PDA

View Full Version : How do you replace front brake pads?

goy091
12-12-2002, 01:47 AM
hey guys, in preperation for a track event at Buttonwillow i got some new brake pads. so i was wondering how do you install them? i was thinking, take off caliper, take off those metal clips, compress the piston with a C clamp and then put in the new pads? any advice is appreciated.

thanks!

Suk02Si
12-12-2002, 02:15 AM
Is the event on the 13th? if it is then I think DocofMind is gonna be there with his yellow S2000.

Sorry I couldn't help with your pads, but if you pm Doc he should be able to help you out; he has his own brake/suspension shop.;)

SPEEDEP
12-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Ya you got the basics. Make shure you clean all the contacts between the pads and the calipers. Then lube them with anti-cease. Be carfull not to rip the boot on the piston. If your new pads come with shims use them. With out the shims your brakes could get loud.

nikkotyper
12-13-2002, 10:12 PM
If you got semi-race or race pads it is always a good idea to sand down the rotor as well. Although, your car is fairly new so it will not matter much.

chunky
12-13-2002, 11:05 PM
make sure you follow proper bedding-in procedure for your new pads.

also, you don't have to remove the caliper, just remove the lower caliper bolt, swing the caliper up. remove the pads from the pad bracket, install new pads, compress piston with c-clamp, re-position caliper & tighten bolt down.

ssvr6
12-13-2002, 11:54 PM
A drill with a wire brush attachment is normally good for cleaning the rotors.

Steve