PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust rattle

EPo3Hatch
09-17-2010, 05:12 PM
okay so I bought an Apexi WS2 a while back brand new. Put it on the car and it was great. When it rains or gets hot from over 2 hours of driving it will start to rattle, or hit the floorboard. I took it off and retightened all of the bolts and the hangers are fine, as well as the rubber mounts. I can move the midpipe around easily....? I know where it is hitting, Im just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Ive read some threads where people suggest heat resistant rubber mounts against the midpipe and floorboard but there isnt any feedback of how it works. thanks

jgn6848
09-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I had the same exact problem. I think it has something to do with running a larger exhaust with a higher expansion/contraction index. mine used to rattle so bad when it rained that it drowned my radio. I solved the problem by using longer harder/newer rubber mounts and some steel zip ties (exhaust heat wrap ties) from o'riellys to limit the movement of the exhaust. I also sprayed a good amount of undercarriage insulation on the points where the exhaust hit the floorboard. The idea was to lower the exhaust then firmly secure it to limit movement. Be aware that you do need movement to prevent craking or noise..... but not too much. I did this was like 9 months ago.....Never had a problem since!

makavelibranded
09-17-2010, 05:56 PM
check to see if its rubbing against your rear sway, thats a common spot.

k20a3EP3
09-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I had/have the same problem with my Tenabe Medallion Touring.

Its probobly hitting at the first bend right after the cat. I removed a heat shield and it solved a lot of the problem. Also, make sure you torque the nuts on the cat. I had one that was a little loose and it solved all my rattle when the car was running in dry conditions.

I haven't had a problem since except one torrential downpour. and going through a big puddle. That was also when it was hot out. It has cooled down in the North East and has rained the past few days so i decided to see if it rattled still. Drove through an OK sized puddle with no rattle. Perhaps because its cool out now? I dunno.

I figure if it happens only a few times a year when it is raining like crazy then its not a big deal. But check out my thread. Search "rattle" and find the one i posted on. Some decent info there.

I also have some exhaust insulation that i may use to pad the undercarriage if I ever shake the laziness.

k20a3EP3
09-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I had the same exact problem. I think it has something to do with running a larger exhaust with a higher expansion/contraction index. mine used to rattle so bad when it rained that it drowned my radio. I solved the problem by using longer harder/newer rubber mounts and some steel zip ties (exhaust heat wrap ties) from o'riellys to limit the movement of the exhaust. I also sprayed a good amount of undercarriage insulation on the points where the exhaust hit the floorboard. The idea was to lower the exhaust then firmly secure it to limit movement. Be aware that you do need movement to prevent craking or noise..... but not too much. I did this was like 9 months ago.....Never had a problem since!

I have searched high and low for new hangers. Did you get universal ones? What size? Whered you buy them?

.colin
09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
I have searched high and low for new hangers. Did you get universal ones? What size? Whered you buy them?

j's racing and cusco sell new hangers but they are mucho $$$. i believe corsport or one of the other vendors on here sells polyurethane hangers.

makavelibranded
09-28-2010, 02:57 PM

any exhaust shop should be able to help you out, since it just modding the hangers it shouldint be much to weld

Garrett
09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I also had/have this problem... i have a ws2 and it hits the floorboard right by the first bend by the cat. I just heat wrapped mine a pretty ample amount. It no longer rattles at all during the day unless i down shift. But when it rains it bangs hah, i was looking into new hangers but dont really know what/where to get them

sleepy ep3
09-28-2010, 09:07 PM
check to see if its rubbing against your rear sway, thats a common spot.

True that

EPo3Hatch
10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
yeah bro I heat wrapped the sh*t out of it and it still knocks when it rains. I know its at the first bend because of the rubbing wear on the piping. I just assume because there is little clearance between the pipping and the floorboard. Our stock pipping is like 4 times smaller than the ws2.

jgn6848
10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
try removing the heatshield .If this doesn't work you might need a good exhaust shop to change the angle. Hate to say it...but they might chop up your pretty exhaust

matt.walton
10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I had the EXACT SAME problem with my WS2, I thought it was my Injen CAI sucking water for a long time causing some serious issue with my motor, it wasnt untill much later that I released it was hitting the floor of the car. I actually had a broken motor mount as well so mine was hitting super hard. Does anyone know why this happens?!

mrpotatohead
10-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I had this problem as well. A lot of mine came from the flexing when the motor torqued causing the mid section of the exhaust to "slap" the bottom of the car. It was hella annoying and pretty embarrasing when I had passangers in the car asking and having to try to explain it...like they cared lol. I welded up some brackets on the part that was flopping up and down to make it more stationary. If you look under you car you can see there aren't any down the middle of the exhaust. It did help and when I went turbo it doesn't do it at all anymore. The custom piping made a perfect fit. If you have access to a lift, sit in the car or have a friend you trust sit in it and give it a couple of start offs in gear off and on so you can see exactly how it it causing your issue. That may help you find a solution.

EPo3Hatch
10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Okay so this might help for those with the apexi ws2 that rattles. there are two hangers right before the axel on the exhaust but you only have one hanger on the car. I had my exhaust mounted on the left hanger if your looking towards the rear of the car. If you switch to the right it may help. its been raining a lot here in Md and it has yet to rattle. Goodluck hope this helps!

matt.walton
10-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Awesome tips dude, really what i was wondering about tho, is not how to fix the rattle, but specifically WHY it happens. Everyone including myself seems to have the problem when it is raining, any ideas as to why this would be caused by rain, but not happen in any other situations?

talonXracer
10-07-2010, 06:26 AM
There is a very easy solution to this problem, though it isnt cheap, that is a proper ceramic coating. I had this issue real bad before having the header ceramic coated. The coating RETAINS the heat within the header and this keeps the heat in the exhaust enough to keep the aft sections hot enough to overcome direct water cooling of the exhaust pipe and the resulting heat cycling causing the entire exhaust to vibrate and bang around.

A large dia exhaust will be even more prone to this.

Another downside is that a reversion wave is set up within the exhaust, this reversion wave cancels out the scavenging affect and it will seem as if the engine had just lost alot of power and the exhaust/engine sounds change drastically.

jjr007
10-07-2010, 07:05 AM
I bought some of those silicone rubber, high heat resistant pot holders, and was thinking of pop riveting a couple to the heat shield near the cat. Have not gotten around to doing it however. I am waiting til I have access to a lift (trying to drill holes lying under a car is a pain in the ass, and neck.).

EPo3Hatch
10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
yeah I was thinking of the silicone heat pads as well but i wanted try switching hangers first and its worked well for me so far.