PDA

View Full Version : Checking radiator fan switch for continuity

until240
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
So I'm in the process of troubleshooting my radiator fan. I'm trying to trace the fan switch connector back to it's ground but I'm having trouble doing this. The wire loom is hiding everything and I don't want to start hacking things apart without knowing what I'm doing.

Anyone have any tips/knowledge they want to share?

until240
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Another semi-related question: Is it normal for civic radiator hoses to be soft after the radiator's been bled? I'm used to having a fully bled radiator having firm hoses. The hoses being easily compressible indicates that there's still air in the system. Is there some special process I'm not doing?

Also, do civics normally run very cool? My radiator fan isn't running and the coolant temp never gets above the middle of the gauge. And this is after idling for a good 20 minutes.

PREJDMLUDE
09-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Another semi-related question: Is it normal for civic radiator hoses to be soft after the radiator's been bled? I'm used to having a fully bled radiator having firm hoses. The hoses being easily compressible indicates that there's still air in the system. Is there some special process I'm not doing?

Also, do civics normally run very cool? My radiator fan isn't running and the coolant temp never gets above the middle of the gauge. And this is after idling for a good 20 minutes.
if soft simply replace the hose. if you burb the radiator there should be no air in system. fans usually kick in pretty late, if you think you have been waiting give it some gas to about 3k rpms and they will kick on....

until240
09-20-2010, 01:37 PM
if soft simply replace the hose. if you burb the radiator there should be no air in system. fans usually kick in pretty late, if you think you have been waiting give it some gas to about 3k rpms and they will kick on....

I have been revving it to 3k. The original question was posed because the fan isn't turning on. It only turns on when the a/c is on, which according to the fsm means there is a problem with the fan switch connector.

PREJDMLUDE
09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
sent pm

until240
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM
sent pm

pm replied.

until240
09-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Ok. So found this thread:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?57973-water-temp-sensor

But not sure how much help that was. Tomorrow I'll go and see if I'm throwing any codes and go from there.

Also, I realized my hoses could be soft because the cooling system isn't pressurizing. New radiator cap maybe?

until240
09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Can anyone tell me where ground 'G301' is located? Please??

until240
09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Fixed it. Connector had continuity and voltage, so bought a new fan switch for $50 from the dealership.