this?" then looked over to see some blue hair LOL.

jgn6848
09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
other than the sloppy bodywork, it seems like a good deal (decent paint, rsx seats, good wheels and mileage). What motor is he running.. looks like a k20a3 with an rsx cover

ttttrigg3r
09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Looks like rust. I dont think the ep is supposed to be rusty yet. Whoa type R badge. a type R for less than 8g? JUMP ON IT. no i'm kidding. I say no don't get it. Try to find a 04-05

Traction
09-14-2010, 08:56 PM
It has a k20a3 motor.

REBUILT CIVIC
09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
yeah its a good deal. buy it and if u dont like it part it out and make some money.

Traction
09-15-2010, 11:29 AM
The kit was put on by the previous owner. He said he told him its JDM and that body experts told him that as well.. How can I know the kit and wheels are JDM? Is it possible for me to reinstall the kit correctly? or I have to buy another whole kit again? Also the srs light is on because of the rsx seats and the check engine light is on because of the catback.

robotichatch
09-15-2010, 01:22 PM
you gotta think of it how it is man, thats a si thats been made to look like a type-r.
i wouldnt do it man.

find an ol pep pep with one and talk him back into fords or whatever pep peps used to be down for driving

willy_akino
09-15-2010, 03:13 PM
i say do it! jdm kits now are expensive plus it comes with a 5lug with ctr wheels. make sure u do a carfax n if everything is good i say get it!

Distance
09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
car looks halfassed and beat up. id walk away. car looks great exterior wise but once u start snoopin for stuff its probably gona be a nightmare.

sleepy ep3
09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Buy it

BeaterEP
09-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Checking all the way in to the "Don't Do It!!!" camp now. The more I think about it, the more I think this car is probably beat. Shitty sideskirt install, shit's already throwing a couple different codes, been through at least two owners including the one selling it to you.
Nah, no good. Find a clean one, leave this mudtrap for some sucker. :thumbd:

usedep3
09-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Also the srs light is on because of the rsx seats

just bc there are RSX seats in the car doesnt mean that that's why the SRS light is on. i had rsx leathers in my old ep and never had a problem with the srs light. something else might be faulty and srs components are not cheap.

also, that has to be the worst side skirt install i have ever seen..

don't do it. if you buy a modded EP, buy an EP from our classified's section from a reputable member.

Traction
09-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Alright thanks guys. I'll just walk away from this one... Honestly what I'm looking is a ep3 or a em1. I talked to the owner and he told me its drilled into the door wells but not the frame and the dark stuff is just dirt. He said he got the codes checked at a auto zone and found only the seats and the exhaust problem. I'll keep looking around. I liked the rides here but they are all sold.... If you guys got something let me know. I'm in miami, florida.

VIZHUNZ02SI
09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
isnt that mad hatters ep3 in miami florida

ep3colin
09-15-2010, 10:15 PM
doesnt look too bad, i kinda like

7500 sounds like a good deal too

widebodyeg
09-16-2010, 01:34 AM
looks like a good deal, as long as it runs good and there are no mechanical problems, cosmetic issues are not a problem

BeaterEP
09-16-2010, 05:48 PM
looks like a good deal, as long as it runs good and there are no mechanical problems, cosmetic issues are not a problem

I'd consider multiple CELs a mechanical problem when looking at a used car LOL.

Traction
09-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I guess I'll keep looking.... If anyone is or knows someone selling a ep3, em1 or a srt4 in any part of the florida area( I'm in miami) pm me.Thanks for all the input. Feel free to add more if you want. I still sort of like this car... just sucks it might not turn out so well.

VIZHUNZ02SI
09-16-2010, 06:50 PM
take your pic
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/cars-sale-wanted/
there's a s/c ep3 in here for 6900

usedep3
09-16-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?54515-2003-civic-si-miami-fl&p=799366#post799366

this one's available in FL. it even has a swap

K20wagon
09-16-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?54515-2003-civic-si-miami-fl&p=799366#post799366

Ya go check this one out. Its in miami florida and I actually like the yellow color. Its swapped and has the 5 lug conversion on it.

Traction
09-16-2010, 08:28 PM

Yeah, that one looks great. Sent him a pm a while ago. I'm waiting for a response from him. Isn't though 125k miles a little to much though? I don't understand if it's just the motor or even the car it self. Anyone know him?

Johnny
09-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Paint looks dull and worn, panels aren't aligned right, interior looks worn down, and it's been in a few accidents. Is that rust coming from the skirts area around the screws?

I say no. You can find a wayyy cleaner cars for the same price. Mine is 10 times cleaner, an 2004, and would sell mine (if I was selling it) for about the same price.

Question is, do you want a car with JDM parts but might give you some trouble down the road or a better car but in stock form. Just do the right thing and don't think about the JDM parts. That's something any EP can have.

Traction
09-21-2010, 02:56 PM
He dropped the price to 6,500. He said he will fix the skirts for me and include another set of wheels and tires. I drove it and it seemed fine. It was smooth, the clutch was fine, went into gears like butter. The paint is a little worn... I could get it repainted later on. The interior seemed fine when I stepped in. Remember this has now 80k miles. I'm going to check what is causing the srs light and check engine light.

username011
09-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Man, the owner of that car is a dumb ass..but those are some sick parts and all those parts on that car are SKY ROCKETING in value, if you get a stock form EP,.. chances are itll stay stock exterior once you find out how much JDM bumpers are worth and the cost of rebars and everything..plus that is a sick color..

