PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Alternator

lazeebeast35
09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Not sure if im a total idiot at searching or if its just never been posted. Trying to find a thread on DIY alternator replacement. Can someone send me this thread or just help me out with some info?? Thanks

si.hatch
09-21-2010, 05:31 PM
i was looking at mine yesterday when i had my headlights out to paint them, and there are 2 bolts on the bottom of the alt and 1 at the top. highly suggest you take the front bumper off and passenger headlight out

lazeebeast35
09-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah i was hoping there was another way lol

AUTiger
09-21-2010, 05:47 PM
i was sort of wondering about replacement of mine today. My mechanic called me to say that my new k24a1 is in and cranked up the first try and all was well with the motor. Only thing was that there was a noise that they narrowed down to the alternator and I want a noise free car so I may replace mine at some point

lazeebeast35
09-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Yeah, mine been making a noise so i changed two of the pulleys and the belt already. And now ive narrowed it down to the alternator. I took a screwdriver and stuck it on everything and it was the loudest on the alternator. Now just trying to figure out the easiet way to do it.

si.hatch
09-21-2010, 06:24 PM
if the headlight is out is the belt is off is should be easy enought to get a wrench in there, and then diconnect the wires after its off. but ive never done it and im sure i would have some kind of frustration with it, haha

Deadphishy
09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
No need to take the head lamp, or bumper off. All you need to do is remove the Intake manifold, and everything that includes. Lift it up and set it ontop of the head with everything still attached. You will have to remover the fuel line. Take the belt off, un-bolt it, and bolt the new one back on. Took me an hour last time i did it when i tried switching to k20a2 alternator.

si.hatch
09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
No need to take the head lamp, or bumper off. All you need to do is remove the Intake manifold, and everything that includes. Lift it up and set it ontop of the head with everything still attached. You will have to remover the fuel line. Take the belt off, un-bolt it, and bolt the new one back on. Took me an hour last time i did it when i tried switching to k20a2 alternator.

what is the advantage of an a2 alt? more amperage? if so, i need to look into that

lazeebeast35
09-24-2010, 06:24 PM
LOL OMFG. I should've read this post earlier. Yeah i changed the alternator already and i went with taking off the bumper and headlight off. Even had to take of one of the pulleys and unbolt the radiator and ac condensor just to fit my arms through. So stupid lol. Well now i know. Also, the alternator i got (from HMO), was different than my stock. The plug instead of coming staight into the side, plugged from under the alternator. What motor did this come from??

Deadphishy
09-24-2010, 09:08 PM
what is the advantage of an a2 alt? more amperage? if so, i need to look into that

The A2 alt is the same as the a3, The pulleys on the end are different sizes. I was trying to get fancy.