PDA

View Full Version : Causes for premature Tie Rod Ends (OEM Honda)

codyep3
09-17-2010, 09:54 PM
So basically im ranting because less than 2k miles i replaced the tie rod ends, and now they are leaking. I ordered from honda. Any ideas to why they would be shot after 2k miles? seriously. Phew

Ronnie
09-18-2010, 12:21 AM
U lowered ?
if so then stock tie rod ends usually last for 1K ~ 2K
do u have a lot of play ???

codyep3
09-18-2010, 12:42 AM
not much. Im only lowered 1inch. No way that OEM tie rods only last 1-2k miles. So every interval i need to pay 50 bucks x2? Every year pay 600 dollars a year on tie rod ends alone?

codyep3
09-18-2010, 12:43 AM
are there any aftermarket ones that will last?

talonXracer
09-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Just because the rubber boots are leaking DOES NOT mean the tierod end is bad, only that a boot during install or you added abunch of grease during the install and it is simply expelling excess grease(like eating a whole turkey and then having a kid jump up and down on your stomach, you will leak as well, LOL). Factory boots are only 1.44$ each

codyep3
09-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Well maybe it's not my outer tie rod end. What are the symptoms of the worn inner tie rods? I just suspected that it was my outer ends because I looked and saw grease leaking all over. I have loss of tight turning so it has some extra movement. Think I should replace the boot? But if I do, Hondas ones don't have any place to add grease

56chevydan
09-18-2010, 06:40 PM
If there's grease flung up around your inner wheelwell, you've probably have a tear in the outside axle boot of that drive axle.
When your front wheels are turning, centrifugal force of a drive axle will throw grease out of the torn part in an axle boot.
It usually happens in the outboard boot of an axle.

codyep3
09-18-2010, 08:44 PM
If there's grease flung up around your inner wheelwell, you've probably have a tear in the outside axle boot of that drive axle.
When your front wheels are turning, centrifugal force of a drive axle will throw grease out of the torn part in an axle boot.
It usually happens in the outboard boot of an axle.

It is my tie rod ends because grease is only on the tie rod end lol. And loss of turning and handling wouldn't realy have to do with the cv joint boot

Ronnie
09-18-2010, 09:28 PM
You still did not answer my question though:
how do u know your tie rod ends are bad ??
do u have alot of play in front wheels ??

and just like TalonXracer said:

Just because the rubber boots are leaking DOES NOT mean the tierod end is bad

56chevydan
09-18-2010, 09:35 PM
It is my tie rod ends because grease is only on the tie rod end lol. And loss of turning and handling wouldn't realy have to do with the cv joint boot
When you mentioned that grease had "leaked all over" in post #6, it's hard to follow what exactly you were saying. All over where? And if you have torn a cv joint boot, and have driven on it very long or hard, it can cause the joint to loosen/ fail with the lack of grease. That could affect the steering.

I've never seen excess grease come out of a tierod boot on an EP3. I suppose if you used an aftermarket outside tierod end, with a grease fitting, and over lubricated the tierod with a grease gun, you could have excess grease on the boot???

To try and help you diagnose the problem, why don't you lift the EP up with jacks under the lift points on the side behind the front wheels and support the car? Unlock your ignition steering lock and then work the wheels side to side and see if there's play anywhere in the rack/tierods/tierod ends. Especially look in the area where you've found the excess grease.

codyep3
09-18-2010, 09:35 PM
yes, I did answer your question, in which I said that I have a lot of movement. I don't have any other information to add to this topic. I have loss of handling and tightness in the steering, attributed to worn tie rod ends. I am asking if there were any tests to try and figure out if my inner rods were worn too, because when I last replaced my ends, i noticed that the inner rods were very loose