Hondas are bullet proof, it might have some problems but it wont fail you I can promise you you'll see 500 broken down Fords and Chevys befor your EP breaks down. so snatch this ep up!!

mangvue05si
09-21-2010, 04:05 PM
srs... sounds like he took off the seats

EDU
09-21-2010, 04:33 PM
i have an '02 ssm that i will sell it to you since you are looking for one, around the same miles VERY clean and stored during winters. pm me if you interested, the only down side that i see is that im located clear the hell in MN..... lol
here are some pics if you are interested:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/EDU_077/4630011611_5d364de978_b-1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/EDU_077/4848615892_cbb5763e47_b.jpg

Garrett
09-21-2010, 05:18 PM
the parts are nice and expensive, but it just looks like it was put together sloppily.. honestly since im a jdm whore i would scoop this.. but in the long run it might not be worth it.. did you ask him why he's going so low on the price?

Traction
09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
srs... sounds like he took off the seats

He did. The car has rsx seats.

Man, the owner of that car is a dumb ass..but those are some sick parts and all those parts on that car are SKY ROCKETING in value, if you get a stock form EP,.. chances are itll stay stock exterior once you find out how much JDM bumpers are worth and the cost of rebars and everything..plus that is a sick color..

Hondas are bullet proof, it might have some problems but it wont fail you I can promise you you'll see 500 broken down Fords and Chevys befor your EP breaks down. so snatch this ep up!!

How can I see that they are authentic JDM bumpers? Why is he a dumbass??

the parts are nice and expensive, but it just looks like it was put together sloppily.. honestly since im a jdm whore i would scoop this.. but in the long run it might not be worth it.. did you ask him why he's going so low on the price?

He wants a truck he has had his eye on. The guy has it ready for him but this guy needs the cash.

Oh and btw. The paint looks dull because it's missing clearcoat.

usedep3
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, that one looks great. Sent him a pm a while ago. I'm waiting for a response from him. Isn't though 125k miles a little to much though? I don't understand if it's just the motor or even the car it self. Anyone know him?

i bought my car with 110k on the clock this past april. no problems or regrets.

ep3colin
09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
shoot i would've pick it up for 6500 if i was closer, i payed 8200 after taxes for my 03 with 64k on the clock

until240
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Isn't though 125k miles a little to much though?

I bought mine with 140k :)

gamma6
09-21-2010, 09:14 PM
damn 140k sounds like a lot, i bought mine with ~60k last july, but the sideskirts are a bit sketchy tho...

until240
09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
damn 140k sounds like a lot, i bought mine with ~60k last july, but the sideskirts are a bit sketchy tho...

It is a lot, no doubt about it. But I got it for a steal, and it's what I wanted: white, no mods. Except this stupid loud axle-back that I hate.

Besides, knowing me, I'll want to do a swap later on, so when the motor goes, no biggie. K24 here I come!

Traction
09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Would I be able to fix the side skirts and mount them correctly? I also want to either put the clear coat on the whole car(it's missing) or repaint again.

until240
09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Would I be able to fix the side skirts and mount them correctly? I also want to either put the clear coat on the whole car(it's missing) or repaint again.

Yes the sideskirts can be fixed. You would need to get them molded into the body properly.

Clearcoat on the whole car doesn't seem very likely. Unless they can somehow sand down just the clearcoat...you'll have to repaint the car.

If you decide to repaint the car, the proper sequence would be to get the kit molded in, then repaint the whole car.

Traction
09-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Yes the sideskirts can be fixed. You would need to get them molded into the body properly.

Clearcoat on the whole car doesn't seem very likely. Unless they can somehow sand down just the clearcoat...you'll have to repaint the car.

If you decide to repaint the car, the proper sequence would be to get the kit molded in, then repaint the whole car.

Hmm. I'll have to get a quote with my paint guy. How much will all that run me? Of course first I'll keep it for a while and see how the car really is. If it's fine then I'll start spending some cash here and there to fix the problems on the exterior.

until240
09-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Hmm. I'll have to get a quote with my paint guy. How much will all that run me? Of course first I'll keep it for a while and see how the car really is. If it's fine then I'll start spending some cash here and there to fix the problems on the exterior.

It's kinda difficult to give you a price for paint/bodywork. It just depends. Also, with paint, most of the cost is incurred during prep. Better prep=better end result, but more expensive. That's how those Maaco paintjobs are 300 bucks or whatever. But it also depends on how much you're willing to spend. You should get the best paintjob you can afford.

The type/brand of paint will change the cost significantly. I'd say you could get a VERY good paintjob and get your sideskirts in for about 3k.

until240
09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh and speaking of prep. You'll need to find out how they'll paint your car. A PROPER paintjob will be $$$ because you need to take the car apart. Remove all doors, trim, engine, etc so you can paint all the nooks and crannies.

The cheapo method would be to just sand it down and prep it yourself, and take it Maaco and get a quick spray. That should last you at least a few years until you figure out if you want a real paintjob.

mangvue05si
09-22-2010, 05:36 PM
For me, if it DOESNT GRIND, I would get as a 2nd car, seem like what you pay... what you get :)

Traction
09-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Well it was going to be my daily.. I currently have a 2008 Gti mk5 on lease. It ends this month. I took care of it real well and it only has 26,000 miles on it as of now. I decided to convert it into a purchase. Got a deal with a low monthly payment I couldn't give up. It's currently running on stage 2 Revo software and other goodies. I think it's best for me just to keep it and finish paying her off. Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I'll stick around. I do like these ep3's If anything it could be my second car in the future..

BeaterEP
09-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Man, all of this just keeps adding up to "WALK THE FUCK AWAY" in my book. :shrug: