PDA

View Full Version : Loud noise while braking

USAF EP3
09-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey all, well after an hour of searching and googling, I've come up with nothing and I need to have an idea what the problem is before I dive into it tomorrow. So I just recently replaced my rear brake pads last weekend and as I was driving off once I would softly touch the pedal I would hear a very loud humming/rubbing noise coming from the rear passenger side, but if I push harder it doesn't do it. To make sure it was the back I slowly lifted the E-brake and before it hits a few clicks it started make that noise and again, once I pull it harder it goes away/doesn't make the noise. Now I did everything properly when it came to replacing the pads so I'm just crossing my fingers it's not a caliper problem. The noise has been getting worse as the week went on. Anyone have any ideas?

Twisted-X
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm sure the vets will chime in here sometime, but here's what comes to my mind to check.

Did you use any shims behind the pads? There is also some rubber anti-squeal stuff you can get at auto stores that you put on the back of the pads to hold them to the caliper piston under light brake application to keep the pads from vibrating.

Not to insult your intelligence, but you did put the alignment pegs on the pads into the slots in the caliper pistons, correct?

USAF EP3
09-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I put the pads in correctly and you can't screw that up because they only go in one way on both sides. I used the shims, but didn't grease them. I don't think greasing them would make a difference anyways because the rear driver side is fine. I've done brake pads before on both of my Integras and Civics and this job wasn't any different other than this problem I ran into. I've never ran into any problems doing my own pads and/or rotors.

Twisted-X
09-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Like i said, I'm not trying to be a dick, I was just throwing ideas. Since I live in the rust belt, I've had trouble with caliper slide pins rusting up to the point where they don't slide anymore. This causes lots of fun scrapey noises until you give it a fair amount of pedal to force the caliper to center. You don't live in the rust belt so this probably doesn't apply...

USAF EP3
09-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Well that's where it gets screwy, a 2 month old baby can barely push the pedal and it will result in this VERY LOUD humming/rubbing noise. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'll still check the slide pins tomorrow though it's worth a shot.

Twisted-X
09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Just curious, did you figure out the problem?

VIZHUNZ02SI
09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
yeah he did, he had to get the rotor turned/ resurfaced. and boy let me tell ya' noob's that fail to research turn to cry babies